PDA

View Full Version : need help taking off locknut on axle!

westcoastmxer
01-03-2004, 04:46 PM
i need help takin off the axle locnut on my 300ex,can somebody help,do i have to have a special tool?

nismo
01-03-2004, 05:10 PM
a pipe wrench and a pipe if its on there good:D

ghak99
01-03-2004, 06:34 PM
A long wrench for each nut. Move the thin nut towards the center of the quad, then move the larger nut to the center until you can see the little ring. remove the ring then slide the axle locknut off toward the hub.

Hope this helps.

OhioRed
01-03-2004, 06:52 PM
would probably be helpful to note that the locknut has reverse threads. so, you will have to turn the opposite way you would normally.

hope that helped.

westcoastmxer
01-03-2004, 07:22 PM
thanx,i got the ring off but the locnut wont slide off!:eek: wut do i do?

Tommy 17
01-03-2004, 07:34 PM
if the lock nut is stuck heres what i did...

i took the swing arm off the quad...

got my friend to hold the swing arm in his hands... i grabbed the left (chain side) of the axle so it was verticle in the air and hit the right hub(brake side) onto the ground easy... the weight of the swing arm popped the lock nut right off when mine was stuck... just make sure u have ahold of the swing arm so everything doesn't go flyin down to the ground and smash thing... i know it sounds like a retarded set up but it worked perfectly!

Chanman420q
01-03-2004, 10:09 PM
Originally posted by nismo
a pipe wrench and a pipe if its on there good:D

my nuts came off with out a pipe or a pipe wrench, i used a diffrant tool, cant think of the name, but its like an adjustable wrench, only it slides up and down for adjustment, the nuts cane off wicked easy:o :eek2:

westcoastmxer
01-04-2004, 12:06 PM
can someone please help me!:eek2: how do i get it to come off,its gettin stuck on were the stopper ringgroove is.

01-04-2004, 12:18 PM
Originally posted by Chanman420q
my nuts came off with out a pipe or a pipe wrench, i used a diffrant tool, cant think of the name, but its like an adjustable wrench, only it slides up and down for adjustment, the nuts cane off wicked easy:o :eek2: i am pretty sure I used one of these too

westcoastmxer
01-04-2004, 03:26 PM
ok i got it off easy(w-d40):devil: .now i cant get the axle bearings out!ive tried a screwdriver and punch but they wont even budge..please help.

250rider
01-04-2004, 07:58 PM
some body posted a thread on how to do it reall easy. they said put the whole axle carrier in the over on 250 for 15 minutes, then put new bearings in the freezer, take axle carrier out of oven and take out old bearings, then put back in oven for 15 minutes and then take it out and get the new bearing out of the freezer and then put the new cold ones in. I havent tried this yet and dont know if it would work, i have heard only positive feedback on this workin. hope this helps

yellerfour00
01-05-2004, 06:28 AM
you gonna have to have them pressed out unless your feel liike chipping away for awhile... or your can get some with a point bend it down so its like a pick in a "L" shape and then smack it down inbetween the bearing and try working it out like that ... thats what i did

gojk
01-05-2004, 04:50 PM
My bearings came out pretty easy with heating the carrier. It is Aluminum so it should heat up faster than the bearings. Heat it up good and it has to be at the point where the carrier just starts tranfering the heat to the bearings, then just hit the carrier on the ground with the bearing down and they should come out. Sounds complicated but it worked. Then to put in the new ones, freeze them overnight, then heat up the carrier and they should slide right in. If they don't go in all the way just use a brass punch to tap them in by alternating sides as you hit it. If you are confused with anything PM me. And no, don't just go hitting on the center of the bearings, just hit them on the outer ring so you don't damage them.

660r2a400ex
01-05-2004, 08:12 PM
a huge adjustable wrench on the smaller nut, monkey wrench on the other. they have reverse threads