PDA

View Full Version : Newbie with questions

400exjunkie
12-27-2003, 08:27 AM
I have just bought my first quad, its a 400ex and this is my first 4 stroke.

I have a couple of quesions.

I want to mod this thing, but I am not sure where to start.

Thinking exhaust system and air filter...

Which ones? I was thinking FMF system and K&N, but I would like to have more input so I can get the best.

Is the 440 kit worth it? pros & cons....

Is there any other mods I should be considering?

One more question.

What do you think the best oil to run is?

Thanks

bone705
12-27-2003, 09:23 AM
if you plan on getting a big bore then get a full system. if arent planning on it then just get the slip on. the curtis sparks are suppose to give u signaficant gains. the hmfs also seem like a good exhaust. a k&n would be good. if u ride in woods id get the outerwear.

the 440 kit will give u a big power increase. they are still pretty realiable.

if u have the money then suspension would be a good thing to look at.

ILGNCC400EX
12-27-2003, 05:00 PM
you will go faster with good suspension than moter mods.an take that swingarm polt out and put some good grease on it

4TraxRider
12-27-2003, 11:56 PM
Yeah definatly, get shocks first, you won't regret it.

Knips178
01-08-2004, 07:08 AM
Any time you ever see a Q&A with a pro they say upgrade your suspension first, motor mods later! What type of riding are you going to do? If your going to race MX or XC at all, get front shocks FIRST! They transform your 400ex into an infinately better handling machine. Everyone wants to go put the exhaust and K&N filter on first to make it faster, but a good suspension will kill motor mods in any facet of racing or general riding.
Good luck

Quadworks
01-08-2004, 07:32 AM
As for exhaust definatly go HMF!

As for engine I would go a 11:1 (JE or Ross) 416 kit this looks to be about the best for reliable cheap power.

Also do some searchs on here you will find many mods that are cheap and worth the work.