PDA

View Full Version : sidewall puncture...

hondarider2006
01-05-2004, 02:15 PM
I was wondering if I was to take a truck, and try to break the bead on my stock front tire, if it will ruin my tire? I have a sidewall hole, and theplugs just arn't holding, so I was going to patch it from the inside. Should I do this, or is there anyother way that I can fix the hole. Also any other suggestions about breaking the bead? Thanks -Nick-

JTRtrx250r
01-05-2004, 03:09 PM
Ive seen ppl take a 2x4 and drive up it w/ a truck to break the bead, (real glad I have a bead breaker lol) ,Ive also done what your talking about,altho I made it work...it wasnt too reliable,

I patched the inside and the outside of the sidewall puncture,eventually it tore the outside patch away and let the puncture fill w/ dirt....which in turn made the inner patch leak:rolleyes: I ended up w/ a tube and more patches till I got new set of meats:o :D

Juggalo
01-05-2004, 09:01 PM
we tried drivin my dads box truck up on a 2x4 to break the bead on one of my tries once, not only did it not even come close to breaking the bead, the 2x4 broke! your prob gonna have to pay somebody to do it for you, their a bia!

01-05-2004, 09:09 PM
pay someone to get them off if they are stock...I dont know why but these are very difficult to get off... I can easily get my tires off right now which are aftermarket with my truck by doing that procedure. ;)

JTRtrx250r
01-05-2004, 09:24 PM
stockers are always a PITA,especially the ones that have been on 15 yrs, puts my beadbreaker to thru hell haha

hondarider2006
01-06-2004, 12:37 PM
Originally posted by JTRtrx250r
stockers are always a PITA,especially the ones that have been on 15 yrs, puts my beadbreaker to thru hell haha

15 years??:eek2:

suprised that they just didn't wear off by than;)

Meek
01-07-2004, 01:17 AM
Originally posted by JTRtrx250r
(real glad I have a bead breaker lol)

What kind do you have?
Your PM box is full.

JTRtrx250r
01-07-2004, 02:55 AM
The one I have is a JC Whitney floor model,it will do 6" to 12" rims. Ive had it since about 93 and never really knew what kind until I saw it in the JCW catalog, its been the BEST atv shop tool Ive ever owned , and Ive probably swapped at least 150 tires over the yrs..at least!!

I let my buddy barrow mine and he copied it and made his own,its a pretty simple design

They also have a mobile unit thats pretty crude but it works,it's just a handle w/ a nub for the bead thats connected to a peice of flatbar by a section of chain,and is adjustable by the links of the chain...looks more like a mid-evil weapon haha

There's one of the breakers out there that has 2 handles like a pair of bolt-cutters...they work but not as well and seem to tear the bead a bit

If you dont have any luck finding one, I'll barrow a cam and get you some pics and you can make your own(but you'll need a welder;) ) just gimme a yell;)

Meek
01-07-2004, 03:03 AM
Thanks for the info.