PDA

View Full Version : Sponsoring

Berry
12-30-2003, 06:21 PM
I sent alot of private messages today looking for sponsors. Out of the at least 15 messages I sent, maybe 3 replied. Even if they turn me down I would at least liked a reply! N/P tho. I also sent resumes out to ITP, ATV Scene, Rocky Mountain ATV, Works, Elka and alot more. I can tell there is no one able too sponsor on this site so I am going too ask for your advice. How is my resume? I will post it and I would like for you too tell me what too change and what not. Thank you!

Hey, my name is Josh Berry. I am 15 yr old and I am from Savannah Tennessee, about 2 hours away from Memphis. I am contacting you on behalf of a sponsor. I race a 2003 400ex, mods include: Front and Rear spacers, K&N Filter, jetted carb, no air box lid, 18' Turf Tamers on Douglas 160 wheels, MOOSE Handlebars, AC Propeg nerfs, Pro Design Kill switch, TMM PB Block off and other odd items. I am on a very low budget and need any help possible. I know alot of you are XC riders but I ride MX. I have my very own track which isnt very large. I have never won a race but the closest I have come is 2nd. I am running the arenaxross series right now and I stand 3rd in overall points, out of 28. If any of you guys would be glad enough too help me any way possible your help would greatly be appreciated. I do not have many pics but I will post what I do have. The pics you will see I do not have any gear on. At that time I didnt have gear but I got a full set of FOX for christmas. Please send me feedback even if you turn me down. Thanks! http://www.imagestation.com/picture...d8/fa4399a3.jpg

http://www.imagestation.com/picture...60/fa4399a5.jpg

http://www.imagestation.com/picture...37/fa594826.jpg

Guy400
12-30-2003, 06:28 PM
You should start out with local sponsorship. Go to area dealerships and hand out your resumes with them. Start out with them and as you get better and win more races you can move onto bigger sponsors. No offense, but, huge national companies like Rocky Mountain ATV aren't going to sponsor a 15 year old local rider who hasn't won anything yet. A lot of times places like car lots will give a rider a couple bucks to throw on a few stickers at the races.

Berry
12-30-2003, 06:30 PM
Ok, thanks!

AtvMxRider
12-30-2003, 06:33 PM
Originally posted by Guy400
You should start out with local sponsorship. Go to area dealerships and hand out your resumes with them. Start out with them and as you get better and win more races you can move onto bigger sponsors. No offense, but, huge national companies like Rocky Mountain ATV aren't going to sponsor a 15 year old local rider who hasn't won anything yet. A lot of times places like car lots will give a rider a couple bucks to throw on a few stickers at the races.

Guy is right. I got sponsers for my son from a Landscaping business, a trucking company and a automtive spring comapny.

2001400ex
12-30-2003, 06:33 PM
First of all you have to be 16 to ride a quad that is 90cc's or above I belive. How can a company sponsor you if you can't even ride a 400EX legally? I'm not saying it's not possible to get a sponorship, but I doubt you would get one from big named companies.

AtvMxRider
12-30-2003, 06:34 PM
Originally posted by 2001400ex
First of all you have to be 16 to ride a quad that is 90cc's or above I belive. How can a company sponsor you if you can't even ride a 400EX legally?

Good point.

450Racer
12-30-2003, 06:36 PM
First of all you have to be 16 to ride a quad that is 90cc's or above I belive. How can a company sponsor you if you can't even ride a 400EX legally? I'm not saying it's not possible to get a sponorship, but I doubt you would get one from big named companies.

dude i'm 14 and i'm going to have a 450R next month. i'm sponsored by a bunch of people. that's only a recomendation, that's not a law. my dad knows the guys at Honda so they're letting use get one, most of the tracks don't care if you're under. the other you just put in you're 16.

crap-banshee32
12-30-2003, 06:39 PM
u live in tennesee....thats your problem right there...hehe j/k.

yeah, like everyone else said, dont go for the big companies right away...try some smaller less known places.

good luck man.

P.S. if u are really good and race alot, SPONSORS will come to YOU.:)

2001400ex
12-30-2003, 06:39 PM
My brother is 11 and he has a Blaster, I'm not saying that it is impossible for anyone that is under the age of 16 to ride a quad more then 90cc's but I think that the big named companies would not support under-age riding. I know if I owned a big company I wouldn't sponsor someone until they were at least 16. Anyway have fun when you get your 450R post some info and pics on it and let everyone know what you think of it.

Berry
12-30-2003, 06:49 PM
Thanks. AtvMxRider, how do they sponsor your son? Pay entry fee and things like that? I have alot of places around here that will probally help me. And you other guys, I have a fourtrax 90 when i was 6 yrs old. I rode the heck out of it. Then I got a 250ex and it got old so I moved too the 400. Most tracks dont care about your age, as long as you keep the money comin they will let things slip.

cdalejef
12-30-2003, 06:56 PM
Here is a little hint....PM's and emails are not a very profesional way to send a resume. Companies want to see some effort from you put into your resume and mailed to them.

Another problem is your 15 and not allowed to race a full size quad in AMA sanctioned events.

400exBro
12-30-2003, 07:29 PM
ya i send all my resumes out by mail and make it look like you want a job, a professional resume with some pictures of your quad and some of you riding...
i have done that and have good luck by doing so, elka and Fibe industries and knoop excavating are backing me up this year...
thanks guys.

AtvMxRider
12-30-2003, 07:30 PM
Originally posted by Berry
Thanks. AtvMxRider, how do they sponsor your son? Pay entry fee and things like that?

We haven't worked out the details yet. Ihave to get with them after the new year and figure it out.

450Racer
12-31-2003, 12:44 AM
Originally posted by Berry
I have alot of places around here that will probally help me. And you other guys, I have a fourtrax 90 when i was 6 yrs old. I rode the heck out of it. Then I got a 250ex and it got old so I moved too the 400. Most tracks dont care about your age, as long as you keep the money comin they will let things slip.

exactly...i don't think they really care...

i can't wait to get the 450R. Honda dealer says Jan31st! i'll make sure to write up an article on it and show lots of pics...maybe i'll put some helmet cam views on here:D

Silverfox@C&DRacing
12-31-2003, 09:13 AM
Originally posted by Jeff@QuadShop
Here is a little hint....PM's and emails are not a very profesional way to send a resume. Companies want to see some effort from you put into your resume and mailed to them.

Another problem is your 15 and not allowed to race a full size quad in AMA sanctioned events.

I agree with that statement.
I cringe when I get PM's and emails asking for sponsorships.

2001400ex
12-31-2003, 09:19 AM
For those of you that do have sponsorships, do you just get a certain percent off of what you purchase from them? They don't send you their products for free, right? I'm thinking about entering in some amateur racing next season. Then if I can compete (which I think I can, I can beat guys who have been riding 15 years more then me) against the others at the track and see myself doing well I am going to send out some resumes. I just really want to know more about the sponsorships basically.

cdalejef
12-31-2003, 09:22 AM
It just depends on the level and experience of rider that determines what you receive. It is very hard to get free stuff but it can be done with years of experience, lots of promoting and the results to back it up.

2001400ex
12-31-2003, 09:23 AM
Thanks for the info Jeff. I've been thinking about entering since the end of last season. I'm just worried I'll end up coming in last, ya know that's not good for the ego, lol:D

Silverfox@C&DRacing
12-31-2003, 09:48 AM
Thanks for the info Jeff. I've been thinking about entering since the end of last season. I'm just worried I'll end up coming in last, ya know that's not good for the ego, lol:D

Just remember you have to start racing sometime, you may come in last but you will improve over time and the main thing is that you will be having fun even though you don't win them all..

Berry
12-31-2003, 09:53 AM
Yes, you learn from your mistakes. Racing actually makes you faster. You push yourself too your limits trying too win, and then you say hey I can really do it. lol

2001400ex
12-31-2003, 09:55 AM
Yep, I'll see next season how I do. Hopefully I place in the top 3, I think I would chit myself from being so happy.:D

ridered03
12-31-2003, 10:06 AM
go to danacreechracing.com he has a copy of his resume on there just use that as a guide line, instead of a letter like form it has to be in a resume form ( you will see it on his web site) I did that last year when i was only 15 riding a 400ex and ended up with ELKA, NACS RACING, AC RACING, LONE STAR RACING, MAIER PLASTICS, AND LRD performance. those are all the sponsers i had for 2003. as far as how much support they give you it depends on the company, like LSR gave me 10% off when maier gave me 40% off, and nacs gives dealer prices.