PDA

View Full Version : Breakin in

300extreme#8
01-02-2004, 09:49 AM
ok i've talked it over with my parents and with the dealer and we decided that we are goin to try and get the new 450 after i sell my 300ex and save money,well i was wondering about breakin it in i figured atleast 5 hours or more,or just a full tank of gas and no gettin it muddy,what do u think.should it be ready to go after a fuel tank of gas

JWhite
01-02-2004, 01:15 PM
Break it in like you're gonna ride it. :macho

stryker
01-02-2004, 02:13 PM
Originally posted by 300extreme#8
ok i've talked it over with my parents and with the dealer and we decided that we are goin to try and get the new 450 after i sell my 300ex and save money,well i was wondering about breakin it in i figured atleast 5 hours or more,or just a full tank of gas and no gettin it muddy,what do u think.should it be ready to go after a fuel tank of gas

Here's something from Duncan racing about breaking in your new fourstroke. This is what I will do when I get mine!! Have fun breaking it in!!:cool:

http://www.duncanracing.com/techfaq/Tech_4-stroke-engine-break-in.phtml

JWhite
01-02-2004, 02:49 PM
Naaaaaaa.

Do it like I said. Break in those rings the right way in the 1st half hour. This is a crucial time. It's up to you. Break in in like you stole it and have a "faster" machine 9 times out of 10. Or you can do the "suggested" way. lol. You think Duncan's top riders break thiers in like that? lol. Hell no. They do it right...like they stole it.

Warm it up for one couple minutes. Then go ride it they way it's supposed to be ridden. :macho

4fiddyR
01-02-2004, 04:16 PM
DITTO THAT!:devil:
New quad are pretty much broke in when you get them anyway, if your putting the HRC kit on I would consider it since it is a new cam in a cylinder head that has been ran some.

TCracin440ex
01-02-2004, 06:44 PM
yea i broke my 400ex in that way....soon as i pulled it off the truck...i was ridding wheelies up the driveway and givin her hell...i knew she would hold up...come on now its a honda....altho.....i can say....id never break in a yamaha like that....too scared it would break down...i bet money if i pulled a yamaha off the truck (not saying that it would ever be a yamaha on my truck) but if i pulled a yamajunk fresh off the truck and reamed her arse and kept it pinned....i bet money it would break or not act right...so i agree...break it in like your going to ride it...its pretty much the same concept with buying a new car....you dont go to the dealer ship and buy a brand new vette and just poke arround...the 1st thing u want to do when they hand you the keys is pinn it and atleast lay a few burnouts to see what shes got........ride it hard....breaks it in better...

2004TRX450R
01-03-2004, 01:05 AM
Originally posted by JWhite
You think Duncan's top riders break thiers in like that? lol. Hell no. They do it right...like they stole it.

You honestly thing that Duncan would post the proper procedure for breaking in a new bike then go and do something different. You are nuts.

I'd run a tank or two through it before you run it hard. I know it is hard to do but it WILL make more power if you brake it in properly rather than just running the piss out of it.

TCracin440ex
01-03-2004, 02:22 AM
http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

read this and this explains the whole engine break in theory

JWhite
01-03-2004, 08:14 AM
Originally posted by TCracin440ex
http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

read this and this explains the whole engine break in theory

I rest my case...:macho

Like I said....that's how we do it.

2004TRX450R
01-03-2004, 09:42 AM
Ya Ya I've seen his articles before. It is kinda funny though. EVERYONE besides him in the industry says to take it easy the first little while on an engine. I would be willing to put money on that the manufacturers have put LOTS LOTS more time and money into r&d as to what it the best way to brake in a bike. Not to mention all the r&d engine builders such as Duncan have put into it. I guess they are all just stupid? I don't think so. I have heard time and time again stories of two identical bikes that one got the crap ridden out of it from the get go and the other was broken in properly and the properly broken in engine ran better and had more power. I think a lot of people go along with what this guy says because they want to just go rip on their new bike and this gives them the excuse they need to not feel bad about it. You all feel free to brake them in any way you choose but I'll brake mine in properly thank you!:blah:

TCracin440ex
01-03-2004, 10:06 AM
welll you can break yours in according to the owners manuel...your really a geek if you read the owners manuel anyways....i break it in the easy way, giving it hell, changing the oil after the 1st tank of gas....the hard way is keeping total of number of hours and then changing the oil n junk....so go ahead and listen to what the owners manuel says, but when your bike is still running like shyt a few mths after you have had it...then you kno whats wrong with it...dude and ne ways far as the companys puting R&D into breaking the thing in....u think they give a rip how some 1 breaks it in...besides after you have got it...its your baby now....they just make the bike....its up to you to break it in....they dont give a shyt bout how its broke in...they just put that shyt in the owners manuel for geeks like you that read the manuel and study every term in there....me my self....i just rip my quad off the truck...and go blast the hell outta it...

4fiddyR
01-03-2004, 11:01 AM
My friend has his motor re done by Baldwin Motorsports last spring, when he went out to Ohio to pick it up he asked Mark how to break it in, and Mark told him to run it as usual and change the oil in an hour.

Pahrump
01-03-2004, 11:39 AM
altho.....i can say....id never break in a yamaha like that....too scared it would break down...i bet money if i pulled a yamaha off the truck (not saying that it would ever be a yamaha on my truck) but if i pulled a yamajunk fresh off the truck and reamed her arse and kept it pinned....i bet money it would break or not act right...

That was just totatly uncalled for and showed just how immature you are. Grow up kid!!

BTW I would also break mine in like I was gonna ride it. I have always broke my bikes in hard and always had good luck with them.

Oh yeah I also broke my YFZ in hella hard, and after I installed the 13:1 piston I broke it in at Dumont shooting hills.

TCracin440ex
01-03-2004, 11:43 AM
hey...im intitled to my own opinion....so :blah:

01-03-2004, 01:36 PM
i agree with TCracin about the yamaha stuff...only yamaha I have respect for is the YFZ450...I dont agree with him about the owners manual stuff. :rolleyes:

2004TRX450R
01-03-2004, 10:31 PM
welll you can break yours in according to the owners manuel...your really a geek if you read the owners manuel anyways....i break it in the easy way, giving it hell, changing the oil after the 1st tank of gas....the hard way is keeping total of number of hours and then changing the oil n junk....so go ahead and listen to what the owners manuel says, but when your bike is still running like shyt a few mths after you have had it...then you kno whats wrong with it...dude and ne ways far as the companys puting R&D into breaking the thing in....u think they give a rip how some 1 breaks it in...besides after you have got it...its your baby now....they just make the bike....its up to you to break it in....they dont give a shyt bout how its broke in...they just put that shyt in the owners manuel for geeks like you that read the manuel and study every term in there....me my self....i just rip my quad off the truck...and go blast the hell outta it...

Think about it TC. You buy a bike, brake it in how ever you want it blows up. Now you say it is a p.o.s. and won't ever buy that brand again or have the engine builder build you another engine. Then when your friends ask you where you got your engine built or what kind of bike you have you tell them then tell them NOT to go there. Now the manufacturer or engine builder tells you the proper way to brake in an engine and you do and it runs really strong and for a long time. You refer all your friends there. Now tell me if the manufacturers care about weather you brake it the unit right or not.
After working in bike shops since I was in high school then going to MMI and being in the industry fixing them for several years and actually being educated on motorcycles I can make an intellegent decision on how I want to brake mine in. I can't remember the last time I actually read an owners manual. Hell I rarely read a shop manual unless I need a specific spec. I have enough knowledge in my head that I don't need to and I can make an educated decision. Not just follow someone elses lead becasue it sounds like the fun way to do something when everyone else says to do it another way. You are entitled to you opinion and that's all good. Just don't get all up on your high horse and start calling someone else a geek. Especially when you have no idea what you are talking about. People on this forum need to grow up a little.

Red00Honda400EX
01-08-2004, 08:19 AM
The engine isn't the biggest part of breaking in a new bike or vehicle. A lot has to do with the transmission. Break it in like you stole it and the bike may run faster, although it's doubtful, but your transmission with suffer in the end. You'll be doing more repaires faster while the other guys are out riding. Take a good 5 hours and break your new 450R in. Why not you just spent nearly 7k on a bike whats a few hours going to hurt you right?

When you get the motor rebuilt it's totally different than buying a new bike off of the show room floor. Some may dissagree to those I say "to each their own".

2004TRX450R
01-08-2004, 09:28 AM
Originally posted by harescrambles
youre not helping yourself still sounding like a geek.lol

What ever. I'd rather look like a geek to you than be an ignorant fool:D

xc400ex
01-10-2004, 06:20 PM
I broke my 400ex in when I bought it new in april according to mototune. Never smoked ran great. Built it up to a 416 broke it in the same way-ran great till the air filter came off. Now I have a 426 kit and broke it in hard and still runs great till this day. I bought a new 300ex in 2001 and broke it in according to the manual. It started smoking the first week I had it and thats the honest truth. Never did stop smoking cause I never did rebuild it. Traded it in on the 03 400ex. The most important thing and is even more important if you have an aftermarket forged piston is to let the motor warm up fully before riding so the piston will expand and oil reached all parts of the motor. Secondly drop the oil after an hour of riding..new motor parts do break in...its very common for aluminum shavings to be in the oil on a new motor..if you dont change the oil within 1-2 hours on a new motor these metal shavings will coat bearings, shafts..pretty much everything in the motor..that will cause excess heat buildup and a slow motor..let the motor warm up good..ride it hard..and change the oil first thing and often after that and you'll have a great motor.

01-11-2004, 06:23 PM
How does a transmissioin break in anyway??

xc400ex
01-11-2004, 06:32 PM
The gears aren't 100% perfectly matched. After the transmission is run there will be metal shavings from the moving parts just like from the motor as the parts match together...most importantly change the oil within the first hours.

TCracin440ex
01-11-2004, 06:38 PM
ive never broke any of my quads in according to what the dealer suggest...but i do change the oil after the 1st few hours...and i do still change the oil after every other ride, change the spark plug, and change the oil filter, i run 110 octane gas in my 400ex and ive never had any problems far as motor wise..

Pahrump
01-12-2004, 09:35 AM
ive never broke any of my quads in according to what the dealer suggest...but i do change the oil after the 1st few hours...and i do still change the oil after every other ride, change the spark plug, and change the oil filter, i run 110 octane gas in my 400ex and ive never had any problems far as motor wise..

Man I don't claim to really know much besides which beer I like to drink but 110 for a stock 400EX is kinda overkill you think?

You do know that you don't benefit from more octane than your engines needs?

TCracin440ex
01-12-2004, 01:11 PM
my bike has never ran off nothin but 110 octane....if i try and put 93 in it...it pops and sputters....ive ran 110 octane in my bike since it was stock...

xc400ex
01-12-2004, 06:19 PM
Your jetting is off......that 110 is waisting your money...get the jetting spot on and itll run great on 93.

Pahrump
01-12-2004, 06:25 PM
my bike has never ran off nothin but 110 octane....if i try and put 93 in it...it pops and sputters....ive ran 110 octane in my bike since it was stock...

:confused: There is no reason that your bike would pop and fart by running 93, or even 91 unless you have a tune problem.

My YFZ with 11.9:1 compression only needed 91 and now with the 13:1 in it I run 100 with no problems at all.

You are wasting your money like said above by running 110 in a stock 400EX.

TCracin440ex
01-12-2004, 06:31 PM
i really dont care...i hate the way 93 smells when its burnt also....CAM2 smells alot better....and it aint like its hurting my bike...after ive ran 110 in it for so long it aint gonna hurt it to continue...110 burns at a higher temp, and it burns cleaner...so....we sometimes run a cam2/93 oct. mix in our vette...it doesnt hurt ne thing cept ya wallet

Pahrump
01-12-2004, 06:37 PM
Oh run whatever you want its your wallet and no it does not hurt the engine but it can actually rob HP.

BTW higher octane fuel burns COOLER not hotter.

Chevy454
01-12-2004, 08:27 PM
I'm just now getting back into quads, but thought I might jump in here for a bit...

Having owned/operated a small engine dyno for our kart racing program, and spending several hours on a "big" dyno with our big block Chevy drag engines, I can tell you there definitely IS a proper break in procedure...and it's not "treating it like you stole it". This goes for everything from our lowly 100cc 2-stroke Yamahas and 8hp Briggs, all the way up to our 510ci Chevy. There is DEFINITELY a power difference, and we've even ruined engines breaking them in incorrectly (on purpose). That first 30 minutes or so is crucial, for everything from ring seal to cam break in...and that's just the engine parts! And believe it or not, new cars come with break in instructions as well. While we all see what's in the oil the first time we change it, it would be worth everyone's time to cut open their filter...that's what will tell the story.

As for the octane rating in your 400EX, it sounds to me like you're missing the boat. Too much octane will HURT POWER, just as an improper break-in procedure will...it's no different on your single cylinder 400cc Honda than it is on my 427ci Chevy. In fact, we put a 10:1 427 together 2 years ago that I ran a 110 and premium mix, and it would actually slow down of an evening...I changed to premium, and it picked it back up...gotta have a certain amount of heat in that combustion chamber to work, and low compression and high octane ain't the way to get it. And of course, the converse is true with our 12:1 427. But then again, what do I know...

xc400ex
01-12-2004, 08:33 PM
And believe it or not, new cars come with break in instructions as well

I guess thats why new vehicles roll off the assembly line and are run wide open to speeds around 90-100mph?

Vehicles and atv's have break in procedures so people dont get killed...what would happen if some average joe never rode a 4 wheeler before goes an buys a new 400ex and the manual says you must ride it hard for a proper break in..he wrecks and takes honda to court...yeah right its all BS for the lawyers.

Chevy454
01-12-2004, 08:41 PM
Ever taken the tour of the Corvette plant in Bowling Green? They are slow loaded and broken in on a chassis dyno before they ever leave the factory...

xc400ex
01-12-2004, 08:43 PM
Nope never visited the place sounds like I need to...Thats the first auto maker ive heard of doing this...

xc400ex
01-12-2004, 08:46 PM
Also maybe you should check in how they are running them on the dyno's. Breakin one in a dyno is a popular way-run the motors to maximum rpm's a certain number of times. Its a more precise way.

Chevy454
01-12-2004, 08:51 PM
Believe me, I've got lots of time on dynos, so no need for the explanation. And as for the "precision" of the dyno for the break-in period, "maximum rpm's" should be one of your least concerns...

xc400ex
01-12-2004, 08:53 PM
Yeah thats true...I guess I should have worded it maximum rpm needed to attain adequate cylinder pressure.

biohazard1.2
01-14-2004, 04:05 AM
yea i broke my 400ex in that way....soon as i pulled it off the truck...i was ridding wheelies up the driveway and givin her hell...i knew she would hold up...come on now its a honda....altho.....i can say....id never break in a yamaha like that....too scared it would break down...i bet money if i pulled a yamaha off the truck (not saying that it would ever be a yamaha on my truck) but if i pulled a yamajunk fresh off the truck and reamed her arse and kept it pinned....i bet money it would break or not act right...so i agree...break it in like your going to ride it...its pretty much the same concept with buying a new car....you dont go to the dealer ship and buy a brand new vette and just poke arround...the 1st thing u want to do when they hand you the keys is pinn it and atleast lay a few burnouts to see what shes got........ride it hard....breaks it in better...

hey, kid...you are showing your IQ.

oh...the owners manual and shop manual are not just for geeks...but maybe, you cannot read.

on the vette issue...I had an 02, you do not do that with a vette (5.7 LS1) because you can cause some serious issues in the valve train. You wait for about 1200 miles, after the first oil change, then you can get on it.

TCracin440ex
01-14-2004, 01:25 PM
ah horse shyt....dont u think dealers drive the car before you buy it.....dont you think people test drive the car before you buy it....so let me pull my boots up because the bull shyts gettin thick....dude there was proally quite a few people that laid into your vette before you even bought it....im sure the dealers drove it, the manufacture dynoed it, some rich people came up and test drove it...and i bet money all of them that drove it...pourd it on her arse...so think bout that....

back to quads now....its the same way with a new quad...dont u think when a dealer gets a new released quad in they dont take it out in the parking lot and pinn it....DRR...ive seen it done im friends with the local honda dealer...right when i got my 400ex my dealer serviced the quad for me and took it rippin arround the parking lot ridding wheelies and every thing else...so tell me what i dont know

theres alot of people thats done put it on our quads and cars that we dont know about...

r450rr
01-14-2004, 01:49 PM
actually u are wrong about the fact that alot of people drive it before you buy it... maybe with like sunfires, and s-10's, but ur more expensive vehicles mostley ,, and i am saying if u prefer it wich i do.. the lots have cars with like zero miles on them and like 5 or 10 miles,, but yes you are correct about if that new car has about a hundred miles on it, i wouls say someone gutwremched before u purchased it,, but like the bowling green plant , alomost all those vettes have little if no miles on them..especially since they are produced there.

TCracin440ex
01-14-2004, 02:26 PM
dude u kno what i mean tho....and...i know that not just any dealer will jet some average joe schmoe come up and test drive a corvette...they gotta be rich to drive somethin like that or intend on buying..but dealers and test drivers put it onto the newer vehicles.....jus like my honda dealer puts it to the new released or any quad they get at the dealer ship

2004TRX450R
01-14-2004, 06:05 PM
Hmmm. I think I would go buy and take my bikes somewhere else if I saw the techs out wheelieing them. I know at the dealership I work at if I get cought wheelieing in the parking lot the owner would have a fit. Hell I was out in the snow about a week ago on my own quad at work and doing very slow tamed doughnuts in the parking lot not going 4th gear WOT and kicking it sideways or anything and the owner of the shop came over and *****ed me out. When a bike is new I don't rev the piss out of it. Yes sometimes it is very tempting to go out and wail on a bike but you can goose it from low rpms and kinda see what it has without revving the crap out of it. And yes I know what you are saying about some places will take a bike out and rip on it. Just me personally I try to take it easy on them.

TCracin440ex
01-14-2004, 09:32 PM
dude...the owner and his employee's have wheelie competitions in the parking lot here.....they get on the utility bikes and ride wheelies, and pretty much any bike....1 of them got on a rincon and rode a wheelie all the way across the parking lot..then put it in 4x4 and did a wheelie in reverse....alot of people blast the fugg outta new bikes, quads, and cars....my local yamaha dealer ship took their yfz 450 out and blasted it in the parking lot, then they washed it off....and put it back on the show room floor like nothing happend...

2004TRX450R
01-14-2004, 10:32 PM
dude...the owner and his employee's have wheelie competitions in the parking lot here.....they get on the utility bikes and ride wheelies, and pretty much any bike....1 of them got on a rincon and rode a wheelie all the way across the parking lot..then put it in 4x4 and did a wheelie in reverse....alot of people blast the fugg outta new bikes, quads, and cars....my local yamaha dealer ship took their yfz 450 out and blasted it in the parking lot, then they washed it off....and put it back on the show room floor like nothing happend...

Thank God I don't have to worry about buying a bike there. Doesn't sound like a very professional shop to me. I don't think they will be getting an app. or resume from me any time soon.

TCracin440ex
01-14-2004, 10:40 PM
i trust my honda dealer before i trust the local yamaha dealer....i hate my local yamaha dealer..hes a penis wrinkle dude.....my friend bought a raptor from them...they charged him all kinda bs fees...crate fees, assembly fees, all kinda fees...enuff to make the bike go up to 6800.00....

my local honda dealer is honest....id rather them ride my bike in the parking lot instead of charging me an extra 8 or 9 hundred dollars for a bike.....i got my 400ex brand new in 02...they knocked like 5 or 6 hundred off....thats praolly because i was a returning customer and i kno them well