PDA

View Full Version : Attn. Race Gas Guru!!!

QuadJunkies
12-30-2003, 11:57 PM
I have a question on ruinning VP C12........ WE will now have to run it on the Predator and have never run Race gas before, I went and bought a 5 Gal. Can of it today. No one seems to know what Octane it runs straight out of the can????:confused: I need the ratios for 100 Octane and 105.... I want to say its 108 straight but Im not positive on that......Whats the best way get an accurate measurement??? Its needed for this wk ends race... Tina :)

hondafox440
12-31-2003, 12:04 AM
VP C12 has a MON octane of 108.

You should rejet to compensate for the increased octane, because from reading your signature the Predator doesn't need race gas, so leaving the current jetting could flatten out the throttle response.

This calculator will help you get the ratios. Just plug in the number of gallons you want to make, and plug in the octane rating of the pump gas you are using and the VP. Put any number for price.
http://www.cyberports.net/~mjr/fuel_blend.html

If you use 92 octane pump gas, mix it 1:1 for 100 octane, and 4:1 (race to pump) for 105.

QuadJunkies
12-31-2003, 12:09 AM
Originally posted by hondafox440

You should rejet to compensate for the increased octane, because from reading your signature the Predator doesn't need race gas, so leaving the current jetting could flatten out the throttle response.

This calculator will help you get the ratios. Just plug in the number of gallons you want to make, and plug in the octane rating of the pump gas you are using and the VP. Put any number for price.

If you use 92 octane pump gas, mix it 1:1 for 100 octane, and 4:1 (race to pump) for 105. I havnet updated my profile yet.........:D TRust me. its gonna need race fuel..........:devil:

QuadJunkies
12-31-2003, 12:12 AM
and thank you for the link! Tha will be helpful.;)

QuadJunkies
12-31-2003, 12:16 AM
the link worked, but it wouldnt calcualte for me, Maybe my Browser wont work for it??:confused:

QuadJunkies
12-31-2003, 01:00 AM
Bump....... any other links guys/gals?????:confused: I updated the profile a bit.. head work isnt done yet,(piston was shipped out today) but the Vortex is on and it is REQUIRED to run at minimum 100 Octane..... once the head work,piston and Cam(when HPD comes out with theres will be ready soon) the mods will require better fuel and .... It was VERY noticable running Premiuim this past wk end that it needed higher octane ..:)

wilkin250r
12-31-2003, 01:23 AM

If you use 92 octane pump gas, mix it 1:1 for 100 octane, and 4:1 (race to pump) for 105.

That's assuming that the resulting octane is simply the average of the two. I really don't think that is the case. I'll see if I can get more definitive answers for you...

Braff1
12-31-2003, 01:47 AM
Something you might want to look into is from what I have been told some race fuels will not blend with regular unleaded fuel.

wilkin250r
12-31-2003, 02:00 AM
VP C12 is a leaded racing fuel, and you are mixing it with an unleaded pump gas. The lead will effect the unleaded fuel beyond the simple dillution effect, and you'll get a higher octane that a simple average. Mixing 50% of 108 leaded with 50% of 92 unleaded will actually give you about 102, instead of 100.

MIKE400EX
12-31-2003, 07:19 AM
The benefit of just averaging the octane numbers, as that calculator does, is that you err on the conservative side. Some oxygenated fuels and some other "special blends" don't mix well with the additives that are blended in unleaded fuels that we buy at the pump. C12 mixes very well as it's pretty much a "straight" leaded fuel, consistency from lot to lot is also very good. It's a lot cheaper by the drum than in those little 5 gallon mini-drums.

Cody_300ex
12-31-2003, 08:06 AM
I dont know if this will help you any but we run that stuff stright in my 300ex but now if i try to run pump gas it will start running like chit. So now i have to run my 300 of of 100 octance race gas or Vp 108 Also the vp is going to run the coolest because it has a castor in it.:)

QuadJunkies
12-31-2003, 08:21 AM
so now that I know this gas CAN be mixed with premium fuel, Im guessing about...... 60/40 instead of 50/50 mix for a 100 Octane?? Does that sound about right??/ Also........ Mike400ex~~~ How much dones a drum ave in price???/ I pd. 37.00 for 5 Gal. GET THIS.......... Local Yami shop charges......67.00 for 5 GALLONS!!!!!!:eek: :grr: glad I found the other place outside of town.... SO, should I ust get a clear gas can for mixing, is that the best way to mix accuaratly????

dirtmomma
12-31-2003, 08:50 AM
Damn Girl we pay about 2.39 a gal. for our Av gas & 5.29 :eek: for the 76 110!!!
We decided to stick w/ the Av gas & it's doing great, we run it straight in mine & of course mixed in DJ's but we don't mix it w/ reg fuel. Do you have any local airports near you??? If so go there & see if they have it for sale. I think the Av gas is 100 oe 105 octane. Smells like propane going in but not too bad coming out LOL

QuadJunkies
12-31-2003, 08:57 AM
Originally posted by dirtmomma
Damn Girl we pay about 2.39 a gal. for our Av gas & 5.29 :eek: for the 76 110!!!
We decided to stick w/ the Av gas & it's doing great, we run it straight in mine & of course mixed in DJ's but we don't mix it w/ reg fuel. Do you have any local airports near you??? If so go there & see if they have it for sale. I think the Av gas is 100 oe 105 octane. Smells like propane going in but not too bad coming out LOL yeah and the way that Predator sucks in the fuel(its a total gas pig:o :p ) its going to make duning this summer SPENDY!!!!!! Ill ask them if AVI gas os Ok to run just to make sure .

MIKE400EX
12-31-2003, 09:14 AM
QJ,
Prices seem to vary a lot by location, but here (northeast) a 5 gal. "pail" goes for around $35 and a 55 gal drum is $240. That's $7 vs. $4 per gallon. Watch the avgas, it'll require a little different jetting and the octane rating is not equivalent. 100LL avgas won't support an atv engine that needs 100 octane race gas (maybe 96). It does run well if set up properly, smells good too. Don't know of anybody that's had a problem from running it in a gas atv engine. Good Luck!

dirtmomma
12-31-2003, 09:23 AM
Originally posted by QuadJunkies
yeah and the way that Predator sucks in the fuel(its a total gas pig:o :p ) its going to make duning this summer SPENDY!!!!!! Ill ask them if AVI gas os Ok to run just to make sure .

haha yeah we know all about gas pigs!!! our blaster just pisses it out the petcock & plus the 34mm carb doesn't help either:eek2: :macho WE got thru about 3 gallons a race night & thats only running oh I'd say 16 laps at the most!! Man I was just thinking about that figure......16 laps x 2 = 36 laps for $100 Damn that seems a little spendy huh LOL that doesn't include the fuel comsumption.........damn expensive racing, Ron says he's created a MONSTER LOL I love it hehehehehehe An expensive monster at that!!

Giz400ex
12-31-2003, 10:05 AM
check out www.vpracingfuels.com :D

Dune Surfer
12-31-2003, 10:19 AM
Hey Tina,

I would use a 50/50 mix of vp and 92. They will mix fine. Better to be a little higher on octane than low. If you run that pred on pump gas you will pre-detonate and blow your head gasket:eek2: I had to use race gas on my 426 and 50/50 worked great. I have read many post about Av gas and don't think it is good for quads. Try looking for vp racing fuel or FL racing fuel on the net and find a local dealer to buy 50 gal drums from. I could get 5 gal here for $22.00.dam that pred is going to be fast:D

QuadJunkies
01-01-2004, 01:03 AM
Originally posted by Dune Surfer
Hey Tina,

I would use a 50/50 mix of vp and 92. They will mix fine. Better to be a little higher on octane than low. If you run that pred on pump gas you will pre-detonate and blow your head gasket:eek2: I had to use race gas on my 426 and 50/50 worked great. I have read many post about Av gas and don't think it is good for quads. Try looking for vp racing fuel or FL racing fuel on the net and find a local dealer to buy 50 gal drums from. I could get 5 gal here for $22.00.dam that pred is going to be fast:D Yuppers...........:D :blah:

Guy400
01-01-2004, 06:35 AM
Tina, check out some of your local gas stations or the local drag strips. I've got several stations within 20 minutes (one within 1 mile) that sells TurboBlue from the pump. It's 110 octane race gas and it goes for $3.80/gallon last time I bought it. The nice thing about the stuff we have here is that it's a 110 unleaded so we don't have to worry about having hardened valve seats.

BIGRED400
01-01-2004, 06:38 AM
http://www.osbornauto.com/racing/blend.htm

Aceman
01-01-2004, 07:43 AM
Guy400, I believe they make engines with hardened seats now for use with unleaded fuel. The engines that used to run on leaded had to have hardened seats put in to run on modern unleaded gasoline.

Dirtmomma, last time I checked 16 laps x 2=32 laps;) so that quad is even more of a gas pig than you thought.:D

Quadjunkies I would just mix the fuel by averaging the octane ratios to give yourself the required octane rating. I run an 11:1 piston kit and mix 1 gallon of 76 110 with 4 gallons of 92 premium just to be on the safe side.

Guy400
01-01-2004, 09:25 AM
Aceman, you're right. I got it flip-flopped.

dirtmomma
01-01-2004, 09:36 AM
Originally posted by Aceman

Dirtmomma, last time I checked 16 laps x 2=32 laps;) so that quad is even more of a gas pig than you thought.:D

HAHAHA YEP thats what I'm sayin'!!!:) It pretty much just runs out especially when he forgets to turn it off:eek2: his Dad is always ******in about that LOL maybe I should get off of here & go pick up the damn new petcock we ordered :blah: we ordered a banshee one to drop MORE fuel hehe

jshtex
01-01-2004, 09:42 AM
Originally posted by Guy400
Tina, check out some of your local gas stations or the local drag strips. I've got several stations within 20 minutes (one within 1 mile) that sells TurboBlue from the pump. It's 110 octane race gas and it goes for $3.80/gallon last time I bought it. The nice thing about the stuff we have here is that it's a 110 unleaded so we don't have to worry about having hardened valve seats.

Guy400 we just did 11 dyno pulls on our 416 and part of that was comparing Sunoco TurboBlue with Sunoco Purple. The only difference in the two (that I am aware of) is that the purple is not oxygenated. The purple was much more consistent from a fuel mixture standpoint and the quad ran a little cooler with it also. The blue would not consistintly run the same air fuel mixture numbers at the same RPMs in back to back tests. The guy that owned the shop where we did the testing said he has seen the same thing in several bikes he has tested with it (TurboBlue). Now the blue did produce the highest peak horsepower of all the pulls but it was not by much (less than 1).

This was meant to be FYI, if the blue works good for you by all means keep using it. We used it for 5 or 6 XC races and had no problems.

norcalatver
01-01-2004, 10:38 AM
Quadjunkies, I would either give VP a call or email them. I have always found them to be very helpful. The last time I conversed with them VP did not recommend using C-12 in my 493 EX four stroke application. They recommended it for 2 stroke applications. Allen Knowles at CT Racing verified that same info for me when he built my kids 2 stroke engine recently. VP makes several different fuels for your 4 stroke application which will work great for you. It just depends on your wallet and how much a pony or two means to you!

QuadJunkies
01-01-2004, 10:51 AM
Originally posted by Guy400
Tina, check out some of your local gas stations or the local drag strips. I've got several stations within 20 minutes (one within 1 mile) that sells TurboBlue from the pump. It's 110 octane race gas and it goes for $3.80/gallon last time I bought it. The nice thing about the stuff we have here is that it's a 110 unleaded so we don't have to worry about having hardened valve seats. never heard of it, and no one around here seems to either....:( We have one place that sells it from the pump, but its HEAVY LEAD Base fror like 4.70 a gallon....
:(

QuadJunkies
01-01-2004, 10:55 AM
Originally posted by norcalatver
Quadjunkies, I would either give VP a call or email them. I have always found them to be very helpful. The last time I conversed with them VP did not recommend using C-12 in my 493 EX four stroke application. They recommended it for 2 stroke applications. Allen Knowles at CT Racing verified that same info for me when he built my kids 2 stroke engine recently. VP makes several different fuels for your 4 stroke application which will work great for you. It just depends on your wallet and how much a pony or two means to you! Thank you for that info! :) The racing Co. that is doing the Mods reccomend this with the set ups they do for better Timiing/Compression this is STONGLY reccomended by HPD and NicholasCycle they run this in there Drag Bikes.....Just wish it werent so Damn High priced.......:(

quadryda
01-01-2004, 02:28 PM

he has 12.5:1 he needs it :macho