PDA

View Full Version : Shorties (your opnion)

Berry
01-05-2004, 12:04 PM
I am just wondering if you guys like the shorty exhaust? Who has one? Who wants one? Think about it, why would you want too cut a 500$ exhaust system that the manufactures spent weeks testing and tuning too get the best performance possible? Dont you think that if making them shorter gave you that much power, they would have made them that way? I am just wondering what is your opinion on this. Thats my opinion.

Pappy
01-05-2004, 12:05 PM
i know several riders who have cut them merely because they got dented from getting hit square in the *** by another quad.

Berry
01-05-2004, 12:06 PM
yes i can understand that because i have a friend that that happened too him. but i dont understand cutting for more power

Pappy
01-05-2004, 12:08 PM
i dunno, i geuss if it made more power with a modded engine more builders would make a shorter can....wait...they do:blah:

01-05-2004, 12:23 PM
Most 4 stroke racers will tell you TC racing is the best exhaust out there. Its as big as a 16oz beer can, very short, very loud and it's made by an engine builder.

Most 4 stroke exhausts are not short becuase there are a lot of DB level restrictions out there that have to be met. The shorter the exhaust the louder it is. So I wouldn't say that short exhausts are not recommended by engine builders but not used just for the fact that they are loud and not welcome at riding areas and some race tracks..

Once i get my maxwell can muffler fully dialed in you guys are gonna chit your britches with the power this thing pumps out. It also only puts out 60 db at peak RPM...:eek2: :eek2:

Pappy
01-05-2004, 12:29 PM
i pc'd that can rico....its pretty damn trick:devil:

MotoX3
01-05-2004, 12:30 PM
Originally posted by Rico
Most 4 stroke racers will tell you TC racing is the best exhaust out there. Its as big as a 16oz beer can, very short, very loud and it's made by an engine builder.

always a refrence to beer:D ....i bet you could tell us the length,width height and weight of any beer at any time:p ...lol j/p

zephead400ex
01-05-2004, 12:36 PM
Originally posted by Pappy
i pc'd that can rico....its pretty damn trick:devil:

...is that how you get the exhaust to smell like bean oil? haha jp!

Berry
01-05-2004, 01:21 PM
i know where your coming from, but people are cutting inches off of HMF, Yoshimura and things like that. i am not complaining, they can do whatever they want with it, but i wouldnt cut it off thinking its going too give me more power...

hondarider2006
01-05-2004, 01:31 PM
I don't think people cut it for power reason. They eaither cut it because it bot smashed in a race, or it sticks out past the grab bar, and they don't want it to get scratched to hell when there quad goes over. I don't think it does much for power, it just makes it shorter, and louder:devil:

nacs400ex
01-05-2004, 01:44 PM
Originally posted by Berry
i know where your coming from, but people are cutting inches off of HMF, Yoshimura and things like that. i am not complaining, they can do whatever they want with it, but i wouldnt cut it off thinking its going too give me more power...

Its called personal preference, get used to it.

01-05-2004, 01:57 PM
Mine is shortened right now by 5 inches. I called bills pipes and asked what would happen if i did cut it before I actually did. The answer from the tech guy was, "It will be louder and you'll loose some topend." :macho

Pappy made a copy of the original question and has it posted in the HMF forum to see what they have to say about shortening your silencer...

YamaWarr0121
01-05-2004, 05:08 PM
I dont own a 400EX, but the TC exhaust is proven and awesome, the second i got that on my quad it just made a world's difference. If it wasn't good then why are almost all the top riders using it? or the same exhaust w/out the name TC.

Its awesome.

HiperEX
01-05-2004, 05:36 PM
does TC have a website? when i get my 450r im goin to either go with them or a lrd

gibson400ex
01-05-2004, 05:45 PM
Originally posted by HiperEX
does TC have a website? when i get my 450r im goin to either go with them or a lrd

i think we are going to run tc w/ our trx450r and here is tc's website:

http://tcracingengines.com

and yamawarrior we run tc our our cdale and all i can say is holy chit.....it is the best exhaust IMO

2001400ex
01-05-2004, 06:00 PM
Once i get my maxwell can muffler fully dialed in you guys are gonna chit your britches with the power this thing pumps out. It also only puts out 60 db at peak RPM...:eek2: :eek2:

That's crazy, I can't wait to get more info about this exhaust...

01-05-2004, 06:28 PM
I'd like to add that the AMA "COULD" inforce sound levels at all AMA sanctuned races and that means the TC racing exhaust will have to go. So before you go out and buy one you might want to hold off or you could be wasting your money. :cool: I"ll have to buy a new exhaust also if they do it...:mad: Good thing the maxwell house can muffler is almost complete...:o

2001400ex
01-05-2004, 06:34 PM
Good thing the maxwell house can muffler is almost complete...:o

I heard that's like 175hp, not sure about that though...I'm thinking like 2-300:D

MotoX3
01-05-2004, 08:02 PM
Originally posted by 2001400ex
I heard that's like 175hp, not sure about that though...I'm thinking like 2-300:D I heard that with the powerbong header its pushin 400+hp:eek2:

2001400ex
01-05-2004, 08:09 PM
That's it?!:blah:

Berry
01-05-2004, 08:30 PM
i can fart more hp's than that! :eek2:

skemp
01-05-2004, 09:27 PM
Good thing the maxwell house can muffler is almost complete...:o

Rico, what size Dynojet main should I run with this exhaust when it comes out? How hard is it to change a main jet? Could you explain it to me?

:D

UglyMotha™
01-06-2004, 09:06 AM
Originally posted by skemp
Rico, what size Dynojet main should I run with this exhaust when it comes out? How hard is it to change a main jet? Could you explain it to me?

:D

rico, skemps probably goin to want you to hold his hand too :o

:p

skemp
01-06-2004, 10:06 AM
I am either going to buy the Maxwell House pipe or just run an open header. I saw a guy on a Big Red ripping it up at the track with no muffler and it was sweet. It added a ton of power, sounded sweet, and you don't even have to rejet! It was cool! :p

01-06-2004, 10:38 AM
running off the headers is really bad...it is really loud...you LOSE performance & if you dont rejet it will kill your engine :rolleyes:

300exQuadracer
01-06-2004, 12:04 PM
i cut about 5 inches off my pro circuit pipe for my r because it stuck out 2 in past the grab bar and drug the ground if i went too far on a wheelie, i also cut it beacuse there was a dent in it from the caliper before i got my shock recharged, not a power increase, just a little more noise on the 2 stroke end i think

hondarider2006
01-06-2004, 12:14 PM
I am either going to buy the Maxwell House pipe or just run an open header. I saw a guy on a Big Red ripping it up at the track with no muffler and it was sweet. It added a ton of power, sounded sweet, and you don't even have to rejet! It was cool! :p

There was some dude at Turkey bay ridind around with an open header.....I heard it for about 10 minutes coming my way....At first I thought it was a sparks, cause I knew that they were loud, but I have never heard one before. When he went by and had no muffler on, I was like wtf??:eek2:

skemp
01-06-2004, 04:39 PM
LMAO :D

hondafox440
01-06-2004, 04:55 PM
I hate shorties. They are extremely obnoxious. The minimal gains you recieve from cutting it does not justify the noise they produce. Leave them the way they are and keep more riding areas open. 4 stroke sound can travel several miles from the source, so with a 110db+ source, people get pissed off even if they aren't "close".

2001400ex
01-06-2004, 05:30 PM
Originally posted by hondafox440
I hate shorties. They are extremely obnoxious. The minimal gains you recieve from cutting it does not justify the noise they produce. Leave them the way they are and keep more riding areas open. 4 stroke sound can travel several miles from the source, so with a 110db+ source, people get pissed off even if they aren't "close".

I agree 100%

If you trail ride, do yourself, as well as your fellow riders a favor, and don't cut your canister just to get minimal gains and an obnoxious sound that will annoy the *** tree-huggers and get trails shut down...If you race it's a different story in my opinion though. Just as long as you keep it on the track.

UglyMotha™
01-06-2004, 07:46 PM
90% of us don't cut the canister for gains in hp cause i can tell ya from experience there really ain't none, we cut because of the fact that we get tired of being rear-ended or fliping over and getting the exhaust ripped of your bike and destroyed

Berry
01-06-2004, 08:26 PM
i totally understand that but I see SOOOOOO many threads on here people saying hey man I cut my exhaust off 5 inches and it gave me tons of power!!!! now are we on the same page:)

Martin Blair
01-06-2004, 10:46 PM
Originally posted by Pappy
i know several riders who have cut them merely because they got dented from getting hit square in the *** by another quad.

yeha i cut my lrd after my mom slamed into it with her rancher. it seems liek it gave it a little more low end, deff uped the noise.

UglyMotha™
01-07-2004, 06:10 AM
anybody that says they gained noticable power, it's all in there head

skemp
01-07-2004, 10:28 AM
Changing the length of silencers can make or break a motor. Not so much on a 4 stroke, but on 2 strokes, it is much more critical. The length/diameter of the stinger and silencer are a major factor of how the motor will rev, come into the powerband, how long it will stay there, and peak power. There is actually a lot of mathematics to be applied to it. Going from a 27mm stinger on one bike to a 29mm stinger could kill the power, or improve it. One little difference can change a lot.

Now like I said, changing this factor on a 4 stroke will not yield such dramatic results, but the change is there, and will differ from changing the length of one exhaust system to the next. :)

pnut420
01-07-2004, 10:48 AM
Originally posted by UglyMotha™
anybody that says they gained noticable power, it's all in there head

I would like Micky D's opinion on this because my seems to flow alot better with the 6-7 inches cut off, I know it sounds like you are going faster but it really was pulling on the low end great, didnt do much for the mid top top, but I really think it helped the bottom end, plus when we started the race and people were reving their motors and i sat their letting them Rev theirs, then I started mine and I gotta said I did intimidate them a little, it makes the 426 sound like a damn stroker motor.

I see you shot down what people say alot but really their is no explanation on why they are worng, they just are in your opinion. :huh

jmoney45
01-07-2004, 11:16 AM
Kinda off topic but not exactly. Did anyone see last months Dirt Wheels? Duncan racing had a huge ad and a pic of their new fatboy for the TRX450R and it almost looks like a shorty. It doesn't stick out past the rear fenders. Bet it's loud but looks cool.

Bob-Hobo
01-07-2004, 02:27 PM
Yeah I think its HMF that is making a Bill Ballance series pipe that is a shorty. Pretty much so that they dont get smashed by other racers.

skemp
01-07-2004, 02:34 PM
Originally posted by pnut420
I know it sounds like you are going faster
Sometimes a good way to test different exhaust and motor setups is to wear earplugs so you aren't getting an artificial sense of going faster from the sound. I have done it myself, and it is surprising how much adding a different exhaust can make your quad seem to have more power than it really does. Just FYI. :)

UglyMotha™
01-07-2004, 02:45 PM
Originally posted by pnut420

I see you shot down what people say alot but really their is no explanation on why they are worng, they just are in your opinion. :huh

didn't mean to step on your toes there tonto, seriously though any place your really goin to notice a difference in this silencer mod is on the dyno, you not goin to feel it unless you had some kind of crappy restrictive exhaust on your bike :o

hondafox440
01-07-2004, 02:49 PM
Sometimes a good way to test different exhaust and motor setups is to wear earplugs so you aren't getting an artificial sense of going faster from the sound. I have done it myself, and it is surprising how much adding a different exhaust can make your quad seem to have more power than it really does. Just FYI. :)

I'm not sure thats such a smart idea, especially on a track. I like to hear how my bike is running and where in the rev range I am so I can judge how fast I am going and if I will clear the jump in front of me or not..

Good point on the 2 stroke silencer size though. The shape and size of the 2 stroke exhaust really has a 'supercharger' effect on the engine, and you can tune it so the pressure waves reflect earlier or later, for a different powerband.

skemp
01-07-2004, 04:58 PM
Originally posted by hondafox440
I'm not sure thats such a smart idea, especially on a track. I like to hear how my bike is running and where in the rev range I am so I can judge how fast I am going and if I will clear the jump in front of me or not..

I guess I didn't really expect anybody would take it like this. I am talking about testing your modifications. It's simply a way to judge how much power you are gaining from a modification that may add more sound, and at the same time, an artificial sense of power gain. Of course I don't mean to do this all the time, and definitely not on a track. :huh

TCracin440ex
01-07-2004, 05:28 PM
the funniest thing ive heard so far about quad myths is...if you shave your plastics you will go faster...i kno it will cause less air drag while jumping...but far as speed...its just letting more wind blow in your face so you seem like ya goin faster

pnut420
01-07-2004, 06:06 PM
didn't mean to step on your toes there tonto, seriously though any place your really goin to notice a difference in this silencer mod is on the dyno, you not goin to feel it unless you had some kind of crappy restrictive exhaust on your bike :o

Yeah for the most part it sure won't make or break a race and as far as stepping on my toes, I really wasn't in a great mood, but now its all good. Lol Tonto.
:p

cals400ex
01-07-2004, 07:43 PM
Originally posted by TCracin440ex
the funniest thing ive heard so far about quad myths is...if you shave your plastics you will go faster...i kno it will cause less air drag while jumping...but far as speed...its just letting more wind blow in your face so you seem like ya goin faster

i have been told you will have more top speed, but i haven't proved that either.

TCracin440ex
01-07-2004, 07:55 PM
only reason i shaved my plastics is because less air drag while in the air...and plus i can see what my front wheels are doing and where the peaks of the jumps are....the reason i shortend my pipe is...because every time id ride a wheelie the pipe would drag the ground...and if it kept on it proally would rip my pipe off....so thats the main reason...another reason is....its a lil louder, and it sounds better...and the final reason i did it....is because it looks good, and it keeps it outta harms way....

01-08-2004, 08:22 AM
Originally posted by TCracin440ex

Desert racers shave the bottoms of the front and rear plastic to reduce drag. I've seen test were they gained around 10 MPH or more..:eek2:

TT racers do this also for the same reason..

I don't see it making a difference in MX or XC racing though. So it's not a total BS story..:cool:

ryanh250ex
01-08-2004, 08:38 AM
if they add more power, awesome.

i've never come across a shorty pipe before (least i dont think so), but there are definitely some pipes out there that make alot of racket that would only get worse with some of it cut off.

for recreational/trail riders i say it's ok if you do it to keep it from scraping the ground, and ONLY cut off enough to keep it from scraping, and not any more. if you're a racer, go ahead and cut it as much as you want, as long as you dont offend the surrounding area ans as long as you keep that pipe designated for track use only.

as for myself.......my T-4 makes PLENTY of noise as it is.....i'll keep it as it is.

cals400ex
01-08-2004, 04:13 PM
Desert racers shave the bottoms of the front and rear plastic to reduce drag. I've seen test were they gained around 10 MPH or more..:eek2:

TT racers do this also for the same reason..

I don't see it making a difference in MX or XC racing though. So it's not a total BS story..:cool:

10 mph seems like an awful lot. 5 mph to me seems like a huge amount. i may consider. :D

skemp
01-08-2004, 05:15 PM
Originally posted by cals400ex
10 mph seems like an awful lot.

Not when you are going 90+ already.

UglyMotha™
01-08-2004, 07:31 PM
Originally posted by cals400ex
10 mph seems like an awful lot. 5 mph to me seems like a huge amount. i may consider. :D

in my MR. T voice :o

I PITY DA FOOL WHO CALLS RICO A LIAR!

AtvMxRider
01-08-2004, 07:39 PM

:rolleyes:

UglyMotha™
01-08-2004, 07:42 PM
I PITY DA FOOL WHO ROLLS HIS EYES AT ME!

LMAO :p

AtvMxRider
01-08-2004, 08:09 PM
I PITY DA FOOL WHO ROLLS HIS EYES AT ME!

LMAO :p

HAHAHA:devil:

cals400ex
01-09-2004, 12:22 AM

i never said he was al liar, i said that seemed like a lot. if i knew i could get an extra 5mph from shaving fenders, i would do it. ;)

01-09-2004, 07:48 AM
Not when you are going 90+ already.

Yeah the desert quads are setup with tall gearing and big tires. Actually I believe it was 7 mph is what they gained. It was a pissed off super wide Rapturd setup for the Best of the desert series in 2003.

I don't think trimin all the plastic off a stock 400ex is gonna do much for ya...:blah:

zfire_28
01-09-2004, 08:21 AM
I would not have beleived it if I hadn't witnessed it. My friend (Silver4hundee) and I have the exact same mods (exept for different brand pipes) done to our 400EXs. We would race down gravel and paved roads all the time, and always be damn close to dead even. After he shaved his fenders off, his ex would pull ahead of mine starting around 4th gear, and by the time we were topped out he would be about 2 quad lengths ahead and still be pulling away slowly. We were dead even again after I shaved mine off also.

I would guess that it made almost 5mph difference, but you would prolly not notice it on dirt.