PDA

View Full Version : 14th sprocket with 22'' tires

02-18-2002, 08:08 PM
How much bottom end would i loose if i put a 14 tooth sprocket in the front and 22'' tires in the rear?Is this a good set up for trail AGGRESSIVE riding.

02-18-2002, 08:09 PM
i own a stock 400ex bought im lookin to get a little bit ore ground clearance without loosin performance.

Leo
02-18-2002, 09:10 PM
a 14 tooth sprocket w/ 22's should put you back roughly to stock gearing...

you'll pick up a bit of ground clearance, but it takes more power to spin the bigger, heavier tire (regardless of gearing)..

Leo

02-19-2002, 11:50 AM
you only get about 1" extra ground clearence, but it is VERY noticable. I can clear 80% of what I would hit on before. I still have a 15tooth c/s but now that my bike is jetted and piped, It can handel the taller tires in 5th gear. Plus, top speed is close to, if not over 70mph. I will check with my gps sometime when the snow melts so I can go. I am going to put a 14 tooth on in the spring, I'v been meaning to do it for a wile.I'll see how much speed I loose.
the power was smoother when I first put the tires on without the pipe or jets.(not as much snap) I could still hold a 5th gear wheelie, with the 22" all traks. now, it revs out more up hills. A 14tooth sproket would probably be the best for a stock 400ex with 22" tires. you can still do agressive trail riding, mabne even more than before(with the extra ground clearence) but it wount rail around corners as nice as before. but you don't notice unless you are going at race speeds. 1rst gear is too tall with stock gearing and 22" tires. The chain snaps on normal takeoffs.(light throttle) almost a straining. but I have never had a problem with the clutch with the tall gearing.
go for it.

02-25-2002, 03:54 PM
wat kind of tires would u recommend. I ride in mud, colum dumps , hard/loose pack dirt

Danimal
02-25-2002, 06:55 PM
I run 22x12 Bear Claws on mine and i love them. I did put a 14 tooth on front and it helped.