PDA

View Full Version : Sparks X-6/X-4

phebus
01-01-2004, 07:27 PM
On a 400EX with the only mods, being airbox, jetting and pipe, which would be the better Sparks exhaust, X-4 or X-6. The quad will be used mostly for desert trail riding with a lot of single track climbing up moderate hills in loose sandy/rocky trails.

Thanks

02Yellow400
01-01-2004, 07:30 PM
I am not positive on this one but im pretty sure the x-6 is for more heavily modded engines...but im sure someone on here can help you out a little better then me

phebus
01-01-2004, 07:43 PM
Yea, on their website they say the X-4 is for stock motors, and the X-6 vis for mod. motors, but I have read reviews saying the X-6 is the best all round pipe, and now I am confused on which to buy. As I stated the quad will be used mostly for desert trail riding and hill climbing. I rarely get past fourth gear, so low end grunt is the most important thing.

shamisc
01-01-2004, 07:47 PM
On Sparks' site, they state that futher research showed the the X-6 performed better than the X-4 on stock and modded engines. I've had both and IMO, the X-4 S U C K S ! ! I put my X-6 on b4 my 440 and I could tell a big diff in the two. The X-6 had the same bottom end torque with better top end power! I suggest the X-6 !:D I would, however, buy it directly from Sparks. Reason: I bought an X-4 last summer, had it 2 months, and it looked like it had 15 years of rust built up! Sent it back, took 8 months to get it back from C. Sparks so I was forced to buy a new X-6 while waiting on the X-4. Now it's rusted!:mad: Curtis claims they use a different coating process now. I saw a 4 moth old pipe on a Raptor today that looked brand new so his claim must be true. The reason I would order it from Curtis is b/c you don't know how long your local dealer has had his lying around. Could be old ceramic!;) Hope this helps ya!:cool:

cals400ex
01-01-2004, 11:05 PM
Originally posted by shamisc
On Sparks' site, they state that futher research showed the the X-6 performed better than the X-4 on stock and modded engines. I've had both and IMO, the X-4 S U C K S ! ! I put my X-6 on b4 my 440 and I could tell a big diff in the two. The X-6 had the same bottom end torque with better top end power! I suggest the X-6 !:D I would, however, buy it directly from Sparks. Reason: I bought an X-4 last summer, had it 2 months, and it looked like it had 15 years of rust built up! Sent it back, took 8 months to get it back from C. Sparks so I was forced to buy a new X-6 while waiting on the X-4. Now it's rusted!:mad: Curtis claims they use a different coating process now. I saw a 4 moth old pipe on a Raptor today that looked brand new so his claim must be true. The reason I would order it from Curtis is b/c you don't know how long your local dealer has had his lying around. Could be old ceramic!;) Hope this helps ya!:cool:

this is exactly why i bought the stainless steel pipe. sparks shop clearly told me that the stainless steel would be less maintenance. however, it doesn't look as bright and the heat transfer is not quite as good.

quadmxracer
01-02-2004, 08:56 AM
I would go with the X-6 its the best one from Sparks for you 400EX Stock or not. But whether you want Ceramic or Stainles steel is up to you. I like my ceramic myself. Hope this helps.

DONKEY
01-02-2004, 12:47 PM
I would buy the stainless X-6, it will work for modded or stock and if you ever decide to add to your mods, the pipe will still work fine. X-6

hondaexryda
01-02-2004, 01:42 PM
Ok , X-4 is for better Low-End Power and X-6 is better Top End Power

shamisc
01-02-2004, 06:58 PM
Originally posted by hondaexryda
Ok , X-4 is for better Low-End Power and X-6 is better Top End Power

WRONG!! X-4 SUCKS ***!! Read the article on Sparks' website. He says the X-6 works better on all 400ex's!:blah:

phebus
01-02-2004, 09:54 PM
Originally posted by shamisc
WRONG!! X-4 SUCKS ***!! Read the article on Sparks' website. He says the X-6 works better on all 400ex's!:blah:

If that is the case, why does he still make and sell the X-4?

cals400ex
01-03-2004, 01:55 AM
Originally posted by phebus
If that is the case, why does he still make and sell the X-4?

i agree. on the site it says they have found the x-6 to out perform the x-4 in most situations. however, on the phone they told me it would be best to get the x-4 on a stock bike unless your main concern is top speed. i put my x-6 on a stock bike and it ran better than the stock pipe, but it wasn't anything great i didn't think. you just needed to have the bike at high rpm's. if you plan on doing motorwork, i would just get the x-6. if you know you will keep the motor stock i would get the x-4.

hondaexryda
01-03-2004, 12:52 PM
i went on the sparks website and it says X-4 is better low-end and for stock motors, and X-6 is for performance motors and you get better TOP END