PDA

View Full Version : need some 400ex expert help...

mATR1X
01-01-2004, 12:19 AM
new to the forums , just got a new 400ex.

a few questions / observations...

attempted to paint plastics with krylon fusion .. 4 cans , many coats , lots of clear... 5 days to dry ... roll it over once and byebye paint. ** sucks **

tipped over and stock handlebars are totally bent and most likely pushed too forward now.

im 5"8 and i want to be able to turn well/ confident without tipping over .. right now i think the stock bars are bent forward so even if i lean over to whip it around it tips over ... ugh

looking to try the msr dominators maybe , or tag x5 cr high?

cold starting is a ***** , probally fouled a plug ... my stock tool thing will not fit onto the spark plug... doesnt seem to work at all and i need to change the plug...

also when i put the plastics and headlights back on , my headlights are aimed way high now .. how can i fix this? also when i hit the low beam switch one light turns off ... something wired wrong?..

advice appreciated . thanks

JOEX
01-01-2004, 12:39 AM
Damn! Sounds like you got off to a rough start:p

I have never understood the concept of painting plastic on an off road vehicle. To each their own.....

If you're not confident turning, start at slower speeds and work your way up;) I can't give you much advice on bar choice, sorry. I have Renthal ex bend and they seem ok but I think there could be something better. I'm about 6'

Install a 40 or 42 pilot to help with cold starting. Get a repair manual if you don't know how to do it. It's the best purchse you can make if you intend on doing any real maintenance on your quad yourself.

Double check your connections for the head light issue.

Something probable got jacked out of place during the roll over, look at the underside of the plastic for something out of place. Can't give you much detail though.

Joe

Sportrax10
01-01-2004, 01:23 AM
You will be glad that you have a 400ex when you see the price for new stock fenders...:p At servicehonda.com it will be only like $150 for new front and rear new plastic.:macho

I also have Renthal handlebars on my quad and like them a lot more then stock. I cant say I have tried any other leading handlebars though...

JOEX handles the cold starting issue... and the lights issue...

adrenaline
01-01-2004, 01:49 AM
yea i just got my 400 in november..used...but i left it out in the shed and it was a royal bit*h to start i was fouling plugs and killing the battery left and right..i moved it to the garage where it was warmer and it started and ran a lot easier but then ichanged the pilot jet and that mad a difference as well it starts so much easier now..as for the lights i dont know never had that problem..although i had a problem with the wires when i rolled it for the ignitonion they came undone :rolleyes:...

mATR1X
01-01-2004, 09:22 PM
makes no sense why the stock tool wont fit to change my plug ?? whats up with that? guess i need a new socket.

is jetting the quad going to be that hard? i already have a k/n air filter ... do i need to buy a "kit" or cant i just purchase a 42 pilot and 155 main?

should i remove my airbox cover?

xc400ex
01-01-2004, 09:28 PM
The stock tool works but its a tight fit you may have to wiggle it around a little. Yeah you can remove the air box cover and get a little more flow. You might not want to do this if you ride in the woods. It would be cheaper to just buy the individual jets rather than a jet kit.

02Yellow400
01-01-2004, 09:30 PM
I have never heard of the honda spark plug tool not working. But if you really cant get it to work go find an 18mm thin wall 6 point socket. And yes its cheaper to buy individual jets but getting the kit may be a better option if you ever plan on doing any mods or rejetting from summer to winter....where are you in PA

mATR1X
01-01-2004, 09:42 PM
im in carlisle pa

any places to ride around here ..

i have an acura integra and i dont know if i can tow my atv .. would really love to find some way

where are places to buy the jets ? i plan on getting an exhaust slip on ) i have intake .. so im thinking 42 pilot and 155 main

4TraxRider
01-01-2004, 09:45 PM
How close is Carlsile to Rausch Creek?

02Yellow400
01-01-2004, 09:45 PM
If your getting a slip on get an HMF i hear alot of good things about them. As for the jet kits a local dealer or of course C & D racing...or talk to Jeff@thequadshop.

Yes there are alot of places around here...(your about 2 hours from me give or take). But if you cant get your quad anywhere then its really gonna suck. Sell that integra and get a truck

shamisc
01-01-2004, 09:50 PM
I think your light problem could be the bulb itself. When you rolled it over you could have damaged one of the filaments in the bulb. Since it a dual element bulb, it will still work one way if only one element is damaged. Get yourself a Service manual first of all, and a new bulb, and you can adjust the headlight height by loosening the 2 screws up under the headlight assembly(under the front plastic) and move the lights where you want them. As far as painting your plastic, unless you're going to drive it back and forth to work, or you only plan to park it for everyone to admire, I would avoid that. Every little thing that hits it is going to chip the paint. Hope this helps ya!;) Look on Ebay and see if you can strike up a good deal on a service manual. A new one will run you about $50 at the Honda shop. I know that alot, but you have to pay to play and it will be the best $50 you'll ever spend on your quad!!

shamisc
01-01-2004, 09:53 PM
Originally posted by mATR1X
im in carlisle pa

any places to ride around here ..

i have an acura integra and i dont know if i can tow my atv .. would really love to find some way

where are places to buy the jets ? i plan on getting an exhaust slip on ) i have intake .. so im thinking 42 pilot and 155 main

You should be able to pick jets up at your local Honda shop. The only way I could see the spark plug tool not workin is if the wrong plug is in it! Make sure its a NGK DPR8Z or DPR9Z.

mATR1X
01-01-2004, 09:56 PM
sucks i had the learn the damn hard way

i thought to myself , im gonna make this work , paint it for a week and use so many coats itll be rock solid ..

4 cans of krylon fusion and 2 cans of clear ...

still looks ok but one small rollover and there were obvious yellow scratches ...

guess ill get new red plastics someday

hope i find a way to make my integra tow this *****... my cars lowered so that might be more issues with a hitch

mATR1X
01-01-2004, 09:58 PM
so the HMF is the way to go? do they have a quiet core , i dont want too too loud...

whats the diff with the hmf vs wb e series ?

whats the lowest price for the colored hmf slip ons ..

ReconRider25
01-02-2004, 03:37 PM
hmf slip ons- reg-209 colored-229. the wb is a tunable disc, hmf isnt. both good pipes and probable the 2 most often used as far as slip on goes.....if it were me id take the hmf.

ReconRider25
01-02-2004, 03:38 PM
oh yea, they do have a quiet core