PDA

View Full Version : pull start or kick start kits

hondaex03
12-29-2003, 12:37 PM
Are there any pull start or kick start kits for and '03 400ex? If so where and how much.

ReconRider25
12-29-2003, 12:48 PM
i think you have to getr the parts from an xr400 for the kickstart but then you loose the electric start?:confused:

hondarider2006
12-29-2003, 01:14 PM
Originally posted by ReconRider25
i think you have to getr the parts from an xr400 for the kickstart but then you loose the electric start?:confused:

and I don't see why you would want to remove your electris start...unless loosing a whole whooping 5 pounds is really that big of a deal to you. In my opinion its just a waste of time, and its a lost easier to push a button, than it is to kick it over. If you want a kick start, buy a 450r;)

UglyMotha™
12-29-2003, 01:20 PM
your best bet would be to pretend that you never had this idea ;)

hondafox440
12-29-2003, 02:05 PM
You need the side case and starting mechanism from an XR400.

2004TRX450R
12-29-2003, 02:09 PM
I guess I'm kinda old school and like the kick starts too. It's amazing how lazy people have gotten in this sport over the last decade. The biggest problem with the kick start on the 400EX derived from the XR400 is that it will kick backward so you would either have to cut the fender off (:blah: or you would have to remove the fenders everytime you want to start it. Personally I don't think it is really worth it. If you want to save weight just remove the battery and regulator/rectifier and use a jumper box to start it with by putting the jumper wires directly on the starter lug and to ground. Just don't kill it when you don't have a jumper around or in the middle of a race.

hondaex03
12-29-2003, 03:25 PM
Its not that i want to get rid of the electric start. I would entend to use it as a back up if my battery fails for some reason.

remlapr
12-29-2003, 03:42 PM
Just keep a tow strap with you and have someone pull you and bump start it if that happens.

hondafox440
12-29-2003, 03:55 PM
Originally posted by 2004TRX450R
I guess I'm kinda old school and like the kick starts too. It's amazing how lazy people have gotten in this sport over the last decade. The biggest problem with the kick start on the 400EX derived from the XR400 is that it will kick backward so you would either have to cut the fender off (:blah: or you would have to remove the fenders everytime you want to start it. Personally I don't think it is really worth it. If you want to save weight just remove the battery and regulator/rectifier and use a jumper box to start it with by putting the jumper wires directly on the starter lug and to ground. Just don't kill it when you don't have a jumper around or in the middle of a race.

Exactly. Thats like the new luxury cars out today. Ridiculous. I prefer the kickstart over the electric start any day :D