PDA

View Full Version : What is yor opinion of 330ex machines being competitive with 400ex's.

RIDER11X
12-29-2003, 03:21 AM
What is yor opinion of 330ex machines being competitive with 400ex's and similar machines in XC Racing? Anyone got experience with this? :confused: Curious...

tprender
12-29-2003, 06:58 AM
In the tigth woods the quads might be close if best. But when it comes to the open areas the 400's will pull away because of the top ends. The supension is much better on the 400 even with stock shocks it will handle better. In MX the 300's are classed with the Blaster. the 330 kit will give it some more power, but the frame and trans are the big limits. I had a 250x that was built up and going to my 400 it was like night and day diff.

jshtex
12-29-2003, 09:07 AM
There is a guy that races a 3??ex in our series. He is in a different class than my son but he is very fast. I have no idea what he has done to it, and it may all be rider ability?

ajr400ex
12-29-2003, 09:44 AM
Depends at what level. I started on a 300ex with a stock motor (just bolt ons) and beat many 400's, raptors, etc. in the beginner and b/c classes. You can only go so fast in the trees - conditioning makes a bigger difference. I also think it makes you a better rider because you really have to ride the 300 hard to be competitive.

countypark
12-29-2003, 09:58 AM
To make a 300EX compete with a slightly modd'd 400 u need to spend a whole lot of money ( which anymore would be a waste).

Buy a 450 and get it overwith.

First off you need to upgrade your suspension. That means A-arms, shocks, steering stabilizer, lengthen the swingarm at least 2 inches.

You need good tires.

The frame must be strengthened to counter act the power of the 330. as well as the added abuse you will be able to put on it with the better suspension.

The engine will require alot of machining to take the 330, some minor headwork, (cam, valve springs, valve job). You will also want a bigger carb and heavier clutch springs, not to mention new clutch plates(stock honda's seem to work the best). The tranny will hold up fine.

All this will cost you 3000 to 4000 bucks. Plus the cost of the 300.

Don't forget about the nerfs, pipe, skid plates, gripper seat, hand gaurds, dual row carrier, bumper, grab bar, and all of the other little things that add up to big money.

I do like my 330 though. And it does compete with 400EX's

LTandRaptorider
12-29-2003, 10:16 AM
Originally posted by countypark
To make a 300EX compete with a slightly modd'd 400 u need to spend a whole lot of money ( which anymore would be a waste).

Buy a 450 and get it overwith.

First off you need to upgrade your suspension. That means A-arms, shocks, steering stabilizer, lengthen the swingarm at least 2 inches.

You need good tires.

The frame must be strengthened to counter act the power of the 330. as well as the added abuse you will be able to put on it with the better suspension.

The engine will require alot of machining to take the 330, some minor headwork, (cam, valve springs, valve job). You will also want a bigger carb and heavier clutch springs, not to mention new clutch plates(stock honda's seem to work the best). The tranny will hold up fine.

All this will cost you 3000 to 4000 bucks. Plus the cost of the 300.

Don't forget about the nerfs, pipe, skid plates, gripper seat, hand gaurds, dual row carrier, bumper, grab bar, and all of the other little things that add up to big money.

I do like my 330 though. And it does compete with 400EX's

I would like to high-light this post for Crazy Honda to read... ;)

RIDER11X
12-29-2003, 10:31 AM
Originally posted by LTandRaptorider
I would like to high-light this post for Crazy Honda to read... ;)

That is the reason I started this thread. I emailed a link to him to help him make up his mind what he wants to do. :rolleyes: He won't put it thread up because it would take him three hours of looking up words in a dictionary to spell them so we could understand.:D J/P

Seriously, TLC was really fast on her 330ex, and the shorter chassis is a benifit in tight woods. I want to gather as many opinions as possible to help the guy out. He already got a fresh 330 in a chassis, with a 350x swingarm on it which will give him more length there. He is just debating between buying a Z400 or building his 330.:cool:

4wheelboy
12-29-2003, 10:36 AM
i think its funny easpecaily in mx when a smaller quad beats a bigger quad they get off the next lap an start making excuses:devil:

LTandRaptorider
12-29-2003, 10:37 AM
Maybe if this thread had pics instead of big words he has to read!! :devil:

Just kiddin Clyde... sortof! :D

ILGNCC400EX
12-29-2003, 01:50 PM
Originally posted by RIDER11X
That is the reason I started this thread. I emailed a link to him to help him make up his mind what he wants to do. :rolleyes: He won't put it thread up because it would take him three hours of looking up words in a dictionary to spell them so we could understand.:D J/P

Seriously, TLC was really fast on her 330ex, and the shorter chassis is a benifit in tight woods. I want to gather as many opinions as possible to help the guy out. He already got a fresh 330 in a chassis, with a 350x swingarm on it which will give him more length there. He is just debating between buying a Z400 or building his 330.:cool: :D have you lads no compassion;)

LTandRaptorider
12-29-2003, 04:37 PM
Originally posted by ILGNCC400EX
:D have you lads no compassion;)

Hmmm... that word sounds familiar... let me look it up. Ok, here it is... hmmm... oh...

NOPE!!! :devil: :devil:

ILGNCC400EX
12-29-2003, 04:45 PM
This is my 300ex there are many like it, but this one is mine.
Does your 300ex have a name son?
Yes my 300ex's name is Charlene sir.

LTandRaptorider
12-29-2003, 04:47 PM
Originally posted by ILGNCC400EX
This is my 300ex there are many like it, but this one is mine.
Does your 300ex have a name son?
Yes my 300ex's name is Charlene sir.

Ahh... danno, we'll get along just fine! I have Full Metal Jacket on DVD... ;)

ILGNCC400EX
12-29-2003, 04:55 PM
i knew you would get that

countypark
12-31-2003, 09:19 AM
I hope he had the shock rebuilt for the 350X.

The spring on the 350 shock is so stiff it makes the 300 ride like it has no rear suspension.

Take off the 350x arm and have your stock one lengthened at a fab shop.

I can get them lengthened for about $150.

Crazy Honda
12-31-2003, 04:30 PM
Originally posted by countypark
I hope he had the shock rebuilt for the 350X.

The spring on the 350 shock is so stiff it makes the 300 ride like it has no rear suspension.

Take off the 350x arm and have your stock one lengthened at a fab shop.

I can get them lengthened for about $150.

I thought I would be able to fix that with the rebound and compresion? I didnt think the 300 could weigh more than the 350x?:confused:

countypark
12-31-2003, 08:44 PM
The front end of a 3 wheeler is alot lighter then a 4 wheeler. To compensate for the light front end honda put a heavy rear spring on the 350X. It is like 750 lbs as compared to a 350 to 400 lb spring on a quad.

You can adjust the rebound and compression all you want and you will still have a harsh, stiff ride. It actually hurts to ride.

mtdewracing
01-01-2004, 08:34 AM
hey crazy honda dont listen to rider11x he told me what he was tellin you about your 330ex and it will keep up with a 400ex in the woods!!!! just bring that thing out a show everyone how its done!!!!lol i dont know if you remember who i am but we went riding together at big murph with lt and raptor rider and rider11x when your banshee fell apart!!! lol:devil:

Bill Fuller
01-01-2004, 08:46 AM
A 330 EX will have no problem keeping up with a 400 EX.In the woods or the track the 330 is just as quick as a "stock" 400.I have owned both and have drag raced a "few" 400's and never had a problem keeping up or beating them.As for putting $3000-$4000 in one so it can keep up,you need to wear a helmet all the time son you must have hit that head a couple of times.I didn't even have a port job.Big bore kit,TC cam,Sparks pipe.All this was done before the 400EX a arm mods were thought of all I had was Works shocks.It was a tuff decision for me to give up on the 'OL 300,but the 400 sure was shiney:D

LTandRaptorider
01-01-2004, 09:42 AM
Originally posted by mtdewracing
hey crazy honda dont listen to rider11x he told me what he was tellin you about your 330ex and it will keep up with a 400ex in the woods!!!! just bring that thing out a show everyone how its done!!!!lol i dont know if you remember who i am but we went riding together at big murph with lt and raptor rider and rider11x when your banshee fell apart!!! lol:devil:

hahahaha!!!!!!!! :D yeah, clyde leaves a trail of parts in his wake... :devil:

hey Crazy Honda... Raptor for $3,500! I'll even deliver it to you... ;) Be nice to see you able to ride for a change!

dirtmomma
01-01-2004, 10:01 AM
HELL YEAH LOL!!! Well there's a gal on a 330 out @ our flattrack & oh my that thing flies!! But I can usually get behind her :D & stay there:rolleyes: thats what I wanna do w/ mine either a 330 kit or geez I think maybe i should go big w/ a 396 stroker:eek2: Oh hell who am I kidding LOL Mine keeps up/beats 400's on the track & I love it. Ok enough blah blah blah,

Do ya really think your frame needs to be gusseted for a 330 kit:huh :huh that seems a little extreme!! The 330 on our track is in a 250x frame. But I guess your talking about different racing so I'm leaving this thread now sorry for butting in LMAO!!

01-01-2004, 10:12 AM
at the local MX track a 330ex won the open 4 stroke class 2 years in a row..:eek2: And he wasn't racing stock raptors or 400ex's either, it all depends on how good the rider is.

Crazy Honda
01-01-2004, 10:35 AM
Well looks like rider11x and a few others will cry this year cause the 330 is on its way.and we will have to ask him how the axle looks as that will be the noly thing he will see after the 1st lap...lol
:devil:

RIDER11X
01-01-2004, 11:11 AM
Originally posted by Crazy Honda
Well looks like rider11x and a few others will cry this year cause the 330 is on its way.and we will have to ask him how the axle looks as that will be the noly thing he will see after the 1st lap...lol

Bring it! See you at the Wisp unless your skeered!:devil:

LTandRaptorider
01-01-2004, 11:14 AM
Originally posted by dirtmomma
HELL YEAH LOL!!! Well there's a gal on a 330 out @ our flattrack & oh my that thing flies!! But I can usually get behind her :D & stay there:rolleyes: thats what I wanna do w/ mine either a 330 kit or geez I think maybe i should go big w/ a 396 stroker:eek2: Oh hell who am I kidding LOL Mine keeps up/beats 400's on the track & I love it. Ok enough blah blah blah,

Do ya really think your frame needs to be gusseted for a 330 kit:huh :huh that seems a little extreme!! The 330 on our track is in a 250x frame. But I guess your talking about different racing so I'm leaving this thread now sorry for butting in LMAO!!

Well Kym, crazy honda has put a little weight on since summer... so I think some guseting on his killer 330ex will be necessary...:devil:

And clyde, I'm NOT PAYING FOR YOUR KID ANYMORE... THEY ARE ALLL YOURS... ;)

LTandRaptorider
01-01-2004, 11:19 AM

You are the best incentive... If I have to kill myself, I'll whip your 330!!! ;)

Glad to see ya back on here BTW... where the hill were ya last night? I needed some competition in air hockey last night! Ask rider11x how he did in the tournament... Oh wait, I'll tell ya! My score... 28, rider11x score... 7!!! hahahahahahahaha!! :D Sorry marc, gotta gloat about somethin... :( Those "forearm" exercises I do really paid off... :o

Crazy Honda
01-01-2004, 11:38 AM
Sorry but the lil miss didnt want to hang out after she told rider11x you guys where old ...lol she didnt want to show her face...lol and I wasent in any good shape to try to drive out.my head still hurts:eek2:

RIDER11X
01-01-2004, 01:40 PM
Bring it! See you at the Wisp unless your skeered!:devil:

Crazy Honda! Are you avoiding my offer? I understand if you don't want to get whooped in front of all those people.....:devil:

mtdewracing
01-01-2004, 02:05 PM
ill take on all!! :D

Crazy Honda
01-01-2004, 02:31 PM
I dont think they will let me in the old farts class .....:devil:

LTandRaptorider
01-01-2004, 02:40 PM
I dont think they will let me in the old farts class .....:devil:

dammit... hate to admit when you get a good one in! ;)

Yeah, I heard your 'old' lady didn't want to mix with the old group... :(

RIDER11X
01-01-2004, 03:59 PM
I dont think they will let me in the old farts class .....:devil: You are absolutely right, but they should have your class 16-24 lauch 1 minute prior to us, so don't worry, I'll give you that minute lead to gain a little ground, because I Will catch you before you get 1 lap in. :devil: I'm sure you will have warning though, I doubt I'll be the first "OLD FART" to pass you!:devil:

dirtmomma
01-02-2004, 09:32 AM
HEHEHE GO OLD FARTS LMAO!!!!:devil:

LTandRaptorider
01-02-2004, 10:16 AM
You are absolutely right, but they should have your class 16-24 lauch 1 minute prior to us, so don't worry, I'll give you that minute lead to gain a little ground, because I Will catch you before you get 1 lap in. :devil: I'm sure you will have warning though, I doubt I'll be the first "OLD FART" to pass you!:devil:

When you see a bottleneck, that's where Crazy Honda's broken down quad will be... :p

LTandRaptorider
01-02-2004, 10:18 AM
Originally posted by dirtmomma
HEHEHE GO OLD FARTS LMAO!!!!:devil:

Yeah!! Even though I'm old enough to be his dad... I'm sooooo happy I'm not!! :devil: Definitely would've done the old knock on the church door and run... :eek2:

Crazy Honda
01-02-2004, 11:16 AM
we know you want me as your kid id teach you to be fast and you can help me spell...lol
:eek:

Out_Sider
01-02-2004, 04:01 PM
Originally posted by Rico
at the local MX track a 330ex won the open 4 stroke class 2 years in a row..:eek2: And he wasn't racing stock raptors or 400ex's either, it all depends on how good the rider is.

exactly...yesterday, jan. 1, i had my first mx race. i was up against 400exs, z400s, raptors, predators, one banshee, and a DECKED OUT MOJAVE!! the mojave one all 3 motos, and i finished 4th overall!

LTandRaptorider
01-02-2004, 06:23 PM
we know you want me as your kid id teach you to be fast and you can help me spell...lol

hahaha! :D :devil:

250xridamatt
01-27-2004, 11:06 AM
i have a question some of you might be able to answer?? There is that 330ex for sale on here, if i were to upgrade to that would there be a difference on the track on my 250x? ill list my mods that might affect the answer

works beginner level shocks
k and n filter
air box lid off

thats all that would affect my performance, the rest is all cosmetic

RIDER11X
01-27-2004, 11:14 AM
Originally posted by 250xridamatt
i have a question some of you might be able to answer?? There is that 330ex for sale on here, if i were to upgrade to that would there be a difference on the track on my 250x? ill list my mods that might affect the answer

works beginner level shocks
k and n filter
air box lid off

thats all that would affect my performance, the rest is all cosmetic
Having owned a 250x before I bought my 400, they say a 330 can slightly beat a bone stock 400, so answer would be: You should see a HUGE Difference! Keep in mind the 300ex is a 250x with a longer stroke, and the same size bore. You can have someone build a 330 from your 250x with no problem.:cool:

250xridamatt
01-27-2004, 12:58 PM
ok thanks.

LTandRaptorider
01-27-2004, 01:49 PM

Hey Clyde, you look good in purple! :eek2:

Soon as I wear out my welcome in IL, I'll be back to see what project you're working on... :rolleyes: BTW... Raptor is now at the rock bottom price of $3,000! :eek: