PDA

View Full Version : Gear Sticking on YFZ 450

Quad18star
01-04-2004, 10:57 PM
How many of you guys have had the gears stick on the new 450? Ive been told by a few people that the new Yammy has a problem with this . Other than the sticking , has anyone had any other problems??

C41Xracer
01-05-2004, 03:17 PM
I haven't because I'm smart enough to own a HONDA!!!!!

You knew someone would post something like this.:D :D

biohazard1.2
01-05-2004, 04:10 PM
Never heard of it...neither have 6 good buds who have yfzs too.

Really...man, just wait until your TRX comes out and stop with the Smack.

The Raptor had some gear issues...not the YFZ.

If you are not talking smack...then say no to crack.:rolleyes:

Mxbubs
01-05-2004, 05:45 PM
Problems with Yamaha transmissions is old news. Anyone who owns a Yammy can eventually expect it, and expect Yammy not to make right on it.

Mark this thread, a year from now when the transmissions crap out, dont say I didnt say so.

On the other hand, if you go with the trx450, you are looking at less oil, and more heat. So take your pic, burning up a piston or crank, or a bad tranny?

Hahaha...its really whatever you feel like fixing. If you ride either hard, they will eventually poop out.

01-05-2004, 09:29 PM
i heard froma a few people this happened but it eventually goes away

01-06-2004, 04:20 PM
yah its true...the sticky gear shifting does go away..it was like that for me for a week or so then it went away and i could shift effortlessly

01-06-2004, 07:07 PM
the shifting drums are rough i guess, i noticed it with mine from 1-2nd they said it goes away after a lil bit

EvilJester400EX
01-08-2004, 08:04 PM
The sticking gears problem was adressed earlier at yfzcentral.com. From what I read, it only happened to a few models that were made. I've never had any troubles with mine. Hopefully I won't over time, but we'll just have to wait and see. :cool:

01-09-2004, 11:12 PM
i wouldnt even think it was sticking just feels notchy

raptor_02
01-11-2004, 07:17 PM
the YFZ is by far the best shifting quad I have ever rode. Mine nore my buddies has ever had any kind of shifting problem

exrider360
01-12-2004, 09:14 AM
I got a 2004 that does this.
Its worst when going from 1st to 2nd and from 2nd to 1st.
From 1st to 2nd its pretty much cleared up but the 2nd to 1st I need to shift 2 times .Not all the time but enough to PMO.
The bike was broke in by my rules.Thru the tranny with many shifts all the way up and down with no constant throttle. Get it good and warmed up run for a half hour os so and let it cool fully.I did this for a full tank and now its time for the torture test. I will thrash this tranny and if it breaks its right back to yammie.
I have owned many many bikes by all manufacturers and this thing is by far the fastest.
Ill never get another Yamaha.....I just dont like the finish and drivetrain on the YFZ.Its wicked noisy and I can feel it thru the pegs pretty bad.
But its a toy and I will contuinue to treat it as such.
TRX...YFZ dont matter which ya get.They all have problems eventually.
So all you young bucks saving all your duckets to plop on a bullett proof TRX.........it aint gonna happen.

Guy400
01-12-2004, 03:04 PM
Originally posted by biohazard1.2
Never heard of it...neither have 6 good buds who have yfzs too.

Really...man, just wait until your TRX comes out and stop with the Smack.

The Raptor had some gear issues...not the YFZ.

If you are not talking smack...then say no to crack.:rolleyes: Relax, I don't think anyone's talking smack. The simple fact of the matter is that there was, indeed, a problem on a run of shift drums. You've never heard of this problem so I'm assuming you've never been to yfzcentral or Bluetraxx because they both had sticky threads at one time asking for serial numbers. This problem wasn't widespread but it was enough to get people talking about it. A buddy of mine had his shift drum replaced because of a problem with how the vendor machined it. A burr was left and it appears to be most common between gears 1 and 2. Some people ignore the symptoms if they're having it and the burr smooths over and the problem goes away. Others ignored it and it got worse to where it's extremely difficult to shift into these gears at all.

toby400ex
01-12-2004, 05:03 PM
Originally posted by Mxbubs
On the other hand, if you go with the trx450, you are looking at less oil, and more heat. So take your pic, burning up a piston or crank, or a bad tranny?

Are you talking about the trx450 engine or the crf450 engine. The trx engine holds more oil than the crf engine.

spincr4hire
01-12-2004, 05:16 PM
they give you a second chance, Toby?

01-18-2004, 12:57 PM
gears can stick?:huh :confused:

biohazard1.2
01-19-2004, 04:31 AM
Originally posted by Guy400
Relax, I don't think anyone's talking smack. The simple fact of the matter is that there was, indeed, a problem on a run of shift drums. You've never heard of this problem so I'm assuming you've never been to yfzcentral or Bluetraxx because they both had sticky threads at one time asking for serial numbers. This problem wasn't widespread but it was enough to get people talking about it. A buddy of mine had his shift drum replaced because of a problem with how the vendor machined it. A burr was left and it appears to be most common between gears 1 and 2. Some people ignore the symptoms if they're having it and the burr smooths over and the problem goes away. Others ignored it and it got worse to where it's extremely difficult to shift into these gears at all.

Guy, you relax...ban me, I could care less. The fact of the matter is this...

I have 6 buds who have yfz, as do I, none of us have had a any shifter problems. This is real world. When someone posts "gear sticking on YFZ" it is usually someone who has no clue, like the poster of this thread, whether it is true or not. I asked very good friend (owner of Dealership in FL) about the sticking gear issue. He said that there were some rough drums, but after break in, the issue is gone.

The ones whose problems got worse had another or additional issues. This is not widespread.

I CANNOT WAIT UNTIL THE PERFECTLY DESIGNED, GOT IT RIGHT IT THE FIRST TIME, TRX450r comes out...wait....they already postponed it 2x....must be real perfect by now.

Stop posting BS about the YFZ...at least until you have a (NEW!) quad from honda that can at least share a trailor with it.

The serial number thing...a lot came of that! Might as well as have asked folks what kind of cereal they like. Half of the serial numbers were bogus!

so...like you said and I agree, this was not a widespread...or even narrowly spread, problem....less than .05% of production.

The start of this post had the same intentions that "Pappy" did with his YFZ frame pix...just flame, with no details on the frame.

KMAGYOYO, SNAFU

Guy400
01-19-2004, 06:18 AM
LMAO...who said anything about banning anybody? I didn't.

Furthermore, the creator of this thread was asking about a potential problem because at the time he was looking at purchasing a YFZ. It may have changed but the last I heard he put money down on one and was going to pick it up so his intentions were not to flame the YFZ but to gather some information on his future quad.

86atc250r
01-19-2004, 08:58 AM
Wow, biohazard's a bit touchy... Sounds like someone's got an exposed nerve. Chill dude - you're the one making an issue of this (and making yourself look like ridiculous in the process - defending the YFZ's "Honor" like it was your girlfriend - LOL...).

Quad18star
01-19-2004, 05:44 PM
I did not intend on bashing the YFZ by posting this . It is a known problem with a few machines that were produced . And like Guy400 said... at the time of posting this thread I hadn't bought the quad yet and was trying to gather more information about it and to see if other owners have had this occur to them . If you look over at www.yfzcentral.com you'll notice that there is maybe 30 guys on that site that have had this problem . For the record I was not bashing the YFZ450 ... in fact I bought one Tonight . Red and White sitting in the Garage right now . Too bad it's too damn cold to ride it right now.

biohazard1.2
01-20-2004, 06:38 AM
kinda touchy...yeah. Off on a tangent-definitely, ridiculous...no more so than you..ATC...your response was <not> helpful and <not> on topic...anyways...

CONGRATS ON THE PURCHASE...and...the red framed ones handle better:D

on the issue of "sticky shifter"....just ride it and race

if you had a "rough" drum, it will be smoother after a few "kills":blah:

As far as defending my "girlfriend"...yes, I do have a YFZ450, in Honda Colors (it looks better in white/red IMHO), so, I have a real world reference when it comes to discussing the YFZ.

I am not a poser poster who has never had a quad...and the very quad he was asking about.

Piece Out.

raptor_02
01-23-2004, 02:42 PM
I know this is going to create a huge flame but this is actually good for the sport. 2 Pro riders Keith Little and Kory Ellis have both stated they like their stock framed YFZ's better than their hybrid CRF quads. I know this really don't have anything to do with the thread but people that read this thread might be thinking about buying a YFZ and with stupid crap brought up like gear sticking you Honda guys scare them away. I'm just bringing up reasons why people should buy it so no flame intended. I assure anyone that if you buy a YFZ450 you will be more than happy with the quad. Go to www.********.com and read what Keith Little had to say about it. LOL I thought it was hilarious. Another thing, if a high compression CRF motor with titanium valves and an FCR carb can't out run a YFZ, then how is a low compression, steel vavled, lower revving butterfly type carb going to????? If your even thinking about buying a YFZ, do it.

seatec
01-23-2004, 02:46 PM
FOr somebody who doesnt wanna be flamed you sure have some inflammatory statements in your post. :rolleyes:

86atc250r
01-23-2004, 03:16 PM
You also have to keep in mind those guys would *REALLY* like to be sponsored Yamaha riders. Knowing that, what do you think they are going to say?

Sometimes you can't always take things for face value.

As far as power development - The YFZ engine does not produce more power than a YZ450F engine. In dirtbikes the CRF and YZF produce very similar power levels. You have to consider that the YZ is more peaky and the CRF is more smooth.

The bulk of all riders will be faster on smooth power than peaky power. So, does it really matter which may or may not be faster in the straight line or which has better & more useable power.

No one's saying the YFZ is not a really good bike - in fact, you will find that most here will acknowledge that the YFZ is an excellent machine - however, it may not be the perfect choice for everyone.

Calling people stupid for discussing a known problem that some YFZ's have suffered raises questions about your own intelligence level so you might want to quit while you're ahead.

EvilJester400EX
01-23-2004, 05:03 PM
I'm back with more information on sticking gear troubles. I have heard of some problems being the shift drum installed incorrectly. Another side of the story that I have heard is there is a bur on the shifter which can cause the gear to stick. Not to worry, take it into your local shop and grind the burr down and polish it, and you're on your way.

Guy400
01-23-2004, 06:23 PM
This isn't Gospel but isn't Keith Little riding a YFZ until his TRX gets here? I thought I had heard he was switching to a TRX for the next race.

EvilJester400EX
01-24-2004, 08:36 PM
Originally posted by Guy400
This isn't Gospel but isn't Keith Little riding a YFZ until his TRX gets here? I thought I had heard he was switching to a TRX for the next race.

Probably, I wouldn't be surprised to see a few racers switch back to the Honda.