PDA

View Full Version : a couple 250r questions.

bone705
12-30-2003, 06:56 PM
ok i just got an 86 R and all it has done to the motor is a weisco piston. air filter, and duncan exhaust. while its idleing i gotta kind ease the throttle to get the revs up. every once in awhile it sounds like its running out of gas. i pulled the main jet out and it was a 148. what size do u think it should be?

also every once in awhile the kickstater doesnt grab. is that the gear in there?

seven
12-30-2003, 07:57 PM
Sounds like your pilot jet or needle is fat.

deathman53
12-31-2003, 04:45 PM
thats very lean, It needs to run atleast a 165(stock carb), are you using the airbox lid, if no, then you need 170. what does your plug look like, it should be a cardboard color to be running right.

seven
12-31-2003, 04:49 PM
148 was what i was running at 2400ft with no air box lid and about the same mods. I had a perfect tan and it ran awsome.

deathman53
12-31-2003, 05:04 PM
also, the kicker has 2 gears that grab, there is one big gear and another small gear, when you kick it, it pushes the small gear to the big one and then that gear moves the one on the cluth basket, I would say the gears are worn, that was the problem with mine. what weigh oil are you using? 80wt will do that if its cold.

Narly R
12-31-2003, 06:20 PM
The needle is what you want to adjust from 0-1/4 throttle. I am not shure like if it is bogging if you go up or down. I would guess down, but not shure.

What does it do you you hold it whide open, (while driving) for like 3-5 seconds? If it seems to just want to rev way out then you are lean, but if it boggs, you are too fat. That is your main jet. I think that your pilot is for mid throttle, but not shure.

at what point (throttle wise, like 1/4, 1/2....) does it seem like it is running out of gas?

2004TRX450R
12-31-2003, 06:45 PM
Your needle controlls from 1/4-3/4 throttle. The pilot jet controlls 0-1/4 throttle and your main is from 3/4-WOT. It seems 145 or 148 was the stock size for my '86 but I don't recall for sure off the top of my head. If it won't take throttle very well then you probably need to richen up your pilot circuit. Start by screwing in the air screw a half a turn at a time. Or you can start the bike and get it up to operateing temperature and adjust the screw until you get the highest idle. If it has to be screwd in all the way then you need a bigger pilot jet. If it has to be screwed out a long way like 4+ turns out then you need a smaller pilot. Also can you give us more details on when it acts like it is running out of gas? Check your tank vent to make sure it is venting and the carb is getting fuel. Does it do it under certin throttle positions, after it runs for a couple of minutes, when hot, when cold, going up hill, down hill, accelerating hard, accelerateing easy?

bone705
12-31-2003, 10:59 PM
i had a guy that owns a atv repair shop adjust it in like 2 minutes. everything is good now.

250rpilot
12-31-2003, 11:46 PM
165 & 170 main? on a stock motor? WOW!! i have a 158 in mine with a esr pipe, delta vforce reedcage and 21cc coolhead, and open airbox/uni filter....still running a tad rich, just rich enough that it never gets hot on wide open runs

deathman53
01-01-2004, 07:50 PM
most people I know with r's use atleast 165's or bigger. We don't have stock motors though, mine is a 88 long rod/spacer plate, 38 a/s with a rich needle, v-force reeds, esr atc5 pipe, ported top end, cut head, no air box lid, k&n w/outerwear. Mine uses a 182 and is alittle rich. my 4-wheeler had a ported top end, 38 a/s, v-force reeds, some kind of paul turner pipe and was bored 120 over, the air box lid had holes in it that used a 178. I'm at sea level. it sounds like the pilot is lean, or both your pilot and needle. the person I bought my 4 wheeler from lived in the mountains of Pa, and he said that it was running rich on a 160, here it was running lean. Eleveation gotta have alot to do with it.