PDA

View Full Version : sparks key with new piston question

Ex_Rider43
12-29-2003, 01:06 PM
I have the sparks key in my 400 and I bought a 406 wiseco piston 11:1 compression....

now I want to know if it works together because I heard different stories about the key not working with 11:1 compresion ect..

whats the real deal I want the truth

thanks

cals400ex
12-29-2003, 01:16 PM
they will work fine together, but the bike may just run a little hotter. i would see how it is and if it gives you problems, take it out and put the stock key in.

UglyMotha™
12-29-2003, 01:18 PM
now i'm sure you goin to get alot of yahoos that reply to this thread saying you can't do it and your motor will burn up and so on the list of excuses go on and on but what all these people lack is experience i've run the key with 11:1 for over a season now and my motor has only blown up 5 times i consider that pretty good, no seriously my motor is fine, but one thing you need to take into consideration is if you do go with the key and H.C piston you'll need to run a mix of race fuel or yes you will burn a hole right thru the top of the piston :o

Ex_Rider43
12-29-2003, 01:23 PM
hmmm I dont like the fact of mixing the race gas because im going to trail ride it this winter....

uglymotha how about mixing some pump gas with octane booster??? on the bottle it says 7+ octane...

if it doesnt work i will just remove it.

UglyMotha™
12-29-2003, 01:27 PM
Originally posted by ex_rider52
hmmm I dont like the fact of mixing the race gas because im going to trail ride it this winter....

uglymotha how about mixing some pump gas with octane booster??? on the bottle it says 7+ octane...

if it doesnt work i will just remove it.

octane booster is not a replacement for race fuel octane boost will actally generate more heat, so it would basically be like holding a match under a sheet of notebook paper

and if you can mix octane booster and pump then you can mix race and pump just as easy and pretty much for the same price

Ex_Rider43
12-29-2003, 01:30 PM
well I guess I will need to remove the sparks key..??? so running pump gas with only this piston will be ok??

UglyMotha™
12-29-2003, 01:40 PM
it would be in your best intrest cause running the key with high compression is not recommened cause it generates alot of heat and you'll actually burn a hole right thru the top of the piston no joke, my first two tanks of gas after i built my motor was ran on 92 pump and my motor was running extremely hot so i starting mixing my gas 3parts race to 2 part pump and now my motor is running cooler than my brothers stock bike the choice is yours i don't see why you can't do the race fuel if you can do octane booster in my oppinion the performance gain is worth the effort of getting the race fuel

as for running race fuel with the piston its hard to say you'll just have to wait until you fire it up 11:1 is the boderline between needing race fuel and pump if it knocks then you'll need race fuel, but if it doesn't then you'll be fine, mine was knocking a little when it got warmed up

Ex_Rider43
12-29-2003, 01:50 PM
the main reason I cant mix race gas is because im going to do some long trail rides this winter so I cant bring a gallon of race gas with me.. I hope it wont knock because I will remove the key and sell it to one of my friends....

if it knock a littlt then I will add octane booster I think just to bump the octane a bit.

12-29-2003, 02:05 PM
Originally posted by ex_rider52
the main reason I cant mix race gas is because im going to do some long trail rides this winter so I cant bring a gallon of race gas with me.. I hope it wont knock because I will remove the key and sell it to one of my friends....

if it knock a littlt then I will add octane booster I think just to bump the octane a bit.

Send the piston back and get a 10.8:1 and you can run pump gas in it till the cows come home. end of story :blah:

UglyMotha™
12-29-2003, 02:05 PM
"bobby buscha, octane booster is for the DEVIL!"

i'm still lost with your situation here, your just not making sense here, so you trail ride and you can't take a gallon of race gas with you soooooo, are you goning to run your quad back on what..... water for the crick, if you can carry a gallon of pump fuel then why exactly can't you carry a gallon of race fuel, also, i only race once in a blue moon all i ever do is trail ride and race fuel is far from a problem :huh oh well, run your octane booster

Ex_Rider43
12-29-2003, 04:35 PM
I cant bring race gas with me... when I need gas I just go to the gas station thats why your confused!!

so rico with a 10:1 piston can I keep the sparks key??

uglymotha, with the 11:1 without the key and running with 93 pump gas is there a lot of chance of knocking???

Bad Habit
12-29-2003, 06:50 PM
Don't be cutting corners with octane, comp ratios, etc. You'll be sorry in the long run.
It's gonna depend on what performance gain you want. There will be a noticable difference between 11:1/adv key/race gas over 10.8:1/stock key/pump gas. I'd rather take the 11:1 combo. It will run alot better and slightly cooler than the 10.8:1 combo. Whatever your reason is, if you have to run pump gas take the adv key out. Also, a 9Z plug will help in keeping the top of the piston a tad bit cooler with the higher than stock compression.

Ex_Rider43
12-29-2003, 08:13 PM
well I got the 10:1 piston ordered I should receive it tomorrow... so what do I have to do with the key?? forget about race gas also

UglyMotha™
12-30-2003, 06:46 AM
then forget about the key :o

Ex_Rider43
12-30-2003, 09:04 AM
thanks uglymotha I will put the stock key back on.

hondaexryda
01-02-2004, 12:16 PM
sparks keys dont do good with high compression pistons, the timing doesnt do that good...

FFW
01-02-2004, 07:35 PM
Originally posted by hondaexryda
sparks keys dont do good with high compression pistons, the timing doesnt do that good...

Whoops, looks like someone didn't read the whole thread. Ok UglyMotha™ :) go get em!

I'm running 92 octane in my 440 with no problems. It's a 10...something:1 set up, Wiseco. Too much data lately. I think my 3 month old daughter has sucked the life out of my brain...

I found I can run 87 in the winter to combat the problematic starting issues the EX's are known for.

:blah:

UglyMotha™
01-05-2004, 07:24 AM
Originally posted by hondaexryda

i can give ya a good look at the back side of my bike, i'm sure'll you'll be whistling a different tune ;)

patrick delao
01-05-2004, 04:39 PM
I ran the Sparks key in my 440 and it ran very strong but if your in higher elevation like me at 5200 feet you will not have to mix with race gas I just ran straight pump.

Pat

zlam27
01-05-2004, 05:05 PM
ill buy your key if you dont give it to your friend :D