PDA

View Full Version : Really needs help

yzrider04
01-04-2004, 08:51 PM
Well yesterday i was at a friends house and was gonna change my oil......i took the drain plug off and the oil drains out....i was puttin the plug back and and noticed the threads was cracked...so I took the plug back out and the treads broke into three pieces....it wont go back in tight and my bike wont hold oil....what do i need to buy or what can i do to fix it???
And does anyone know how much a new bottom case is.......

01-04-2004, 09:00 PM
ur gonna need to rethread it & get a new bolt....then you will need to change your oil & oil filter a few quick times to get the thread pieces out..

yzrider04
01-04-2004, 09:04 PM
where the drain plug screws in is what broke......when i was screwin it in three metal pieces fell in my hand......the bolt wont go in.......and you cant retread it cause there nothing to retread

SGA
01-04-2004, 09:05 PM
Do you mean on the engine case, or on the bottom of the oil tank? If the threads are stripped on the bolt, the inside threads might be ok. You might just neet a new plug. If thats the deal, clean the inside threads well. You can roll the broken threads right out.

yzrider04
01-04-2004, 09:09 PM
The bolt is fine.........the treads cracked and fell off into my hand.....i will have to buy a new bottom case.......does anyone know around how much they are???

SGA
01-04-2004, 09:13 PM
You dont buy a new bottom case, you re-thread the hole with a tap. It cuts new threads one size up and you use the next size up oil plug. There are also oil plugs that cut thier own threads. They are made for stripped oil holes. The are just a little larger than stock. Check with a place that services motorcyles and quads. Or any good mechanic can do it.

yzrider04
01-04-2004, 09:16 PM
If I get it retapped will it hurt it if the plug goes farther up in the case then it is suppose to......if it goes to far will it hurt anything??

shamisc
01-04-2004, 09:33 PM
Can you take a pic of your problem and post it? It will help us better help you or lead you to help.:(

JOEX
01-04-2004, 09:37 PM
Another bit of info that may be helpful is what are you working on?

SGA
01-04-2004, 09:41 PM
Originally posted by yzrider04
If I get it retapped will it hurt it if the plug goes farther up in the case then it is suppose to......if it goes to far will it hurt anything?? The new plug will be the same length as the old one. If not, it can be shortened. This is not a hard job for a mechanic, they do it every day, but it is something that needs to be done right. Also dont tighten the new plug so tight.