PDA

View Full Version : polishing

300expower
12-31-2003, 04:42 PM
hi,

i'm in the processing of polishing my side cases, and i'm doing it with the cotton wheel you put on a drill. it's great, works weel (better then by hand:o )

but on the 300ex side case, there is a lot of ''holes'' if you wanna name them that way that the drill cant go, so what should i do? because i got almost 3/4 of the case polished, and there is still paint marks, i think it's so ugly, i need a solution bad...

i think about the dremel and a lil sanding end, what about your opinion?

redrunner
12-31-2003, 05:17 PM
Dremel sell what the call "felt bobs" they basically are a smal cotton/felt wheel or tapered shaped that will allow you to get into the tight places. Get some "Semichrome" polish and that should do the trick. Use it all the time on molds.;) ;)

K_Fulk
12-31-2003, 05:41 PM
You have paint marks? First you need to take the paint off with some stripper then wet sand before you start polishing. To get in the cracks try getting some small buffing wheels you can put on a drill.

only_banshees
12-31-2003, 09:00 PM
You are better off chrome plating it, polished covers suck for offroad bikes atc atv's etc.... thats for sport bikes
little things like throttle covers dont get exposed to your boots or as much dirt as the covers would see

If you are already doing it, check out www.caswellplating.com
They even sell electroless plating kits, so after its polished you can plate it yourself for a decent price

Or another option is to buy the clear coat to use over the finish

The best way to polish your covers would be like this:

1. sand blast the part (parts), or use aircraft paint remover( auto zone sells this product and its the best to get the factory paint off)

2. Order a Sisal buff, its like a rope like buffing wheel that will totally flush out the finish and remove casting flaws and prepare the suface better for polsihing

3. cotton buff with tripoli compond which will start the process of shining up the covers

4. use a cotton soft felt buff with white compond and you will end up with a all most chrome like shine.

The old school way would be to sit there with sand paper starting from like 180grit up to 2000 grit and spend hrs polsihing then using mothers to bring the shine out.

300expower
01-01-2004, 08:08 AM
redrunner: ok i'll go at the canadian tire to see if they have some of those, and buy myself a dremel (always usefull).

k_fulk: i heard that if you sandblast aluminium the sand will get in the aluminium and it will be a pain in the *** to get it out of there. anyway, with my cotton wheel i just have to let it sit there 30sec more to get the paint off.

only_banshees: ok i'll try that stuff paint remover, do they got some of that at wal mart? canadian tire? uap/napa if you know this?

thanks for the replies

and a f*ck*n happy new year:devil: :devil: :devil:

K_Fulk
01-01-2004, 01:21 PM
I didn't say anything about sandblasting them. I meant to use chemical paint stripper. You could bead blast them but they will be rougher than if you just stripped them with the aircraft stripper.

Chef
01-01-2004, 01:43 PM
Originally posted by only_banshees
You are better off chrome plating it, polished covers suck for offroad bikes atc atv's etc.... thats for sport bikes
little things like throttle covers dont get exposed to your boots or as much dirt as the covers would see

My polished cases seemed to be fine all race season long...
http://pictureposter.allbrand.nu/pictures/chef/250++Banshee0001+cut.jpg

only_banshees
01-01-2004, 04:00 PM
Yeah but you still have to sit there and polish it to keep it good, if you have triple plated chrome and or thin nickel over that all you would need is simple green or windex.

Chef
01-01-2004, 04:24 PM
I actually havent really done any keep up on that bike, and the only thing that isnt as bright are the wheels.

JOEX
01-01-2004, 06:03 PM
Originally posted by Chef
My polished cases seemed to be fine all race season long...
Yeah, but flat trackers don't get dirty!:devil: :D

Chino
01-01-2004, 07:01 PM
Originally posted by JOEX
Yeah, but flat trackers don't get dirty!:devil: :D

I'll give that a double word :D

only_banshees
01-01-2004, 08:46 PM
ohh, so he forgot to add that,,, ha ha
otherwise you would be polishing those cases after every ride