PDA

View Full Version : Removing snapped case saver bolt?

hondafox440
12-30-2003, 06:01 AM
What kind of drills/drill bits do you use to remove snapped case saver bolts? I have tried a bunch of different bits from standard, to hardened and nothing seems to work. I've tried the drill on slow, and on fast. Any ideas on how I can drill the bolt either out completely and helicoil the hole, or drill the bolt out in the center and get an easy out in there?

I tried doing a search, but I couldn't find what I was looking for.

hollywood43
12-30-2003, 07:08 AM
I snapped a clutch cover bolt in my case once and went to the local hardware store to look for something to use. I found a screw extractor set that worked great. It was in a black case and had 4 bits in it. First you drill a hole in the center of the broken bolt. Then you put the special drill bit in the drill and run it backwards. It grabbed the broken bolt and took it right out. Saved me a huge headache. The only downside was that the kit was expensive (~$40). I'm sure that I'll use it again sometime down the road.:rolleyes:

hondafox440
12-30-2003, 08:02 AM
I already own a screw extractor kit (called an Easy Out). My problem is finding what drill bit to use to drill the hole into the snapped screw, because no bit I tried worked. It just spun, it didn't dig into the bolt.

Derrick D
12-30-2003, 08:08 AM
I have a set from snap on that comes with a left hand drill bit for each extractor, & they work great.

UglyMotha™
12-30-2003, 08:12 AM
Originally posted by hondafox440
I already own a screw extractor kit (called an Easy Out). My problem is finding what drill bit to use to drill the hole into the snapped screw, because no bit I tried worked. It just spun, it didn't dig into the bolt.

flip your drill to forward instead of reverse, the flutes should be sprialing towards you when you look at the bit in motion :o

hondafox440
12-30-2003, 01:45 PM
I had the drill going the right direction..

Does anyone know what bit to use to drill a pilot hole for the Easy Out? Should I try masonry bits?

Doibugu2
12-30-2003, 01:48 PM
what size bit are you using? Masonary bits won't work, you need a high strength metal bit.

Drill a small pilot hole with a very small bit, then come back with the right size bit for the ez out.

if you can't drill a whole into the bit either your a wuss or your drill bit sucks.

UglyMotha™
12-30-2003, 01:56 PM
I had the drill going the right direction..

Does anyone know what bit to use to drill a pilot hole for the Easy Out? Should I try masonry bits?

ok after that statement i'm goin to advise you to put down any power tools you are holding and seek professional help, i really don't want to see you get hurt

there a reason they call them masonary bits, that because there for drilling concrete and stone there not goin to drill metal but if you feel the need to try go for it, if you seriously have the drill goin in the right direction then everyone of your drill bits is fried probably from using them for masonary purposes (just guess) so your best bet would be to replace, and also how exactly do you expect us to tell you what size hole to drill when we don't even know what size ez out your using, my best advice to you is to find sombody that know what there doing and get them to show you how to do it

redrunner
12-30-2003, 02:19 PM
You can got to a local machine shop tooling supply place get what you call a "center drill" it is a short stubby drill with 2 ends. They are sold in numeric sizes, get several of each say a #2/3/4. If you have any type of dimple in the broke off piece start there. If not you can try to start a dent with a good center punch. Once the tip of the center drill gets digging in keep the drill straight, the tips break off pretty easy then you have to deal with digging it out, not easy. Once you get a starter hole going use the drill size recommended for the size easy out you got, use some cutting oil or WD to keep the drill cool and remove chips. Cakewalk from there.

hondafox440
12-30-2003, 03:54 PM
Originally posted by redrunner
You can got to a local machine shop tooling supply place get what you call a "center drill" it is a short stubby drill with 2 ends. They are sold in numeric sizes, get several of each say a #2/3/4. If you have any type of dimple in the broke off piece start there. If not you can try to start a dent with a good center punch. Once the tip of the center drill gets digging in keep the drill straight, the tips break off pretty easy then you have to deal with digging it out, not easy. Once you get a starter hole going use the drill size recommended for the size easy out you got, use some cutting oil or WD to keep the drill cool and remove chips. Cakewalk from there.

Thanks, I'll check into that.

And Ugly, you aren't funny. Sorry I'm not a drill bit expert, I just figured masonry bits had a hardened steel tip (since concrete IS harder than wood) and were tougher bits.

The bolt is an 8mm head, and a 6mm shaft (I think, it is the same diameter as all of the 8mm bolts on the 400 - clutch cover, head cover, etc)

I'm not asking for instructions on how to use a drill or an Easy Out. I know how to use them. All I asked is for the type of drill bit I need to use in order to drill into the snapped bolt because none of the ones I have tried worked - they just won't grab into the bolt.

Doibugu2
12-30-2003, 03:58 PM
Thanks, I'll check into that.

And Ugly, you aren't funny. Sorry I'm not a drill bit expert, I just figured masonry bits had a hardened steel tip (since concrete IS harder than wood) and were tougher bits.

The bolt is an 8mm head, and a 6mm shaft (I think, it is the same diameter as all of the 8mm bolts on the 400 - clutch cover, head cover, etc)

I'm not asking for instructions on how to use a drill or an Easy Out. I know how to use them. All I asked is for the type of drill bit I need to use in order to drill into the snapped bolt because none of the ones I have tried worked - they just won't grab into the bolt.

That's why ugly is telling you to stop. Obviously wood is softer than concrete. But your drilling into metel. So you need a metal bit

hondafox440
12-30-2003, 04:02 PM
OK, but there is no reason for him to patronize me.

Is there a certain name for these drill bits that are designed to drill into metal? Or will the package say "for use with metal". All I want to know is what drill bit (not size, just the type) I need to buy.

Doibugu2
12-30-2003, 04:13 PM
they should say right on the outside of the package.

swampfoxsc
12-30-2003, 11:52 PM
hondafox440, don't let these clowns get to you. I'm not seeing alot of useful information coming from their posts.

You need a carbide bit and even then it won't be easy to drill into that bolt. Bolts are very hard and most metal cutting bits won't do much more than scratch them. Take your time and cool the bit often.

:)

hondafox440
12-30-2003, 11:57 PM
Originally posted by swampfoxsc
hondafox440, don't let these clowns get to you. I'm not seeing alot of useful information coming from their posts.

You need a carbide bit and even then it won't be easy to drill into that bolt. Bolts are very hard and most metal cutting bits won't do much more than scratch them. Take your time and cool the bit often.

:)

Thanks man. I think I tried a carbide tipped bit, not sure though. The bolt has been snapped for months, and I tried fixing it when it first happened but gave up and zip tied the case saver's top mount on and bolted the bottom one in. The zip tie eventually broke so I figured this time I should fix it correctly :o .

hollywood43
12-31-2003, 09:15 AM
Hi again. Just for the record, an EZ-out is a trademarked brand name. A screw extractor is a generic name used to describe the tool that I was referring to. My actual set is called a Drill-Out and it works very well but it's pricey. You definitely want to get that fixed correctly because one bolt and a zip tie aren't going to save your cases from cracking if that chain goes awol. Make sure that you soak that broken bolt with WD-40 for a day or so. Give it time to penetrate because that will only help in the long run. My Drill-Out's don't require a pre-drilled hole in the bolt. However, your brand might be different. For my 6mm bolt I used the 1/4" drill out and used a tap on the center of the bolt. It took a while to grab but it did back out the bolt. If yours has been in there for a while then it'll obviously be more difficult. I've had to completely drill bolts out of cases before and I used my DeWalt drill bit set. They have a tapered point, which makes them ideal for grabbing a tap point in the center of the broken bolt. You can buy them at any Home Depot store. One thing to remember is make sure that you're using a variable speed drill because you don't want to be torquing on it too much when backing out that bolt. Good luck and remember to wear safety glasses just in case your bit snaps.

seatec
12-31-2003, 09:20 AM
Originally posted by hollywood43
Hi again. Just for the record, an EZ-out is a trademarked brand name. A screw extractor is a generic name used to describe the tool that I was referring to. My actual set is called a Drill-Out and it works very well but it's pricey. You definitely want to get that fixed correctly because one bolt and a zip tie aren't going to save your cases from cracking if that chain goes awol. Make sure that you soak that broken bolt with WD-40 for a day or so. Give it time to penetrate because that will only help in the long run. My Drill-Out's don't require a pre-drilled hole in the bolt. However, your brand might be different. For my 6mm bolt I used the 1/4" drill out and used a tap on the center of the bolt. It took a while to grab but it did back out the bolt. If yours has been in there for a while then it'll obviously be more difficult. I've had to completely drill bolts out of cases before and I used my DeWalt drill bit set. They have a tapered point, which makes them ideal for grabbing a tap point in the center of the broken bolt. You can buy them at any Home Depot store. One thing to remember is make sure that you're using a variable speed drill because you don't want to be torquing on it too much when backing out that bolt. Good luck and remember to wear safety glasses just in case your bit snaps.

i agree on using the de walt drill bit. that little center bit is awesome but i'd still try to center punch the bolt if you can.

swampfoxsc
12-31-2003, 04:07 PM
Also, if there isn't a flat spot to start the bit and a center punch won't mark it correctly, you can use a Dremel tool with a small grinding bit and grind a small flat spot. I my experience, bolts break at an angle and starting the bit is the hardest part.

K_Fulk
12-31-2003, 04:26 PM
Thanks man. I think I tried a carbide tipped bit, not sure though. The bolt has been snapped for months, and I tried fixing it when it first happened but gave up and zip tied the case saver's top mount on and bolted the bottom one in. The zip tie eventually broke so I figured this time I should fix it correctly :o .

Be sure you dont brake the easy out in it, think drilling the bolt is hard try drilling in to a broke easy out. Dont' ask how i know?