PDA

View Full Version : 250ex won't shift into neutral

mmossler
01-01-2004, 03:23 PM
Went through a mud hole and stalled it out. Upon trying to shift into to neutral to restart it wouldn't go in. It will shift up 2 gears but seems to stop in first. I have had no problems shifting and today I rode for an hour with out any problems, just happened no warning. Had to push it 3/4 miles back home through the mud. 350lbs my a** it felt like I was pushing a truck.:eek2: :eek2: I never adjusted the clutch....
1) Any ideas what it might be?
2) Any way to defeat the neutral start, start in any gear would have been great today.
:cool:

Guy with a raptor stopped to help(I thought he did). When I told I need a tow, I have a tow strap, he laughed and wheeled away
:mad: I hate craptors:grr:

maxamillion
01-01-2004, 06:38 PM
mine has done that a few times also. i just stand up on the shifter and shake the quad side to side and every which way and it eventually goes into neutral.

250EXpwns
01-01-2004, 08:12 PM
Your transmision or gear box may have water in it. Try shaking it side to side while pushing down on the shifter like that guy said. That's the only thing I can think of.

xc400ex
01-01-2004, 08:58 PM
What kind of motor oil are you running? Oil can make a big difference in shifting sometimes..I recomend switching to Mobil 1 15w 50 synthetic red cap.

Diedrich
01-01-2004, 10:06 PM
yeah i would try out some new oils..yeah just jump on it..kick it..throw chit on it..it should go into to it eventually

mmossler
01-03-2004, 06:23 AM
I have already tried shaking it and rolling back and forth. It still will not shift down into neutral. Any other possibly more technical advice?

01-03-2004, 11:07 AM
me 2 i don no what it is but ill get stuck in mud and it will stall and it gets towed out then i jus keep down shifting and cant find neutral i jus keep trying to down shift an putting the key on to see if its in neutral and i eventually find it and like they said it helps if u rock it foward and down shift if it stalls on ya and it sucks cause i don think there is a way to start it in gear

01-03-2004, 11:08 AM
sry to post again but it also helps down shifting if u hold in the rear brake lever and down shift.

mmossler
01-03-2004, 11:40 AM
Yeah done that too. I adjusted the travel for the shifter, at least
I think I did. I loosened the nut on the front of the case and turned the threaed screw. I tried it all the way in & out still nothing. Also in that same area i took off a plate that covers the the cable for reverse. I can squeeze the the engagement and it will shift thru 4 gears and feels like it is going into reverse.. But still no light for neutral or reverse and starter will not engage.

exrider123
01-03-2004, 11:58 AM
Did you check to see if your Negative battery cable snapped, this happend to me twice. You never know.

mmossler
01-03-2004, 04:09 PM
well it turns out it was the positive connection at the battery. It was completely off. I guess it makes sense, noe that I think about it. A minute or two before it happened i had to back up and the reverse light was flickering. I thought it was just water that had got on a connection. It must have been loose or already disconnected. Or maybe when I hit the last mud hole it came off.

Anyway it is shifting better than ever now with adjusting the the threaded nut thing in front.

THANKS for all the help.