PDA

View Full Version : clogged carb?

Samson
12-27-2003, 08:40 PM
My 400ex died on my last ride. It won't idle (period), it won't start unless at full throttle, misses and backfires (lots of white smoke), and won't rev or go over like 3 mph. Also, there is a strong smell of gas.

Any thoughts? PLEASE HELP!!!
:confused:

400ex#18
12-27-2003, 09:32 PM
check your spark plug, and see what color it is...white is lean, and the jet will have to go up, black is rich, and jet will have to go down, copper or goldish color then the jet isn't the problem. clean your air filter.:confused:

4TraxRider
12-27-2003, 10:21 PM
Almost sounds like you may have got water in your carb maby. Just a thought.

JOEX
12-27-2003, 10:26 PM
What mods do you have? Did you change anything before the last ride? What were you doing when it died?

Joe

Samson
12-28-2003, 07:40 AM
Originally posted by JOEX
What mods do you have? Did you change anything before the last ride? What were you doing when it died?

Joe

Funny you should ask Joe. I installed a Dynojet kit. Went by the manufacturers instructions. Ran great for about an hour and a half. Wondering if I might have dumped some sand or somthing in the tank when removing the plastics. Don't know for sure, but there was some crud trapped between the plastics and tank and you have to remove the gas lid to get the plastics off. Don't care much for that design.

I was at the dunes, right in the middle of a wheelie when it killed over. Running great...to nada. Instantly.

No water in my part of the world and I plan on pulling that plug. Just been too busy babysitting the 1 year old terror.

JOEX
12-28-2003, 05:18 PM
The main jet may have fallen out, it happened to a friend when he did his. I think his would start and idle but wouldn't go past 1/4 throttle. So it could be something else or a combination of things.

Maybe the needle came loose?

I suppose it's possible the plug may just be flooded due to the added fuel with the jet not being in place.

Just some more things to look at:)

Joe

cals400ex
12-28-2003, 05:32 PM
i have seen the main jets fall out before. also, i have seen the two skrews that hold the needle down into the slide fall out. i would take the carb out and see if anything fell out of place.

Samson
01-02-2004, 07:47 AM
Main jet fell out. :huh

:o :o :o :o :o

PoopOna400EX
01-04-2004, 02:09 PM
I had the same problems you described and mine ended being the same thing, main jet fell out :) Just fixed mine last night.

sparks400
01-04-2004, 09:32 PM
just go threw ur carb and check everything cleanit all out a blow out both jets