PDA

View Full Version : kick starter problems

bone705
01-02-2004, 01:05 PM
every once in awhile i go to kick start my R and it doesnt grab and it doesnt grab. it just kicks freely. i tore it apart and checked the 2 kickstart gears and i dont see any broken teeth. the splines on the shaft look good. anyone know what the problem could be.

also i was wondering what the best oil to run in the bottom end. ive always thought the best was to run gear saver or another thinck oil like that but someone told me that is hard on the transmission.

4TraxRider
01-02-2004, 01:22 PM
When you kick it over, the gear from the kikstarter has to move to touch the other gear. Check the spring and how it moves to touch the other gear when you have it apart next, something might be bent or coroded slightly.

deathman53
01-02-2004, 01:43 PM
nor did the gears on my r look bad, but they were. I have a parts motor with a new kicker gear and comparing the two I could see a difference, hurry up there is a a kicker gear on ebay with a buy it now at $35, the go for over $140 at honda. I will pm you with the link

atvmxr
01-02-2004, 03:21 PM
I run Mobil 1, fully synthetic gear oil, in my two strokes. I think it is 75w-90. The viscosity is about the same as 10w-40, but the gear oil has an additive package for the clutches in posi-tracs. So the gear oil is good for the clutch and the gears, as opposed to engine oil which doesnt have any additives for the clutch.
2 cents