PDA

View Full Version : NW snow storm

airheadedduner
01-03-2004, 05:24 PM
The big one hits monday. An odd weather pattern has givin us the chills here in the NW. I usually don't get more then a dusting a couple times a year but for the last week we have gotten our fair share. I was stranded at work on monday and had to get a hotel for the night. A lot of us in the NW may be missing for a couple days(yayyyy, I know:rolleyes: ). What will suck the most is the massive flooding that is gonna happen when all this melts around wednesday after it dumps on us early this week. Oh well, for now the cops arn't minding that we tear around on the streets towing sleds:D

JOEX
01-03-2004, 08:28 PM
I live on top of the hill in Oregon City, we had about a total of 8-9 inches this week. I waws thinking about the flooding too but that's not really an issue until the mountain snow starts melting, remember Feb. 1996?:eek:

I have the next three days off, a stack of movies and beer so i'm ready:macho :D

Joe

kamikaze_rzrbak
01-03-2004, 09:03 PM
is the big one hitting portland? sorry if this is late but ive been in the middle of nowhere riding my quad since wensday

JOEX
01-03-2004, 09:08 PM
They are saying Monday morning, watch the 11:00 news for an updated forecast.

Joe

Aceman
01-03-2004, 09:17 PM
Ahhh......the flood of '96......there were dead cows everywhere. We've only got about an inch of snow so far at the higher elevations.

Narly R
01-03-2004, 09:44 PM
Yeah we got around 4 inches, but snowed a lot here too! They say we might get some more too, but it doesnt look like that, i know it flooded here quite a bit a couple days ago! :eek2: But good luck aaron, and dont tear up those streets too much!:devil: :p

airheadedduner
01-04-2004, 10:47 PM
They moved it back but are now expecting freezeing rain later in the week, sucks with my 40 mile one way comute. I still have at least 10 inches. I remember 96', I got it really bad. The way things are looking I may get to miss the first couple days of winter term:) I am broke and can't afford text books yet anyway.

I have the subframe off the 440, I wanted to get it done today but I lost power and couldn't finish welding it. So instead I made a homemade snowboard out of a skateboard and on old pair of skis. Will have to wait till the EX is fixed before I can try it out:macho

Everyone try to stay safe and off the streets as much as possible, lot of morrons out there.

Woodsrider
01-05-2004, 07:54 PM
Its been really bad up here in the Seattle area too. The high to day was 24. Its supposed to start snowing here again tonight after midnight. expecting another 6 to 10 inches on top of the 8 we have on the ground. Snow, changing to rain late tommorow evening. with the freezing level rising to above 4500 ft. Its gonna be a mess by Wednesday.:confused:

JOEX
01-05-2004, 08:05 PM
Im a little dissappointed:( I have three days off and was expecting to be snowed in. It snowed lightly off and on mostof the day with little accumilation. I even stocked up on movies and beer. If I had known it was going to be like this I would have taken the quad out:(

Joe

Woodsrider
01-05-2004, 08:09 PM
Joe, are you sayin its done snowin down there? I better get fuggin snowed in tonight. I'm expecting to have a day off:grr:

JOEX
01-05-2004, 08:22 PM
Now they are saying after midnight, damn weather people:p
There have been flurries most of the day but it's so cold they just blow away:huh

Joe

Woodsrider
01-05-2004, 09:28 PM
Thats what they're saying here. just a bit tonight and as much as eight inches in the morning in Seattle proper!:eek:
In 96 our problem was more ice, than snow. It snowed for a while then turned to freezing rain. they are saying this is going to make the 96 storm look mild.
It has been windy here all day, from the north. Just blowing all the old snow around.

Baley69
01-05-2004, 10:56 PM
Rule #1, newcasters let alone meteorologists can tell when its going to snow or rain. We were "supposed" to get like 6' last night, and up to 10" tonight :rolleyes:

Woodsrider
01-06-2004, 12:20 PM
I usually listen to the NOAA weather forcast, on the CB. Screw them guys on the tube, they know jack:rolleyes:

JUSTINcredible
01-06-2004, 01:59 PM
after you drive in snow for a while you get used to it and its not as much of a big deal after a while, but ice, i dont think anyone can get used to that. last month we had just som light freezing rain and cars were going in the ditch left and right, like every few hundred feet there would be another car.

the only tihng that really gets to me about winter driving is that u can never be in a hurry cuz most of the time here on the country roads you never get going more than 45-50 in the winter

JOEX
01-06-2004, 05:20 PM
We have freezing rain now....

Woodsrider
01-06-2004, 05:27 PM
Yep thats what my truck looks like too but I aint goin out there to take a pic of it. Its too damn cold and slippery:D Its still 20 degrees here. I hope they'er right about it warming up cuz I ain't seein no rain here. Just ice and wind.

JOEX
01-06-2004, 05:37 PM
It's around 23* here and the rain is still coming down. Hope I can get into my truck in the morning.......:eek:

Joe

JUSTINcredible
01-06-2004, 06:30 PM
Originally posted by soggyrider
Its too damn cold and slippery:D Its still 20 degrees here.

its still -10 here:eek2:

20 would feel like a heat wave

Woodsrider
01-06-2004, 07:19 PM
Originally posted by JUSTINcredible
its still -10 here:eek2:

20 would feel like a heat wave

Believe me I know all about -10 weather. I lived in Great Falls Montana for a while. But when your average daily temp in the winter months is 38 to 45 degrees and snow never stays for more than 24 hours, weather like this is a big deal. Seattle area,(and Portland area) drivers never get the practice that midwestern states get at driving in the snow. As little as one inch of snow in the greater Seattle area causes wide spread panic and grid lock. Seattle already has some of the worst traffic in the nation and then you add snow and :blah:

JOEX
01-06-2004, 08:53 PM
Believe me I know all about -10 weather. I lived in Great Falls Montana for a while. But when your average daily temp in the winter months is 38 to 45 degrees and snow never stays for more than 24 hours, weather like this is a big deal. Seattle area,(and Portland area) drivers never get the practice that midwestern states get at driving in the snow. As little as one inch of snow in the greater Seattle area causes wide spread panic and grid lock. Seattle already has some of the worst traffic in the nation and then you add snow and :blah:
That is very true!:macho It does seem that most everyone down here handled it pretty well this time. Must have been the media playing it up for hours on end.......

Joe

JUSTINcredible
01-06-2004, 10:24 PM

yea a few years ago we were in northern W. Virgina around the city of fairmont i think and they had an inch of snow over night and schools were shut down and half the town was closed.

i see what u mean tho with the average temps and that, i suppose u could compare that to souther florida only getting up to 50 for a high once, stuff like that just doesnt happen much

Woodsrider
01-07-2004, 09:38 AM
Here is my truck, JOEX. These pics were taken this morning. I dont think I'll be going to work. :rolleyes: :(

Woodsrider
01-07-2004, 09:39 AM
I hasn't thawed out like they said it would

Woodsrider
01-07-2004, 09:41 AM
And I have some damage to take care of:(

Woodsrider
01-07-2004, 09:44 AM
Ice took all of the branches off of this poplar, and many off of the other three.

Woodsrider
01-07-2004, 09:45 AM
the side of the house is a solid sheet of icicles:eek:

Woodsrider
01-07-2004, 09:52 AM
I guess this is as good a place as any to start pickin up the branches:blah:

JOEX
01-07-2004, 10:21 PM
Damn! I guess it's a good thing I don't have any trees:p The only fallen tree I saw was halfway across the highway on my way to work this morning. My usual 15-20 commute was almost an hour and there was very little traffic. Didn't get over 25mph:eek:

I had to use a heat gun around the door jamb to open it and a small space heater in the cab to de-ice the window:D Works great!

This was after de-icing the cab last night. The freezing rain continued till the morning. The top of the canapy had about 2-3 inches of snow and about an inch of ice on top of that......

JTRtrx250r
01-08-2004, 01:26 AM
Man..this weather has been kicking our azzes,lost power b/c of all the falling trees at midnight last night....finally came back on 16 hrs later, talk about freezing you nads off:eek2: Ive lived here 99% of my life and never seen such a strange few days of weather,these forecasters SUCK!!! Everything exposed is covered in thick ice,atcually it looks cooler than chit but ...:rolleyes:

I did get to bust out the quads tho,got stopped by a cop and he just said to have fun and be carefull,even told me to jump on the oppertunity to hit the city park...I was like "Hell Yeah" haha

Also found out theres about 30 other atvs in the hood:D

But other than that ...it sucks:rolleyes: There will never be another winter that I dont have wood to burn...I know that:mad:

dirtmomma
01-08-2004, 09:30 AM
Geez we didnt' get hit quite that bad but still got ice. Our driveway which is downhill was a sheet of ice but we didn't put salt on it cuz the kids where having a blast & so was I hahaha did take the Kodiak out in the yard & spun some broodies seeings how my 300is down:grr: one friggin bolt & SPCB don't even have it in stock!!!!:mad: just pisses me off!!

Yeah our trucks were covered w/ ice too but when you don't go anywhere it's no big deal:rolleyes:
Hope you all are thawing out now get the hip waders out & possibly boats:eek2: