PDA

View Full Version : Crf450 Or Yz426f

rob-u/21
01-05-2004, 11:03 AM
WHICH ENGINE WOULD BE BEST FOR A QUAD A YZ426F OR A CRF450? IS ONE FASTER THAN THE OTHER?

EvilJester400EX
01-05-2004, 11:16 AM
Just because of the annoying starting procedure on the YZ motor, get the CRF. The CRF has more low end power but the YZF motor has more mid-top.

gibson400ex
01-05-2004, 12:56 PM
IMO i would go wtih the crf engine form what people have told me.....we used to ahve a yz426 d-bike and it rip as hell but since the classes are moving up in gnc and stuff i would personally get the crf engine.......it is really up to you

2004TRX450R
01-05-2004, 04:56 PM
I would much rather have the CRF engine personally. However a WR450 engine would make a better quad motor. Either the CRF or the YZ are rear kicking bikes and you will have to remove the rear fenders to start it or hack them all up. The WR has electric start and is a more torquy engine so it would work better in a quad chassis. Or you could just wait and get the new TRX450R! :)

Cody_300ex
01-05-2004, 04:59 PM
Originally posted by gibson400ex
IMO i would go wtih the crf engine form what people have told me.....we used to ahve a yz426 d-bike and it rip as hell but since the classes are moving up in gnc and stuff i would personally get the crf engine.......it is really up to you

;)

gibson400ex
01-05-2004, 05:22 PM
Originally posted by 2004TRX450R
I would much rather have the CRF engine personally. However a WR450 engine would make a better quad motor. Either the CRF or the YZ are rear kicking bikes and you will have to remove the rear fenders to start it or hack them all up. The WR has electric start and is a more torquy engine so it would work better in a quad chassis. Or you could just wait and get the new TRX450R! :)

i do agree but one small problem i have been told the electic start weighs alot or some people have been telling me.......i havent heard of anyone doing a conversion wtih a wr450 motyor so i woudlnt knwo.....so if i were you i woudl go with what people have done and tested out.....if you want more power go with the crf.......but it is up to you......

2004TRX450R
01-05-2004, 06:20 PM
Originally posted by gibson400ex
i do agree but one small problem i have been told the electic start weighs alot or some people have been telling me.......i havent heard of anyone doing a conversion wtih a wr450 motyor so i woudlnt knwo.....so if i were you i woudl go with what people have done and tested out.....if you want more power go with the crf.......but it is up to you......

Well I'm not sure how much weight it is for the electric start but I wouldn't think it would matter that much unless you were all out raceing it for points. Most quads already have electric start so you would already have a battery on the quad. For reliability reasons I would much prefer the CRF engine as Honda is top notch. I have also seen a lot less CRFs torn down than YZ or WRs.

gibson400ex
01-05-2004, 06:24 PM
Originally posted by 2004TRX450R
Well I'm not sure how much weight it is for the electric start but I wouldn't think it would matter that much unless you were all out raceing it for points. Most quads already have electric start so you would already have a battery on the quad. For reliability reasons I would much prefer the CRF engine as Honda is top notch. I have also seen a lot less CRFs torn down than YZ or WRs.

ya exactly i have seena lot of 426's i know almost everyone form eastcoastatv is going to the yfz and i know a kid form eca that is sticking to the yz426 motor and 2 other guy from there he knows are staying with them......other than that the yfz has surprised the atv world......but i would still recamend a crf450 engine

rob-u/21
01-06-2004, 02:25 PM
Thanks for the info.

gibson400ex
01-06-2004, 02:27 PM
what motor you going with?

rob-u/21
01-07-2004, 09:28 AM
The reason I am doing this is because I have a race ready 400ex with a blown motor that I dont want to repair. I had a chance on buying a yz 426 engine but I keep reading about everyone going with the crf. Im also interested on an xr650 motor and use it for desert. I think Ill wait for a good price on a crf engine or an xr.

gibson400ex
01-07-2004, 01:46 PM
if you race desert maybe xr650 but for mx definatley(sp?) go with the crf engine.........;)

hondafox440
01-07-2004, 02:15 PM
Originally posted by EvilJester400EX
Just because of the annoying starting procedure on the YZ motor, get the CRF. The CRF has more low end power but the YZF motor has more mid-top.

No, the CRF actually has more throughout the rev range.

But yea, why buy a Yamaha when you can buy a Honda ;)

As mentioned, the CRF is a bullet proof engine. You won't be dissapointed.