PDA

View Full Version : (TIPS) For keeping water out of AIR BOXES

markk
12-31-2003, 12:34 AM
Does anyone have any tips about keeping the water out of your air boxes, If so id like to hear what u have!

300expower
12-31-2003, 07:30 AM
stop riding in water:huh

sériously you could take off that plug that is suposed to retain the water, i removed mine cause i ride in mud and water a lot, and it helped out very much

RED121572
12-31-2003, 11:00 AM
LOL...I like that guys reply.

Ive had luck with the following; keep the lid on and remove the drain tubes. Removing the drain tubes allows the water to drain out of the box.

Good luck and let us know if you come up with something different.

RED

markk
12-31-2003, 01:26 PM
I have taken a K&N precharger, and had it fabed with velcro, to fit over the 4 square holes i cut in my lid!
And about staying out of water, well u have to go threw the water somwhere when your racin!!!!!
Does anyone in hear use foam around ther airbox? If so what kinda foam works the best????

fmf400ex03
12-31-2003, 05:28 PM
i made a cover for my buddy i took the air box lid and kut the flat sport out and cut up some of thos dockers dress pants that dont stain or get water on them but it still breaths real nice and used velcrow and vasend it he has run it for like a year and hasnt had a problem and it runs sick

mcmike
01-01-2004, 07:55 AM
I just place my dockers around the carb, like pantyhose. Then after the race I remove them, and wear them out to eat.;)

Bill Fuller
01-01-2004, 08:10 AM
Best advise I have is to slow down at water crossings.You don't see Ballance or Borich flighing through the water.You may loose a couple of seconds to a rider that plows through the deep stuff but when you pass him while his scooter sounds like chit from all the water he took on wave bye bye to him/her with the added bonus dry hand.But that Docker idea does sound like a winner:D :devil: Removing the plug is a good idea as well.

bmw500hp
01-01-2004, 08:47 AM
Originally posted by mcmike
I just place my dockers around the carb, like pantyhose. Then after the race I remove the dockers and wear the pantyhose out to eat.;)

:eek:

BassGin3
01-04-2004, 06:37 PM
I just place my dockers around the carb, like pantyhose. Then after the race I remove them, and wear them out to eat.;)

hahaha!:D

hondarider2006
01-05-2004, 12:00 AM

:huh right........

:blah:

RIDER11X
01-05-2004, 12:32 AM
Originally posted by Bill Fuller
Best advise I have is to slow down at water crossings.You don't see Ballance or Borich flighing through the water.
:D Lately it seems as though Borich needs an air intake about as high as his helmet! He sure has been drowning that R in the deep water!:eek2:
I had alot of water problems last season since I opened my airbox lid. In XC racing, water is coming sooner or later. I came up with a homebrew design that works extremely well! I took a piece of plastic and rivited it to to airbox lid to make a tunnel over the holes to protect from side splash from the tires. It works really well, while allowing airflow from the front and back of the tunnel.:cool:

300exOH
01-05-2004, 07:06 AM
I just used aluminum sheet metal and an outerwares lid to make this.

Hotdog
01-05-2004, 07:19 AM
RIDER11X

can you post a pic of that design.

thanks

phebus
01-05-2004, 09:50 AM
Originally posted by 300exOH
I just used aluminum sheet metal and an outerwares lid to make this.
I think it is bolted on well enough!! :D

EvilJester400EX
01-05-2004, 11:21 AM
Originally posted by phebus
I think it is bolted on well enough!! :D

Too much added weight :blah:

300exOH
01-05-2004, 11:31 AM
It is a little heavy but not bad. I think it may have added 1 pound.:blah:

If I had thicker metal I would have needed all those bolts. It was a little overkill. Any fewer and I was afraid it wouldn't seal well enough. It works though.;) :p

zlam27
01-05-2004, 05:18 PM
just use rivets, they are lighter and will hold just fine.

zach

northeast400
01-05-2004, 05:31 PM
I used the same design and riveted it, I put a thin coat of rtv sealant on ther box and the metal

Braff1
01-05-2004, 05:51 PM
I didn't like the idea of leaving the drain plug open on the bottom, just another way for water to get in. So I used the drain plug from a 2000 Kawi Prairie. It is like a flutter valve design. when in the water the increase pressure will close the flap. Once out it will open up and let any water that did enter drain out.

Dan

Out_Sider
01-05-2004, 05:56 PM
Originally posted by Braff1
I didn't like the idea of leaving the drain plug open on the bottom, just another way for water to get in. So I used the drain plug from a 2000 Kawi Prairie. It is like a flutter valve design. when in the water the increase pressure will close the flap. Once out it will open up and let any water that did enter drain out.

Dan

good plan

hondarider2006
01-05-2004, 08:00 PM

Dan

That sounds like a good idea, I think I may do that, and also do that outerwears idea a few posts ago. Great ideas guys;)

RIDER11X
01-05-2004, 10:42 PM
Originally posted by Hotdog
RIDER11X

can you post a pic of that design.

thanks

I'll try to post it tomorrow to show you. I really like that idea from the 650 prairie! That's great in case water does come in! I'll have one of those!
Another tip is to put any holes in the lid over the space behind the filter in that open area. any water will hopefully hit the bottom of the airbox before being sucked through the filter, depending how hard your on the throttle.:devil:

Braff1
01-05-2004, 10:45 PM
The Kawi part number is 49006 for the rubber boot. the clamp is part number 92037. It is a tight fit, just spray some wd-40 on the boot to help slide it on.

Here is the link http://www.buykawasaki.com/Default.asp?strContentURL=site/VIVehicleInformation/VIChooseVehicle.asp?intCatalogID=2&intParts=1

Martin Blair
01-05-2004, 11:12 PM
i had a idea to make soemthign liek taht with a little ping pong ball, but i will jsut buy one, thanks for the info, are those outwers waterproff? i guess if your in that deep of water your snorkle is under 2

what about um racing aluminum air box with oputerwaers good idea for xc? bad idea?

RIDER11X
01-05-2004, 11:40 PM
Outerwears airbox lid covers are not good for keeping water out. I had a long discussion with the GM of Outerwears personally explaining the problems of this design. He says they are looking into making some changes with it.
I use the waterproof prefilter and really like that in addition to my homemade lid add on which I will try to post pics of on Tuesday.

PS. Outerwears was VERY good to deal with when I had problems with that product, and the GM asked me to call him to give him some insight on his product so they could improve it. Nice guy!:cool:

Martin Blair
01-06-2004, 09:40 AM
sp what aobut a aluminum um racing box for xc?

or a lid with a outerwears bolted on, i would think if you air box lid is under water you snorkle would be as well unless your wheeling

RIDER11X
01-06-2004, 09:59 AM
I have been in water almost up to the front point of the headlight shroud with a sealled airbox lid and snorkel and got no water in the airbox. This was by accident as I got swept into the deep part of a creek crossing. The 400 never ever missed a beat. That's why I ride red!:cool:

Jeffksf
01-06-2004, 10:26 AM

Dan

My old Mojave had those as well, good idea.

T.Hopp
01-06-2004, 03:00 PM
Do you think the factory fuel tank cover fasteners would be strong enough instead of using nuts and bolts. Easy on ,off and light also. There is a silicone spray normally found in camping stores that can be sprayed on a material to make it water resistant. On the lines of stotch guard. It still allows the material to breath while allowing water to bead and run off. Just a thought.

Martin Blair
01-06-2004, 04:48 PM
I am just goign to buy another air box lid or make like straps to hold down a outerwaer cover, taht way if its dry or a little wet i can run it, if its raining and muddy as hell i will cover it up, or do you think i could get away with the outerwaers on the airbox lid maybe 2 layers?

xc400ex
01-06-2004, 08:58 PM
I have been in water almost up to the front point of the headlight shroud with a sealled airbox lid and snorkel and got no water in the airbox. This was by accident as I got swept into the deep part of a creek crossing. The 400 never ever missed a beat. That's why I ride red!

when u said sealed airbox lid and snorkel do you mean you blocked the snorkel off completely?

Martin Blair
01-06-2004, 10:34 PM
I have a larger air intake tube, we wnet to autozon4 and a bought a waterproof car intake tube that is 3 in in diameter and put it in the airbox as a snorkle, MY bike is jetted fine right know but without the lid its perfect, so im thinkigna bout buyig another lid and putting a outwear in it and running it when its dry, and covering up when its wet, even if its a little rich thats fine. as logn as it ant smoking blakc or bogging

RIDER11X
01-06-2004, 10:45 PM
Originally posted by xc400ex
when u said sealed airbox lid and snorkel do you mean you blocked the snorkel off completely?

No it was in stock form. I was one knee on the seat to loft the nose a bit too but there is not much lofting you can do going downstream!:eek: I stated hard on the gas to keep it from backing up the pipe and to get outta there! It sounded like a jet ski I was told.:p
Here is a pic of my creation made from a small bucket!

RIDER11X
01-06-2004, 10:46 PM
Veiw of the front:

RIDER11X
01-06-2004, 10:48 PM
View of the back, The scuffs on the top is from rubbing the plastic. It is rivited on.

xc400ex
01-07-2004, 02:36 PM
have a larger air intake tube, we wnet to autozon4 and a bought a waterproof car intake tube that is 3 in in diameter and put it in the airbox as a snorkle, MY bike is jetted fine right know but without the lid its perfect, so im thinkigna bout buyig another lid and putting a outwear in it and running it when its dry, and covering up when its wet, even if its a little rich thats fine. as logn as it ant smoking blakc or bogging

tell us more about the waterproof car intake im interested in gettin one?

ramman
01-07-2004, 03:21 PM
what i use on mine is an outerwears snorkle filter and then i have the outerwears filter on my air box and i cut the top off my lid and use the lid to hold it in place instead of the crappy velcro they give you it falls right off after it gets wet . WORKS GREAT !!!!!!! ;)

Martin Blair
01-07-2004, 08:35 PM
well i will hve to find the box i forgot what model it is, but we bout it its a 3 inch wide tube thats 2 ft long. It it rubber and has a steel core we run these in our ranchers and have kept water in them 24 hours to make sure they are waterproof. Anyway we cut the whole in the airbox larger and used silicone to seal it up, and ran the snorkle the same as stock, works great use blakc silicone and to chekc if its sealed put a light in your airbox, close it up and see if any shines threw, i ahve drive thre water up to the front racnks on our ranchers and not one problem.

I will get pics but i cant post them so maybe i can email them to pappy or someone.

I also today bought another airbox lid and seal. I cut a 3X4 inch whole in it and made a aluminum plate out of some foot square piece and home depot, i cut the yellow foam off my stock filter and made a airbox vent, and splash gaurds, i can get picks of it as well.

xc400ex
01-07-2004, 08:58 PM
Im still not completely understanding how its waterproof and how you tested it for 24hours...have someone post some good pics of it id appreciate it.

Martin Blair
01-07-2004, 09:52 PM
we just filled the tube with water and lef tit sit overnight to test it

300exQuadracer
01-08-2004, 11:36 AM
snorkels like on huevos 4
haha nah but silicon works good and take out the bottom plug also where the snorkel comes out upfront you can make a little flap so water cant get in i did this on my R and not a drop of water has entered the airbox yet

RIDER11X
01-11-2004, 04:50 PM
The Kawi part number is 49006 for the rubber boot. the clamp is part number 92037. It is a tight fit, just spray some wd-40 on the boot to help slide it on.

Here is the link http://www.buykawasaki.com/Default.asp?strContentURL=site/VIVehicleInformation/VIChooseVehicle.asp?intCatalogID=2&intParts=1

This is a pinch tube then right? I did not see a butterfly in there.:confused:

Martin Blair
01-11-2004, 07:58 PM
who can i email pics to so that they can post em?

Martin Blair
01-15-2004, 09:50 PM
pics will hopefully be up soon

RIDER11X
01-17-2004, 12:16 AM
Originally posted by HN400exracer

#1:

RIDER11X
01-17-2004, 12:18 AM
Originally posted by HN400exracer

#2:

xc400ex
01-17-2004, 09:20 AM
Still though HOW is that snorkel waterproof? What makes it different than the stock snorkel besides material its made of?

mustang93
01-17-2004, 09:51 AM
I made an aluminum shroud like the bucket it works great it also prevents the water and mud from getting on top because the clearance is so close between the seat.

I also have the pictures but cant post them.

RIDER11X
01-17-2004, 10:09 AM
Originally posted by mustang93
I made an aluminum shroud like the bucket it works great it also prevents the water and mud from getting on top because the clearance is so close between the seat.

I also have the pictures but cant post them.

Go to http://pictureposter.allbrand.nu/images/allbrandnu_logo_big.png and host them, then post them here.:huh

01-17-2004, 11:44 AM
This little setup from GT thunder is pretty slick. The tubes total length is like 4 inches so it drops down another 3 inches in the airbox.

I had to go up 1 size on my main jet after installing it..:cool:

http://ricoracing.netfirms.com/images/airtube.jpg

300exOH
01-17-2004, 11:47 AM
It looks to me like the bottom of the seat would seal against the tube. Or is there a gap to let air in?

01-17-2004, 11:57 AM
Originally posted by 300exOH
It looks to me like the bottom of the seat would seal against the tube. Or is there a gap to let air in?

There's at least an inch of clearance on mine. I also have an aftermarket seat clamp that's billet and it makes the seat sit about 3/8 in higher off the subframe.

mustang93
01-17-2004, 12:39 PM
I took the pictures befoure I painted it so you could see the details
http://pictureposter.allbrand.nu/pictures/mustang/airbox1.jpg

mustang93
01-17-2004, 12:43 PM
http://pictureposter.allbrand.nu/pictures/mustang/air%20box%202.jpg

RIDER11X
01-17-2004, 12:58 PM
I got six 1" Uni Filters under mine. Do you get water under that?

mustang
01-17-2004, 01:04 PM
Thanks for trhe pic info Rider11,

This lid works realy well and keeps out all the mud and water.. best was that I got the aluminum free at work.