PDA

View Full Version : 450r dirtwheels review

lukester720
01-02-2004, 12:17 AM
The new dirtwheels is out and inside is a review of the 450r and it sounds good! Plus a few new pics. I know some of you guys say that the atv mags are biast but I'm sure you'll be out buying the new dw's too! Lol

450Racer
01-02-2004, 04:09 PM
my friend has the mag and he's not home right now. WHAT'S IT SAY!? he told me a few things...it's impossible to bottom the shocks and the front end likes to float high. tell me what they said!? THANK YOU!

MIA450R
01-02-2004, 08:23 PM
:blah:STOP READING NOW IF YOU WANT TO
BE SURPRISED WHEN YOU READ THE ARTICLE YOURSELF:blah:

Here's my favorite quote from the article: "By the Better Red than dead" staff at Dirt Wheels. I was shocked that they said that....nothing like wearing your feelings on your sleeve. So much for unbiased...

Anyways, in general, the article says nothing really new, but then again, it is a first ride, not a shootout with the YFZ, like we're all waiting to see.

- glorifies the brakes as the best ever on production ATV
- says the geometry handles more 250R-like (than 400EX-like)
- suspension is one of the best ever due to shocks and geom (couldnt bottom out)
- 1st gear may be a bit too tall (can fix with larger rear sprkt)
- starts easily with one kick
- prefers hard accel & braking over powersliding thru corners (due to rear tires grip)
- ton of torque, pulling hard to 9850 rev limit
- lighter front end than YFZ
- excellent jumping manners
- easier riding than YFZ
- power is 1st rate coming on early and strong thru top end
- ergos feels more setup for woods/trail than mx/racing
- should be a contender for top honors of high-perf sport ATVs
- has beaucoup power that comes on smooth and effortlessly
- "state of the art" 4 stroke that goes way beyond a beefed up 400EX, and picks up where the 250R left off

The last 2 points were nice to hear, but we'll see what the real deal is when its finallly compared to the YFZ. They said nothing about #'s (HP/TQ) and nothing about the HRC kit. I just want to know how beaucoup the power really is...

jimbo45
01-02-2004, 08:46 PM
- 1st gear may be a bit too tall (can fix with smaller rear sprkt)
Uh, wouldn't you want a bigger (more teeth) rear sprocket or a smaller (less teeth) front sprocket if 1st gear was too tall?

MIA450R
01-02-2004, 08:56 PM
Oops...my bad. Corrected my typo. Ive got a head cold while writing this...where's my Nyquil

4fiddyR
01-02-2004, 09:45 PM
You drunk! :p

lukester720
01-03-2004, 02:22 PM
Originally posted by MIA450R
:blah:STOP READING NOW IF YOU WANT TO
BE SURPRISED WHEN YOU READ THE ARTICLE YOURSELF:blah:

Here's my favorite quote from the article: "By the Better Red than dead" staff at Dirt Wheels. I was shocked that they said that....nothing like wearing your feelings on your sleeve. So much for unbiased...

Anyways, in general, the article says nothing really new, but then again, it is a first ride, not a shootout with the YFZ, like we're all waiting to see.

- glorifies the brakes as the best ever on production ATV
- says the geometry handles more 250R-like (than 400EX-like)
- suspension is one of the best ever due to shocks and geom (couldnt bottom out)
- 1st gear may be a bit too tall (can fix with larger rear sprkt)
- starts easily with one kick
- prefers hard accel & braking over powersliding thru corners (due to rear tires grip)
- ton of torque, pulling hard to 9850 rev limit
- lighter front end than YFZ
- excellent jumping manners
- easier riding than YFZ
- power is 1st rate coming on early and strong thru top end
- ergos feels more setup for woods/trail than mx/racing
- should be a contender for top honors of high-perf sport ATVs
- has beaucoup power that comes on smooth and effortlessly
- "state of the art" 4 stroke that goes way beyond a beefed up 400EX, and picks up where the 250R left off

The last 2 points were nice to hear, but we'll see what the real deal is when its finallly compared to the YFZ. They said nothing about #'s (HP/TQ) and nothing about the HRC kit. I just want to know how beaucoup the power really is...

The honda R&D guys said 42 hp stock and 13% gain with the hrc kit which would be 47 to 48 hp.
Curtis sparks also confirmed the stock hp to be 42 hp.

Foxrage
01-03-2004, 04:45 PM
Atv sport has about the same to say. Heres one quote i found intresting:
Stock for stock the trx feels more powerful. But modified fashion yamahas gyt-r pipe and jetting along with no airbox lid feels more responsive than the hrc equiped trx. something to consider howeveris noise output the hrc kit seems to make less noise than the gyt-r.

It also said a different exhaust instead of just a new end cap would give it much more potential.

It also explains about why the use of the butterfly-type carb instead of the fcr carb. tells why they added things to the motor. Most of everything is for warranty. there is no warranty on dirtbikes.

It said it had a center of gravity like a 400ex compared to a 250r

It also stated 42 stock and 47 with the hrc kit...

It really convinced me to stay with honda and not go with any other. L8er

montyjcm
01-03-2004, 05:24 PM
My brother got his mag today (too bad he isn't home:D ). The thing that really stuck with me was that the trx is smooth through the whole ride. Unlike the yfz, it is smooth in the slow speeds and high speeds, both suspension and power wise. They also said the shocks were great.

Pappy
01-03-2004, 05:35 PM
are you guys gonna be mad when you ride it and its just an improved 400ex :confused:

crucial si
01-03-2004, 05:44 PM
Originally posted by Pappy
are you guys gonna be mad when you ride it and its just an improved 400ex :confused:

you cannot campare a ex to the trx..what is wrong with you.:rolleyes:

Pappy
01-03-2004, 05:49 PM
i cant:confused:

416exmx
01-03-2004, 05:52 PM
Originally posted by crucial si

hahaha you dont know that either!!!!

Got nads?
01-03-2004, 06:45 PM
Originally posted by 4fiddyR
You drunk! :p

Maybe he took to much Nyquil!!!!

MIA450R
01-03-2004, 07:03 PM
:devil: no such thing as too much nyquil :devil:
:eek: perc's on the other hand... :eek:

ATV Sport does seem to say much of the same, as Foxrage pointed out. But unlike DirtWheels, they commented on the HRC kit, power levels before and after, along with seat-of-the-pants comparisons with stock and modded YFZs. Good stuff: HRC-equipped TRX (unlike GYT-R'd YFZ) falls within the 96db legal sound level. Interestingly: Honda/HRC has no interest in getting into aftermarket a-arms, wider axles and the like...leaving that to aftermarket. They also have some new closeup pix that we havent seen b4.

I would say its highly probable that an HRC-equipped TRX with an aftermarket full exhaust, K&N, no lid and matched jetting will net around 51HP at the crank ~ 44HP or so at the wheels....all while having serious TQ throughout the powerband. Not bad for essentially bolt-on mods. (keep in mind, I think the TRX was MEANT to have the HRC cam in it...much like the YFZ cam mod)

All guesses tho. :rolleyes:

Foxrage
01-03-2004, 11:07 PM
are you guys gonna be mad when you ride it and its just an improved 400ex

thats all we ever said we wanted was a 400ex with a crf motor in it but i think they did it one better.

JWhite
01-03-2004, 11:39 PM
Originally posted by crucial si

Definately can't. :blah:

trueblue450
01-04-2004, 12:01 AM
good review ...

psd1
01-04-2004, 12:50 AM
Originally posted by JWhite
Definately can't. :blah:

:eek2: Nope, you cant...cause there aint NONE! Maybe in a month or so though :D

4fiddyR
01-04-2004, 01:16 AM
It says the radials hook up and don't like to spin, I'll be airing those puppies up to at least 8PSI trying to get it to powerslide.

Guy400
01-04-2004, 06:56 AM
DirtWheels (and nearly all other ATV mags) are known for putting the newest quad available on a pedestal and singing its praises so there is bias in their reporting. With that being said you can draw some inferences from their article. The bottomline is that this TRX is going to be a much better performer than the nay-sayers gave it credit for.

Pappy
01-04-2004, 06:58 AM
i didnt think they were as excited as i figured they would be. it was good review but being that this is touted as the replacemnet for the "R" you'd think they would jump up and down.

i still say no matter what, the factory support in racing has me more excited then the quad:p

TCracin440ex
01-04-2004, 07:09 AM
dude only thing i dont like about the 450r is them stock rear tires...my friend has them on his raptor and you cant break it loose whatso ever.....too much side wall grip...so soon after i get my R....the stockers commin off...front and rear....and the mx fronts and mxr rears are goin on it

JWhite
01-04-2004, 10:07 AM
Originally posted by Guy400
DirtWheels (and nearly all other ATV mags) are known for putting the newest quad available on a pedestal and singing its praises so there is bias in their reporting. With that being said you can draw some inferences from their article. The bottomline is that this TRX is going to be a much better performer than the nay-sayers gave it credit for.

Definately! On all the above!

It will be suprising a lot of people. Not being a "top end" machine will make it much easier to ride harder and longer. It'll have great torque. I think the TRX will have a super useful power curve making it easier to ride faster...especially in the tighter stuff and setting up coming out of a corner for the pass or that big jump you need the speed for. That's where the torque (and bottom to mid) will kick in and the YFZ don't have that (got 2 here).

Bottomline...have no fear Honda fans! The new TRX450R will INDEED be ALL THAT. The Yamaha guys better be scared. I can't wait to get my first unit. Got my name in for 2.

450rboy
01-04-2004, 10:51 AM

your are so wroung man because its lighter, tons of engine differents, sub frame, pipe, fenders, air scopes, shocks, and lots of other stuff.

can you tell me one thing that it can be a hop up 400ex.

just tell me something

Pappy
01-04-2004, 10:55 AM
can anyone with intelligence disagree with my statement:confused:

450rboy
01-04-2004, 10:56 AM
Originally posted by 416exmx
hahaha you dont know that either!!!!

yea a lot of people do now. you don't

Hammer trx450r
01-04-2004, 10:57 AM
has a way with words doesn't he

Pappy
01-04-2004, 10:58 AM
Originally posted by Hammer trx450r
has a way with words doesn't he

lol..yeah be has issues with reading comprehension

Hammer trx450r
01-04-2004, 11:00 AM
english teachers worst nightmare

Pappy
01-04-2004, 11:04 AM
ok ill dumb down the question:

what would an improved 400ex be:devil: (do you get it now knucklehead)

4fiddyR
01-04-2004, 12:33 PM
The TRX450R is gonna be a much gooder. kuad! Yeaaaaaaa!

450rboy
01-04-2004, 01:55 PM
ok ill dumb down the question:

what would an improved 400ex be:devil: (do you get it now knucklehead)

can you just tell how the 450r is a hopped up 400ex

TCracin440ex
01-04-2004, 02:17 PM
dude what hes sayin is 400ex is old no doubt...but still winning races....400ex handles good n shyt....so what hes sayin...is the 450r is better 400ex with more hp, and liquid cooled....

psd1
01-04-2004, 04:06 PM
Dont cap on people boys! Or someone will have to be censored! Oh, wait, the people cappin are the ones with censorship power! :huh

Sorry, couldnt help it!

TCracin440ex
01-04-2004, 04:14 PM
ok we are really straying far away from subject....bottom line bout 450r in d/w is...i dont read d/w i just look at the pics....and get the websites outta it....d/w does the same thing with every new quad....put them on a pedistol.....the z400 came out...they bashed the 400ex and raptor so bad....the predator came out....z400 bashing time.....the yfz came out...time to bash all the older model quads.....450r came out....Lets bash the yfz 450.....i think seriously dw is paid off...i mean i actually feel sorry for some 1 that gets there info from dirt wheels....because they are bein fed a few lines of b/s....yea sure they have been in the atv mag industry for a while...but they can never give an honest review of a quad...they play favorites too much...and when your judging some 1 like that you cant play favorites....thats like havin a yamaha guy judging a honda...or vice versa....they are going to give their brand the benefit of the doubt...so basically....i look at dirt wheels for the pics...they have an excelent photographer....but the editors....they suck....bottom line...dont trust dirt wheels for good info...believe nothing that you hear/read.....and half of what you see..

trx440
01-04-2004, 04:54 PM
If you have a no holds barred Sparks, FST, LRD, CT, TC, GT Thunder, Trinity FDO, Hetrick or Duncan 440ex with long travel TCS, PEP, Axis, Elka or Motowoz suspesion and all of the components by Roll, LSR, Laeger, Houser, Gibson, Herrman, Arens or Walsh, why is that bike not better than a stock or lightly modded 450R??

Do you know how many guys are gonna get beat by modded ex's as soon as they show up with their 450R for the first race?

I've never ridden one, I'll get mine on the first round of shipping but it willl not be faster than my old 440 -now an LRD465. That bike lays WASTE to uncorked YFZ's. 47rwhp is 47rwhp and all things being equal the EX will be faster with the same hp because it is easier to ride.

And if you don't think ex's are fast, come out to Glamis over MLK and watch what the little EX's do when set up to drag. It took Sparks 18months to make his 690 Raptors faster than his 465 EX's.

Quit swinging. "New stock" does not equal "professionally modded old"

r450rr
01-04-2004, 05:05 PM
exactly what u said is right... they always bash the old ones and give the new ones credit no matter what,,, ill never for get reading about how the z 400 was such a better quad all around than the 400ex,.... when all around the z 400 was basically the same demension wise..so i dont see how they concluded that cause all it is is a susuzki 400 ex...(posers)

TCracin440ex
01-04-2004, 05:13 PM
like i said...d/w is all over newer quads nuts....dirt wheels shouldnt be a quad mag industry...they should be in the knob polishin industry

r450rr
01-04-2004, 05:20 PM
yea lol...

8=======D:blah:

ur right

01-04-2004, 08:04 PM
if youa ll dont like the stock tires you can trade them in for equal value or for credit on any toher tires at the dealership.....I betcha didnt know that ;)

TCracin440ex
01-04-2004, 08:22 PM
dude i didnt kno that...imma trade them stockers in for a set of mxr rear and mx fronts WOOOT WOOOT

Foxrage
01-04-2004, 08:47 PM
wow i find that hard to believe....where did you find that out at

01-04-2004, 09:09 PM
my dealership does it when you first buy any quad from them brand new.....my friend got holeshots all around on his raptor for ony like $50 installed ...you have to do this before you eave the dealership floor & they will usually always work it out with you b/c they are making alot of money off you

holeshot19
01-05-2004, 04:50 AM
ill be takeing my own out of the crate and replaceing the wheels and tires on the unit before it hits the ground. the factory tires will be in the parts department for sale.

2004TRX450R
01-05-2004, 12:22 PM
Originally posted by Jumbo747
if youa ll dont like the stock tires you can trade them in for equal value or for credit on any toher tires at the dealership.....I betcha didnt know that ;)

That only depends on the dealership not all do it and I'd be most don't.

4fiddyR
01-05-2004, 05:50 PM
Mine does not