PDA

View Full Version : SNELL approved helmets

NewRider
02-20-2002, 06:06 AM
This may be a dumb question, but Im not feeling too smart this morning anyhow, so Ill ask it. ;) I see helmets that are SNELL 95 and others that are SNELL 2000. Would both of these be acceptable for passing motocross requirements or would I have to go with the 2000?

NewRider

Scott
02-20-2002, 06:19 AM
Sounds like Snell changed their standards in 2000. Check with where you plan to race, but I'd bet that as long as it's Snell approved, you'll be fine. (Either one)

DOT approval doesn't mean crap. You could strap an egg crate on your head with duct tape and it would be DOT approved. Any good helmets on the market will all be Snell approved.

SGA
02-20-2002, 10:05 PM
You got me curious, What is Snell? So I went to their web site. heres the link http://www.smf.org/snell.html

Heres what caught my eye in one of the articles at their website

Standards compliance and Random Sample Testing:

The DOT will periodically obtain selected samples from the market to have tested by a commercial lab. (A few hundred, every few years).
Snell continually obtains certified helmets from the consumer market to check for compliance. We test thousands of helmets each year.

NewRider
02-21-2002, 06:14 AM
Thanks guys for the comments. I appreciate it. Guess I should check around the area tracks and see what they require. :) Probably a lil old to be doing firstmy year motocross anyhow :p But who can see those grey hairs when Im wearing a helmet right? :D

NewRider

Scott
02-21-2002, 06:18 AM
Easy now, I see that you're younger than I am, and I'm not gray yet!!! Not bald either!!!

02-21-2002, 06:57 AM
Buy the best helmet you can. If it is not Snell, don't even consider it. Snell 2000 is better than Snell 95, but either one will be legal at just about any track. Every five years Snell release new standards. A Snell 95 conforms to the 1995 standards, Snell 2000 to the 2000 standards.

I see so many people spend hundreds of dollars to get the hottest hop-up parts, but then try to skimp and save $50 bucks by not getting a Snell approved helmet.

THIS IS YOUR LIFE WE ARE TALKING ABOUT!! Nobody can convince me that their life is not worth an extra $50 bucks.

I worked with a guy who wrecked his CR500. He had a good helmet on and that is the only reason he is alive today. His high quality helmet was cracked from the crash, just imagine what a $49 helmet would have looked like!

Something to consider. Most of us can't ride to the full potential of our machines. Yet every year we buy more stuff that will make it go faster. Consider taking some of that money and buying a new helmet every 2 or 3 years. You mat not relize it, but every little scratch weakens your helmet. Maybe you have gas on your hands and pick up your scratched helmet. Now the gasoline gets into the crack and starts to degrade the helmet even more. I personally don't want to trust my life to a helmet that is 3 three years old and all scratched up. It is just not worth it.

Another thing to consider. If you have ever hit your head on the ground as a result of a crash, replace your helmet. You can't see what that impact has done to the structure of the helmet. It may look fine, but a decent hit could cause small cracks that are not visible to your eye. I probably don't need to tell you that those cracks will only get bigger with time.

Sorry for all of the ranting and raving, but I almost lost my friend when he crashed his CR500. I know that I would not want to see anybody else go through what he has just to regain normal function again (it has been two years and he is still not back at work yet).

Please buy a GOOD helmet and WEAR IT!!
:square

NewRider
02-21-2002, 08:38 AM
Scott,
lol... wasnt making a general comment on age.. hehe But Im 27 and I DO have many greys Im afraid..lol

Thanks for the advice :) I wasnt planning on skimping.. just that some of the helmets I liked had the 95 cert on them.. so was trying to determine if I would be wasting money by getting one and then not being able to race with it ;)

NewRider

RideRed04
02-24-2002, 05:32 PM
Hmm, my helmet is 6 years old and has a cracked visor...time for a new one!