PDA

View Full Version : Way To Rich

WISHERTDF
02-19-2002, 01:36 PM
This weekend My fried and I put a 155 main jet on my 400ex and left the airbox cover off and it ran very rich. Does anyone have any recommendations on what I should try. I know this is a tired subject but if anyone could provide me with any info it would be greatly appreciated. Modifications on my 400ex are WB E-series slip on, K&N air filter and precharger and that is about all. I need more speed until I get my 416 kit (hopefully depnends on my other half)

chris29
02-19-2002, 01:45 PM
put the lid back on and it won't run so rich. You could cut holes in it and raise the neddle on the carb 2 clicks.

WISHERTDF
02-19-2002, 01:53 PM
thanks if i have time i will try that tonight.

Scott
02-19-2002, 02:05 PM
Wishertdf: I'm no master mechanic, but if you put the airbox lid back on, seems like that would be more restrictive than going without it. So I don't see how restricting the air flow leans it out. Unless I'm missing something, it should do the opposite and make you more rich.

It also depends on where in the RPM band you're running rich. If you're rich from half to full throttle, that's the main jet is too big. Drop down a size or two from that 155 and try again.

There was a couple good posts about the different carb ciruits a month or two ago. I'd try to find them if I were you.

beerock
02-19-2002, 02:09 PM
putting the air box lid back on will richen the motor, DONT DO IT

dont cut holes in the lid either, unless you plan on putting little air filters in it.

02-19-2002, 02:16 PM
Order a dynojet kit and it will fix all your jetting issues...and give better throttle response and crisper power delivery..

yellow_ho_01
02-20-2002, 06:38 AM
i would say we need to get your problem with the plug fixed first, cause if its not in all the way, you wont get a good reading anyways.(maybe start a post on what is involved in taking the head off so we can tap out the hole/or just get a manual)

CranMan
02-20-2002, 10:00 AM
Speaking of problems with the spark plug hole...when I got my EX (used) I think the plug was cross threaded. Of course it's hard to get to, but once I got the new plug started in the hole it was really stiff to screw in. I didnt want to try and get a tap in there, so I just greased up the threads on the new plug and slowly screwed it in. After taking the plug in and out about 10 times it got easier and easier, and now I think the threads are OK. Now I'm a mechanic, and I don't reccomend that you try to force a cross threaded plud into the hole, but it is possible to straighten out the threads sometimes without removing the head.

WISHERTDF
02-20-2002, 12:15 PM
that is exactly what mine is doing so, i called the local honda shop and they said that would tap it for $30 is that a good idea or not, they said they would get all of the little shreads out of the cylinder also.

CranMan
02-20-2002, 12:20 PM
For 30$ I'd let the shop do it...alot cheaper than messing up a head.

WISHERTDF
02-20-2002, 12:24 PM
that's what i was thinking and all i had to do was take everything apart , i.e. plastic, gas tank, etc. well actually yello_ho_01 hooked it up for me since he never really works lol. hey thanks for yellow_ho_01