PDA

View Full Version : Spark Plug Removal Tip

02-18-2002, 09:43 PM
I recently bought a used 400EX with no tools. Could not find a Craftsman or Snap-On socket that would fit down on plug for removal. Finally found a metric, long socket set at Wal-Mart that had a 18mm socket with thin walls. Fits perfectly. The whole set of Taiwain sockets was about $10, cheaper than a stock wrench and included more trail sockets for the old tool box.

Also, use a piece of old rubber gas hose that can be fitted over the plug to ease screwing the plug in and out while it is loose.

dawzie
03-03-2002, 05:56 PM
Thanks for the tip on that plug wrench> Our stock wrench is junk.:square

440EXR
03-09-2002, 09:28 AM
with all the Honda engineering that stock wrench really sucks so thanks for the tip Im off to wall mart:D

Deathbringer
03-12-2002, 11:29 PM
The stock wrench rocks!!!! *gets it out of his toolbox*

Lets see now I put it on like this???? is it this end or the other... wheres that little torque wrench thing... damnit now the plastic is in the way..I can't turn the bar.....

Ok ok..whats the part number at Wal-Mart...:D

hondaredrider
08-28-2006, 08:47 AM
this might sound like a stupid question, but do you have to take the gas tank off to change the plug. j/w haven't changed mine yet.

Deathbringer
08-28-2006, 09:52 AM
No you don't. You just need to get a short plug(socket) wrench and everything is fine. Don't try to use the one they give you.

redexrider
08-28-2006, 10:52 AM
you can find the craftsman ones that will work, the key is to buy an 18mm SPARK PLUG SOCKET not just a normal socket. I bought a craftsman 18mm SPARK PLUG SOCKET and it works like a charm. For those that do not know the difference, a spark plug socket will have a rubber piece on the inside (this is to grab the spark plug and pull it out as you pull the socket out.) and will have a hex shape at the wrench end. It will most likely say spark plug socket on it as well. The only problem with the thin walled walmart sockets are that if you use them for anything that has real torque on it you will bust the sockets.... for the spark plug it shouldnt be a problem because it shouldnt be that tight.

Deathbringer
08-28-2006, 12:43 PM
"plug socket will have a rubber piece on the inside "

Good point.

JOEX
08-28-2006, 05:24 PM
Originally posted by redexrider
you can find the craftsman ones that will work, the key is to buy an 18mm SPARK PLUG SOCKET not just a normal socket. I bought a craftsman 18mm SPARK PLUG SOCKET and it works like a charm. For those that do not know the difference, a spark plug socket will have a rubber piece on the inside (this is to grab the spark plug and pull it out as you pull the socket out.) and will have a hex shape at the wrench end. It will most likely say spark plug socket on it as well. The only problem with the thin walled walmart sockets are that if you use them for anything that has real torque on it you will bust the sockets.... for the spark plug it shouldnt be a problem because it shouldnt be that tight.
The 'normal' 18mm deep well Craftsman socket I have works just fine. It is part of a set I bought about 20 years ago though....

redexrider
08-28-2006, 06:37 PM
yeah 20 yrs ago will do that...

JOEX
09-02-2006, 08:48 PM
Originally posted by rooster300ex
who cares
We don't want comments like that around here:grr:

rooster300ex
09-09-2006, 02:38 PM
sorry. another good tip when you remove a plug is to use a compressor to blow whatever could be in that tight area. One time I looked where my plug is and there was a lil tiny rock sitting in there. Since I seen that I never take my plug out without hitting it with the air. Oh yea and after you get it halfway out hit it with the air again. If you don't have a compressor when you get it half way out turn the engine over a few times and the compression will blow the junk out of the way.

bmxatv
10-05-2006, 11:53 AM
good point rooster300. however, if you're not rich and can't afford a real compressor try compressed can air for computers. Should have enough force to blow tiny rocks and grime out.

rooster300ex
10-05-2006, 09:38 PM
Originally posted by bmxatv
good point rooster300. however, if you're not rich and can't afford a real compressor try compressed can air for computers. Should have enough force to blow tiny rocks and grime out.

Yea especially after you have it about halfway out. All the grim and crap is prolly all busted apart.