PDA

View Full Version : Look what we came home to see!!

Foxyangel0425
12-29-2003, 07:58 PM
We came home to this.....

http://www.wkyc.com/news/news_fullstory.asp?id=14078

http://www.wkyc.com/galleries/galleries_fullstory.asp?id=14085

pretty scary :eek2: :eek2: and its still going!!

416mx
12-29-2003, 08:02 PM
Bummer Hope everyone is all right.:( :( :(

crap-banshee32
12-29-2003, 08:02 PM
where in ohio do u live?....i think thats right by me

Ohio R
12-29-2003, 08:06 PM
Nick its in Garfield hts. Your safe, unless Perry decides to melt down..

Jeffksf
12-29-2003, 08:16 PM
I can see the explosions reflecting off the clouds from my back porch! It is quite a sight. Looks like a battle is going on.
FYI: I'm in Seven Hills

crap-banshee32
12-29-2003, 08:21 PM
ohio R.....who are u? do u know me?
hmmm

nick

and im hoping the nuke plant doesnt melt down any time soon:)

250exen
12-29-2003, 09:16 PM
Originally posted by crap-banshee32
and im hoping the nuke plant doesnt melt down any time soon:)

yea, that would suck the big one wouldnt it? we'd all be dead faster then you could say 450r! ahah, and them pills they gave us wont help either:rolleyes:

anyway, yea, i herd about it too, anyone know how long its been burning?

tj

gibson400ex
12-29-2003, 09:18 PM
that sucks:(

gibson400ex
12-29-2003, 09:21 PM
we had a fire 10 minutes from our house that killed 6 firefighters.....

gibson400ex
12-29-2003, 09:22 PM
it was really sad cuz my moms friend sister was married to one of them who died..............:(

K_Fulk
12-29-2003, 09:25 PM
Originally posted by 250exen

tj

Its been going on since this afternoom I heard them say something about staying away from that area on 100.7 was saying to stay away from that area on peoples way home from work.

batgeek
12-29-2003, 09:36 PM
yeah i seen that on CNN...scary stuff there.

magnesium isn't easy to put out. not to mention all the other chemicals that are on the site.

Foxyangel0425
12-29-2003, 09:50 PM
Originally posted by 250exen
yea, that would suck the big one wouldnt it? we'd all be dead faster then you could say 450r! ahah, and them pills they gave us wont help either:rolleyes:

tj

Since 3:30 this afternoon its been burning, the fireman can't use water because it will make it worse. Thank goodness there was no injuries or deaths, but they did evacuate everyone that was near by. They say it might burn another 24 hrs. From what our local news channels were saying this isn't the first time the plant went up in flames and its had many violation codes aganst them.

We got some of our own video and pictures, we drove right by it. There was a explosion when we were sitting at a traffic light and it just shook our truck. Its a scary thing.....and we just hope and pray that it goes out soon and everyone is safe!

crap-banshee32
12-29-2003, 09:54 PM
hmmm kinda scary...

Foxyangel0425
12-30-2003, 05:44 AM
the latest video :eek2: (7:43 am est)

http://www.cleveland.com/wkyc/wkyc_clip.ssf?zzDoNotCount?/wkyc/wkyc/031229plantfire.frame

hondafox440
12-30-2003, 05:47 AM
As long as none of your homes are in danger, thats a pretty cool site..

UglyMotha™
12-30-2003, 07:02 AM
it did seem a little warmer last night :o

JTRtrx250r
12-30-2003, 08:36 AM
yeah that stuff is nasty and burns white hot...wonder how many fire fighters are going to have eye problems after starring at that

crap-banshee32
12-30-2003, 06:48 PM
yeah....and if u try to put magnesium out with water.....some freaky chemical reaction happens and it becomes hydrogen..and when that hits the fire....u get a big BOOMY..

Foxyangel0425
12-30-2003, 06:52 PM
Update:

Garfield Heights fire under control
POSTED: Tuesday, December 30, 2003 10:04:54 AM
UPDATED: Tuesday, December 30, 2003 7:53:30 PM
GARFIELD HEIGHTS -- The massive plant fire at Garfield Alloys in Garfield Heights is under control, but those living nearby are returning to sharttered homes.

Video: Tons of damage, cause still unknown

The ball of flames started at 3:30 p.m. on Monday and intensified through the night. The worst explosions came around 2 a.m., shattering windows on homes that were blocks away.

The fire forced 40 people living nearby to evacuate their homes. People were allowed to come home around noon on Tuesday, about 20 hours after the fire first began.

Tackling the massive fire was a huge task for firefighters, but they knew they were up against a magnesium fire by the color of the smoke and the brilliant white flame that hurts the eyes when it's looked at.

Firefighters couldn't fight the fire with water because water can make magnesium fires worse. Monday night, Garfield Alloys trucked in a semi load of a special dry compound, factory flux, to smother the magnesium. It's up to the company to have that firefighting material on hand and it's expensive.

Even then, you have to be close enough to the fire to layer two inches worth of the compound over it. The fire was too big to smother.

They tried to accelerate the burning process by dumping water on a storage area, but when the explosions got too strong, they backed off.

"We decided, well, let's get back to the other plan," said Garfield Heights fire chief Tony Collova. "That was just to protect exposures. It will take longer this way, but we said why take a chance and flare it up."

All firefighters could do was fall back and water down neighboring buildings in order to prevent them from catching fire. Six other fire departments helped Garfield Heights battle the blaze.

The explosions Monday night were the strongest as the rain triggered blast after blast.

"The floorboards was shaking and I have a mirror and that thing was just shaking back and forth," said resident Albert Peckman.

Many neighbors were forced to spend the night in shelters when the police told them to move to safety. Going home was a heartbreaker for many people, especially for those who live in the Garfield Club Aparments.

"What are we going to do without heat, without phone and without knowing what caused this?" asked resident Sunday Malcolm. "I don't feel safe right now."

Three of the businesses across the street from Garfield Alloys were destroyed, but some were spared. Pete Pavlik owns Complete Corvette. He estimates he has a million dollars worth of cars and tools that were saved by firefighters.

"They saved my building and the building next door," said Pavlik. "I'm a happy guy."

The fire was still smouldering Tuesday night, but it's expected to burn itself out.

For anyone who breathed in the smoke, the greatest health risk has now passed. Local health officials say those standing nearby were at the highest risk. They could have been hurt if their respiratory system was already weak from somthing like asthma or emphysema.

The company says that it has maintained the highest safety standards and complied with all regulations.

The fire was centered in a storage warehouse, not the main factory. There's still no estimates of how much the damage will cost.

Foxyangel0425
12-30-2003, 06:53 PM
Here is some video about the homes etc......

http://www.cleveland.com/wkyc/wkyc_clip.ssf?zzDoNotCount?/wkyc/wkyc/031230fire.frame

We live about a city away and we felt all the explosions it shook our windows and house. The news said that if we feel the blast to get out in cause of glass breaking etc. We of course didn't go any where because it was 3 in the morning by the time we got some sleep.....We are just pretty tired and just happy that noone got hurt but sad that people are out of their homes.