PDA

View Full Version : 20" vs 22"

rossano
02-19-2002, 02:10 PM
advantage/disadvantage of each for my 400ex?

don't be weak! gimme feedback

CranMan
02-20-2002, 05:15 AM
Advantage of 22" rears is ground clearance and better mud traction if you get a mud type tire I guess.

Disadvantage of 22" rears is that I ithink they rob power. I have some 22" 6ply dirt devils on stock rims, but I changed to a 14t front sprocket to compensate, but I still think it takes alot more power to get those bigger wheels turning.

I switched back to the stock 20" rears, left the 14t front sprocket on, and I loved it. My ex will pull 2nd gear whelies without much effort, like it used to do only in 1st.

I can hardly get off the line in 1st and second and keep the front end down. More torque is cool...:D

Scott
02-20-2002, 06:15 AM
Sounds like you need to tune on your 400 cranman. I'm running a 300ex with 22's, stock gearing and a stock engine and I can wheelie in second gear all day long. Add the pipe, K&N, and jet and it will pull 3rd. There's no way a 400 with 22s shouldn't be able to wheelie second, they've got a lot more power than a 300.

But what you were saying with the tires I pretty much agree with. Most 22s weigh more than the 20s, so it does take more power to qet them moving. You've got an extra inch of ground clearance with the 22s. You've got less sidewall to flex with the 20s. 22s seem to be mainly for trail riding, 20s are probably the biggest you'll ever see on a MX track. 20s will also work fine for trail riding.

CranMan
02-20-2002, 10:07 AM
Scott, when I say my EX will now do 2nd gear wheelies, I mean with no effort at all. He!! my TRX125 will wheelie, if I jerk up the handlebars and goose it in 1st. What I mean is that by just gassing it quickly I can wheelie with no effort, 1st and 2nd. And I'm not talking about popping the clutch, in any gear. I'm talking pure torque or power bringing the front end right up. Buy the way my EX just happens to be dialed in perfectly, and I'm very happy with it these days. Hopefully the XR400 cam will make it even better!!:D