PDA

View Full Version : Pipe dilemma

Quadfather
02-18-2002, 06:58 PM
Okay, I know the pipe subject has been beaten to death, but I'm a newer member, so here goes my question.

I have a Curtis Sparks complete system on my 400EX. I love its power. My buddies with stock bikes can't touch me. The only thing is, it's very, very loud. I'm 36 yrs old, and can do without the noise. I ride in some national forests, and it doesn't have a spark arrestor. I know I can get a spark arrestor for $100, but I'd hate to invest any more dough into this pipe if I'm thinking of getting rid of it.

My question is, is there another decent pipe out there, that won't leave me disappointed in its power, but be a little kinder on the ears? I hear people talking about White Bros E series slip ons, but all I see in the catalogs are the complete systems. I need something with spark arrestor capabilities as well.

If I do decide on the WB E series, what jetting is required?

All info greatly appreciated.

max400EX
02-18-2002, 09:18 PM
E-Series full system will run you about $450 and require maybe a jet or 2 smaller than u are running now on the main circuit. It will deinately be more ear firendly and the disks on the end are a forest apoproved spark arrestor. The slip on is the same and jetting will be about 3-4 sizes smaller than you are now and about $219. The slip-on will work quite well on a stock motor. The pro Meg is more for modded engines, but can be run on stock ones and the slip on can be run on moded ones, just not recomendeed for full power.

Hope I helped/made sence

Max T.

kaneman23
02-28-2002, 09:47 PM
Quad father do you still have the sparks pipe? Is it the X6? If you decide to replace it and want to sell it let me know. I am interested. Kaneman23@aol.com

Justin

breaks-alot
03-01-2002, 07:43 PM
Hey quadfather. I remember you from the atvconnection forums. Anyway i live in n-e ohio... Not a long trip to akron.... Well if you find a quiter pipe i could forgit shiping and convince my bro to drive me there. I'm EXTREAMLY intrested Ben-Gunter@excite.com is my e-mail ;)

03-01-2002, 08:41 PM
As you can tell, the sparks pipe is pretty popular. I would get the s/a for it because: (1) you need it and (2) it will quiet the pipe down by taking some of the bark out of it. BTW- you'll probably need to go down one on the main jet when the s/a is installed. Oh yea-- I like the sound of a good motor and pipe also BUT I like a good sound not necessarily a loud sound. I don't think that because I'm older than you but because only a fool thinks that noise=power! ;)

jcv400ex
03-01-2002, 08:45 PM
I'd also get the disks for the Sparks. You have the premium pipe already, and it's still going to outperform a WB E Series.

joe250
03-01-2002, 09:56 PM
The FMF Quiet cores add alot of power and is quiet you might want to look into those. they come with spark arrestor too.