PDA

View Full Version : Need some help choosing

2001400ex
12-29-2003, 06:20 PM
Sorry if I've posted this in the wrong forum but I think that it belongs here becuase of the fact that I'm looking for something to get for my 400 that will give it more power. Anyway...

I've got about $210 and I'm looking to get something for my 400 that will give it more power, I already have a HMF Slip on, and have Holeshots, I was looking at front shocks and rear shocks for the 400 on denniskirk but I don't have the $500 to get them. I was looking at suspension mods because alot of you guys here say that the first thing to do is to go for the suspension, but for the time being I'm looking for some more power. I was looking all through denniskirk and I really don't know what to choose, because there are so many things to get. The two things that interested me the most were the Stage 1 power upgrade kit. I think it's like $130 or something, but I don't know how much power that will give me, I know it gives you a hotcams cam, and a new air filter and a few other things. I was looking at bigger sized carbs. and wasn't really sure how much power they would give me?

Also, while I was looking through denniskirk I saw this (http://www.denniskirk.com/jsp/product_catalog/Product.jsp?skuId=04460&store=Main&productId=p04460&catId=&leafCatId=) lowering kit, but I do alot of trail riding, would I be better off without this kit because of the fact that I will be hitting rocks and such? I need some opinions on what to get to make my 400 faster, any ideas would be appreciated, thanks.

bone705
12-29-2003, 06:23 PM
well if u had $210 then a good power upgrade would be a cam and a hi-comp piston. this will pretty much be right around $200. that lowering kit is only for flat track use. it would not be good for trail riding.

redrunner
12-29-2003, 07:24 PM
I just got done doing some suspension upgrades (shocks) and it is like night and day. Cornering and landing the jumps are completely different and gives you a little more confidence to jump on it coming out of those situations. I would look into some front shocks set up for your ride and if you upgrade the front do the back next. your 400 rear is a good shock to begin with but I am telling you you wont believe the difference.

2001400ex
12-29-2003, 07:46 PM
Thanks for the info, bone and redrunner.;)

RobRacing
12-29-2003, 08:36 PM
You should check out some other companies besides dennis kirk also. Here are a few sites: www.duncanracing.com www.kankatv.com www.sparksracing.com, and there are many others. Look at www.rockymountainatv.com also they have some of the lowest prices out there. I think you should save up for the suspension. Your pipe should be good for now suspension is one of the keys to going fast. Hope that helps you.

2001400ex
12-29-2003, 09:12 PM
Thanks for the sites Rob, I'll defenitely check them out. I'm still keeping the suspension in mind. Any more information would be appreciated.:devil:

Chanman420q
12-29-2003, 09:27 PM
definitly higher compression piston and the cam shaft, u can get a hot cams stage 2 off ebay dirt cheap

Toadz400
12-29-2003, 09:42 PM
Don't get stuff at Dennis Kirk, try ordering stuff from like Moto-Man or other online companies...Dennis Kirk is overpriced and from my experience, their service isn't exactly what you'd call good...

2001400ex, where are you from? I'm from Star Prairie, Wisconsin, in the mid-west.

2001400ex
12-29-2003, 09:45 PM
Is there a website for moto-man? I live in NJ Toadz.

redrunner
12-30-2003, 04:56 PM
Yeah that is another thing go to Ebay and look up suspension stuff, all kinds of deals and have Quadshop or Santo rebuild for you!

2001400ex
12-30-2003, 04:59 PM
Thanks for the info, I didn't even think of looking at ebay.