PDA

View Full Version : Gps

TheRedRebel17
12-28-2003, 09:14 PM
Went to my dad;s today and got to open christmas stuff fiannly...i got a GPS. Its a Magellam Sportrak Map. Is this anygood for back in the woods?

SGA
12-28-2003, 09:42 PM
Thats a good GPS :)

Woodsrider
12-28-2003, 09:55 PM
That's cool, does it come with spelling lessons?:rolleyes:

TheRedRebel17
12-28-2003, 10:24 PM
Originally posted by soggyrider
That's cool, does it come with spelling lessons?:rolleyes:
Does your custom text come with it too?

SGA, thats it. I thought it was good myself, but i wanted some opionions of it. Supposed to be waterproof and it floats.

Max400
12-28-2003, 10:48 PM
I have the Magellan sport trac pro, I Love it.....get the Mapsend topo program and it shows all kids of trails. you can print out maps to take on rides with you, and build routes to follow.
Also get some protective plastic film that they use on PDA's to put on the screen to keep it from getting scratched......you'll love it

TheRedRebel17
12-28-2003, 10:57 PM
What is this covering you are refering to? How much is the program? I was wondering about that since i saw it on the cover.

Max400
12-28-2003, 11:18 PM
What is this covering you are refering to? How much is the program? I was wondering about that since i saw it on the cover.

The cover is a plastic film that sticks to the screen of your GPS so that the viewing lens don't get scratched, you can buy it at radio shack. It is for PDA's so you will have to trim it to fit the screen of you r GPS. if you don't the screen will get all scratched and will be hard to read.
the software you can also buy it at radio schack, thats where I got my GPS. it sells for $99.00 or you can go on the Magellan web site and order it there, but you won't have to pay shipping?

TheRedRebel17
12-28-2003, 11:34 PM
dang..99$ is a bit steep..im guessing its worth it alot though?
I might have to make a trip up there tommorow;)

03400EX_Nacs
12-30-2003, 01:18 PM
i just set my uncles $1,000 nvaman gps system and it wasnt anygood for trails :confused: but i dont think it was suppose to be :and he have me a magellan for free and its not any good for hiking or anything ... would the woods hurt your signal any?

Woodsrider
12-30-2003, 08:22 PM
Yes they will. The unit has to have a clear veiw of the sky. In order to lock in on at least three satelites to triangulate your position. The more satelites you can pic up the better off you are.

Max400
12-31-2003, 04:17 AM
just set my uncles $1,000 nvaman gps system and it wasnt anygood for trails but i dont think it was suppose to be :and he have me a magellan for free and its not any good for hiking or anything ... would the woods hurt your signal any? :confused: :confused:

Do you even know how to use them???????my magellan works great, it works in the hills where I ride!!!

The unit has to have a clear veiw of the sky. In order to lock in on at least three satelites to triangulate your position. The more satelites you can pic up the better off you are.

Mine works in the woods with trees all around, the only place mine won't work is in a tunnel or if you go in a building.......if you can see the sky it will work.