PDA

View Full Version : really need help on axle bearings!!!

westcoastmxer
01-04-2004, 03:28 PM
i cant get them out!!ive tried a punch and screwdriver but they wont even budge,please help!

BSTURDIVANT
01-04-2004, 03:54 PM
You may have to soak them with PB blaster or kroil for a day! Try to find someone that has a bearing race puller( it will go in and tighten just behind bearing ) use slide hammer to pull bearing out.
Once you get 1 out, knock other out with hammer and punch.

I had 1 so bad that 1 had to weld a plate to the inner race on 1 side and used a piece of pipe just small enough to slide through from other side!

Narly R
01-04-2004, 09:11 PM
Could you maybe press them out? I dont know how the rear end in a 300ex is, all I know is my r...

01-04-2004, 09:15 PM
i had the same problem..i got my friend who has a machine shop to pop them out...have fun, this is a pain in the *** & I couldnt get the oven trick by heating it up to work eithger :rolleyes:

shamisc
01-04-2004, 09:27 PM
A propane torch seemed to work wonders for me. I just heated the outside of the carrier over the bearings for 5 mins. or so and then tapped it against my work bench, and they fell right out! Try this and see if it works for you.;)

sandspanker
01-28-2004, 12:06 AM
:) once you get them out cut a notch in the crush tube so next time you do the brgs in your carrier the notch will be their to get the punch or screw driver in their. works good :cool: :D

Taco
01-28-2004, 12:08 AM
oven idea worked good for me:)

mikeman828
01-28-2004, 05:16 AM
On my 300, the guy I bought it from NEVER Replaced anything. So, needless to say it was a chore to get the bearings out and took a while. What I did was...

beat the crap out of the bearings till they fell apart. That left only the outer race stuck in the bearing carrier.
Soaked it with PB Blaster and went to town driving the race out from the other side with a chisel.

It took a while but I finally got it. Then you can slide the center tube out of the carrier and go to work on the other side.

When I pressed the new bearings in, we put a layer of anti-seize on them to save these potential problems in the future.

Good Luck.... most of us have been there :devil:

KASCHAK
01-28-2004, 09:50 AM
if your really desprit get an air chisel lmao that will brake stuff you dont want to do that

ghak99
01-28-2004, 02:52 PM
Heat it up...more than likely they will fall right out