PDA

View Full Version : help 250r problem

sweetass300ex
12-31-2003, 05:30 PM
i was out riding in naples and my friend was on my 87 250r and he was in third gear and all of a sudden it shut off and would not start so we sat there kicking it for 10 minsstill did not start and then i changed the plug and it still did not start so i started to wiggle some wire to see if something came lose and still did not start so now i am stuck with a non running r and that sucks so if anyone can help or have had this happen to them please let me know?!!!!!!!!!!!!! thank u for ur help

sweetass300ex

QuadRacer041
12-31-2003, 05:34 PM
it could be a bunch of differnt things
first does it have good compresion if you dont have a gauge how does it feel when you kick it?if its easy you might need a top end.
another simple yet anoying thing could be u just broke a reed petal off in the reed cage, that will shut the bike off in a second.
if that doesnt get u anyware, go get a repair manual and start trouble shooting the electrical system.

lil400exman
12-31-2003, 05:51 PM
also throw a new cdi on there every once in awhile that makes a bi difference. After 15 years they wear out and take a dump!;)

deathman53
12-31-2003, 07:26 PM
stators don't last forever also. I had a stator go out on me out of nowhere. One of my friends had his stator in his 200x go bad. I think its not the actual stator that goes its the pickup. First I would check for spark, reed pedals, compession. It could be something very dumb, if you still have the stock kill/headlight switch unplug that and check spark. I have heard that they short out. There is a number of other things, connectors came out of coil, connector for cdi is loose/dirty, spark plug cap bad.

Got nads?
12-31-2003, 07:47 PM
you may also want to check your carburetor for any obstructions in the float bowl, I had that happen, a filing of plastic from the tank got stuck down there preventing any flow of gas.

sweetass300ex
01-01-2004, 10:27 AM
thanks for the help i will try it now and see if it works i wil let u now thanks again

JTRtrx250r
01-01-2004, 11:33 AM
Hey ***...
If you dont get spark w/ that CDI box,try putting it in the freezer for an hr,then put it back on quickly before it thaws back out and see if you get spark,....if you do get spark w/ it frozen...its most likely a bad cdibox, putting it in the freezer makes everything inside it contract,which makes it tighter on the connections inside,it will only work when its frozen,and not all of them will work like that,give it a try and see

cgmxer115
01-01-2004, 12:38 PM
got gas in the tank:rolleyes: bet your woodruff key sheered off

JTRtrx250r
01-01-2004, 12:48 PM
Originally posted by cgmxer115
got gas in the tank:rolleyes: lmao haha:D

sweetass300ex
01-02-2004, 05:52 PM
i desided to tare it apart today i took off the stator cover and i looked next to the stater where the mag is and there is three bolts that hold a shaft which i think is the water pump gear or something but anyway the 3 bolts r soposed to be there but there is one top one and the bottom right one is snaped and the one on the left is not there so i think that it moved the mag from the stator and that is why it has weak sparkand not starting i hope that is it

QuadRacer041
01-02-2004, 08:22 PM
Originally posted by sweetass300ex
i desided to tare it apart today i took off the stator cover and i looked next to the stater where the mag is and there is three bolts that hold a shaft which i think is the water pump gear or something but anyway the 3 bolts r soposed to be there but there is one top one and the bottom right one is snaped and the one on the left is not there so i think that it moved the mag from the stator and that is why it has weak sparkand not starting i hope that is it

take a picture and post it

deathman53
01-02-2004, 08:47 PM
that is our counterballancer holder, on the other end is the waterpump, you chold check ti to see if it is cracked,most of them crack and take out your stator and gouge the case, mine wetn last week and gouged the case, but not bad enough that the case was shot

sweetass300ex
01-03-2004, 01:32 PM
i would take a pic but i dont own a camara srry but yea it is the counter balancer and i orderd the two bolts lets pray that is it

deathman53
01-03-2004, 02:07 PM
I would replace the balancer holder, if you only had one bolt holding it, it most likely is cracked. When they crack they take out the pickup. That probably is not he problem, the pickup is most likely bad, that is what goes bad on the r stators. Unfortunitly you have to buy a new stator , as pickups aren't sold. You can get a new balancer holder from hinson for $70 and a stator from ricky stator for $125. I run a cr250 ignition so I wasn't out a statro when the balancer broke.

sweetass300ex
01-04-2004, 05:41 PM
the counter balancer is not broke or cracked but there was two bolts holding it but one snaped of in the block. it gets spark but it is weak because the mag moved away from stator and if i get a new stator what kind should i get