PDA

View Full Version : What's the EZ way to remove swingarm bearings??

shamisc
01-01-2004, 05:55 PM
How in the hell do you get deez thangs out?? I can only get the swingarm bolt about half way out, then it stops!! H E L P ! ! :(

LathersR
01-01-2004, 08:26 PM
Well like everyone says there is a easy way and a hard way to everything.. the easy way for this is a special tool you most likely do not have.. so the hard way.. a hammer, punch, and a torch.. take the torch to the ends of swingarm and heat it pretty good and just knock them out.. wont hurt a thing i garuntee it.. go for it bro unless you can find that tool..

Chino
01-01-2004, 09:08 PM
I think he titled the thread wrong. By what he's saying, he can't get the "pivot bolt itself out" you may have to get it cut out. But first try soaking it down real well. It may take a few days. I just had to get mine recently cut out with a plasma cutter, then i orderd a new bolt from jeff@quadshop with a greaze zerk on the end, money well spent, keep ur pivot bolt lubed up. As for the roller bearings in the swingarm itself, they are "Pressed in" so the correct way to go about that is getting them "Pressed Out", but as lathers said, you can head up both ends of the swingarm and with a chisel or punch you can probably pop them out. Good luck with whatever you do ~

LathersR
01-01-2004, 09:11 PM
hammer it back in.. make sure everything is in aligned right.. and tap it back out.. try that...

01-01-2004, 09:17 PM
where in the **** do you find a plasma cutter? iv'e never even heard of them.. :huh

RIDER11X
01-01-2004, 09:18 PM
Originally posted by LathersR
hammer it back in.. make sure everything is in aligned right.. and tap it back out.. try that...

I agree, but while it is halfway out, use the oppritunity to spray penetrating oil insde the swingarm, and all over the exposed part of the bolt, tap it back in carefully. Allow it to soak overnight, and try again. Tap it out gently while spinning the bolt, taking care to not get anyone hurt. It should come out.:cool:

If that don't work, get it as far out as you can and cut the bolt off, take off any burrs, and try to tap the remaining peice out the other side.

Regardless, replace the bolt and nut once it comes out.

shamisc
01-01-2004, 09:24 PM
Thanks guys. I was talking about the swingarm bolt, sorry.:p

By the way, how much is that swingarm bolt w/ the grease zerk in it?

Chino
01-01-2004, 09:25 PM
Originally posted by Jumbo747
where in the **** do you find a plasma cutter? iv'e never even heard of them.. :huh

I'm sure any of your local machine shops have one. That was the first time i've ever saw one up close and saw someone use it. It was definatly neat to see it. It cut thru it in like 5 seconds lol.

RIDER11X
01-01-2004, 09:29 PM
Originally posted by Chino
I'm sure any of your local machine shops have one. That was the first time i've ever saw one up close and saw someone use it. It was definatly neat to see it. It cut thru it in like 5 seconds lol.
We got one in our shop at work, it basically heats the steel with an electric flame while pushing the flame with compressed air from a compressor line and blows the molten metal away. yea, it will go through that bolt in about 5 seconds.

Chino
01-01-2004, 09:34 PM
Originally posted by RIDER11X
We got one in our shop at work, it basically heats the steel with an electric flame while pushing the flame with compressed air from a compressor line and blows the molten metal away. yea, it will go through that bolt in about 5 seconds.

One of my questions about the plasma cutter is, why exactly, do you have to have a ground to use it??

crap-banshee32
01-01-2004, 09:35 PM
HAMMER it

RIDER11X
01-01-2004, 09:43 PM
Originally posted by Chino
One of my questions about the plasma cutter is, why exactly, do you have to have a ground to use it?? The negative or ground attracts the positive to make the full circuit, like a welder.