PDA

View Full Version : HEY CALS400EX.. need your help..

PHAT400
01-04-2004, 02:30 PM
Alright, I'm going crazy. Damn thing won't start again. There is 8' of new snow and this dang thing will not start...... 42 pilot jet, sparks timing key and outerwears filter cover. 2.5 turn's on the fuel screw... oh yeah and a new spark plug...... This sum-biatch will be up for sale shortly.... any further assistance would be helpful..

thanks for listening to me wine...

AtvMxRider
01-04-2004, 03:22 PM
PM?

northeast400
01-04-2004, 04:31 PM
I had the same issue. I drained the fuel bowl and found some junk in it. may be worth checking and installing a fuel filter. It has not happened again since.

PHAT400
01-04-2004, 05:35 PM
:o ya know, i never thought of that.... sometimes my temper gets the best of me...

hondarider2006
01-05-2004, 12:04 AM
Originally posted by PHAT400
:o .... sometimes my temper gets the best of me...

It does to the best of us;)

cals400ex
01-05-2004, 12:15 AM
hey whats up. i assume your not using an aftermarket ignition box?
this is how my bike always starts. i first make sure the fuel is on and my kill switch is on. i then turn the key on and put on full choke. i will pump the throttle 3 or 4 times. i then hit the start button without giving it any gas. it always starts for me doing this. if you can't get it to fire up, i would have someone pull you around for a bit so you can pop the clutch to get it to fire up. your jetting seems pretty good. i would just make sure you didn't foul the new plug. these bikes seem cold blooded.

PHAT400
01-06-2004, 09:21 AM
Ok, talked to a friend @ the local shop and he suggested 1.5 turns out on the screw and a smaller main.. Not sure what size main he gave me (my wife picked it up for me, she's da bomb) cleaned the carb and made the adjustment's....

:macho WHAM!!!! Fired right up.... going to run it this weekend and check the plug for the right color...

YIPPEE:D

cals400ex
01-06-2004, 12:02 PM
Originally posted by PHAT400
Ok, talked to a friend @ the local shop and he suggested 1.5 turns out on the screw and a smaller main.. Not sure what size main he gave me (my wife picked it up for me, she's da bomb) cleaned the carb and made the adjustment's....

:macho WHAM!!!! Fired right up.... going to run it this weekend and check the plug for the right color...

YIPPEE:D

i would make sure this was the problem. i am just saying this because mine ALWAYS fires right up after i just had the carb off to clean it. after that, it goes back to normal where it takes a turn or two too fire. however, i always get mine to fire pretty quick. the mainjet should not have anything to do with how your bike starts. the fuel skrew may, but just make sure your not lean at idle. if your headers start glowing at idle, your too lean on the fuel skrew. you may be fine at 1.5 out though. right now i am at 1.75 to 2 turns out with a 42 pilot and my headers don't glow. glad it fired up though. :)

PHAT400
01-06-2004, 12:48 PM
The plug seems to be wet fouled everytime i look at it.. That ( i think) was the reason for the main jet change. Thanks for the tip however. I'll keep it in mind when i test ride it.

Thanx

cals400ex
01-06-2004, 11:21 PM
our carb has an accelerator pump in it. so every time you pump the throttle quickly, gas is squirted toward the plug even if the bike is off. that could be how your fouling the plug.

are you looking at the plug after a ride? or after your trying to start it and it won't fire?

PHAT400
01-07-2004, 10:15 AM
:grr: well...... only after trying to start it, getting it started and then riding for a bit (1/2 hour or so) and then checking the plug... I'm a little frazzled. obviously I am not taking the proper steps. not angry @ you, just the obvious question you posted. :huh

I'll check it only after proper starting procedure and riding for a bit...

Wish me luck:rolleyes:

cals400ex
01-07-2004, 11:05 AM
good luck :)

PHAT400
01-12-2004, 08:09 AM
Well, if I don't choke it, it take's about 7-8 try's before it stay's running. Pump the throttle also 7-8 times and hit the starter. It will idle for about 2 seconds then die. Bad new's... excess battery usage... good new's.. no more fouling plug..

Anyway, seem's to run pretty good now. Of course it'
s hard to ell without a good solid hard surface to ride on..

:D

hondarider2006
01-12-2004, 03:33 PM
alright well seeing as how this thread is going in the direction I need help in...I'll post my problem.

I ordered my 42 & 45 piolet jet from C&D, and when they got in, I removed my choke, and installed the 45. I thought sence it was cold out(sometimes as cold as -20) the 45 would be better. So I turned the screw out 2 1/2 turns, and it barley ideled. So I went to 3, and it got worse. So I went to 2 turn, and it was fine. So I rode it around, and after riding for a while it wouldn't idle at all. So I went with the 42, 3 turns out, and it will idle pretty good, until I get into the deep snow. I had this problem before I removed my choke and did all of this. It would idle O.K. if I just stayed on the hard pack, but lets say I get into some snow and get stuck, it would die while I am trying to get it out. Cal can you kinda help me out here? I am stuck on what to do, and I am getting really sick of messing with this damn thing. Any help would be great, sorry for the really long post!

-Nick-

cals400ex
01-13-2004, 08:28 AM
Originally posted by hondarider2006
alright well seeing as how this thread is going in the direction I need help in...I'll post my problem.

I ordered my 42 & 45 piolet jet from C&D, and when they got in, I removed my choke, and installed the 45. I thought sence it was cold out(sometimes as cold as -20) the 45 would be better. So I turned the screw out 2 1/2 turns, and it barley ideled. So I went to 3, and it got worse. So I went to 2 turn, and it was fine. So I rode it around, and after riding for a while it wouldn't idle at all. So I went with the 42, 3 turns out, and it will idle pretty good, until I get into the deep snow. I had this problem before I removed my choke and did all of this. It would idle O.K. if I just stayed on the hard pack, but lets say I get into some snow and get stuck, it would die while I am trying to get it out. Cal can you kinda help me out here? I am stuck on what to do, and I am getting really sick of messing with this damn thing. Any help would be great, sorry for the really long post!

-Nick-

your not running an aftermarket cam are you??

here is what i would do. get the bike up to normal temperature by riding it around for a while. i would then let is sit and idle for one or two minutes. turn it off and check the plug. see what color it is. i like my plug to be a light light tan color. after i put my cam in, if i was any bit rich on the fuel skrew, it would not idle too well.
a few other things to check:
make sure you don't have a leak where the carb mounts on to the boots. check in front and in back of the carb. also, i assume your plug is in good condition?

once your jetting seems to be close and you prove you don't have an air leak, i would mess with the idle adjustment. it almost seems like your idle is just too low.

hondarider2006
01-13-2004, 10:56 AM
Last night I rode for about an hour, and than while I was in my garage, I let it idle. It idles like crap, and after about 2-3 minutes it started to sputter and than it just died. It smelt like it fludded, and I have my idle nice and high, so I know thats not the problem;) I can't find my plug wrench, because I was going to do a test. What size socket will work to get it out? Also I am almost 100% sure that I don't have an air leak. I have my clamps also all the way tight. I don't have a aftermarket cam also.

cals400ex
01-13-2004, 02:29 PM
hmmm, sounds interesting. let us know what your plug looks like after letting it idle. i don't remember what size wrench fits the plug. maybe its a 14mm, but i really don't know. i always use the tool in the kit.