PDA

View Full Version : do i need a new battery?

400EXcrazy
12-26-2003, 10:22 PM
i live in tennessee and it gets pretty cold outside, my 400ex is in my garage but the battery keeps dieing, this is the second time in a week i had to charge the battery. i just put a new fuse and spark plug in it too. whats wrong do i need a new battery

4TraxRider
12-26-2003, 10:24 PM
Is it dead before you start it? If your draining it trying to start it for long periods of time, then it isn't your battery. If it starts fine but the bettery is always dead, then it sounds like a new battery.

400EXcrazy
12-26-2003, 10:27 PM
its when i try to start it, i started it today fine but i went over to a friends house at like 9 30pm i tryed to start it and it wouldnt start

Pappy
12-26-2003, 10:38 PM
how old is the battery?

do you have a multimeter to get some readings from the battery?

400EXcrazy
12-26-2003, 11:08 PM
no i dont have one, the battery is about a year and a half old

Pappy
12-26-2003, 11:14 PM
on average a cycle battery wil fail within its first 2 years of service. with proper care and normal temperatures longer life can be expected. id say she is probably on her way out and a replacement is needed.

everyone should have a multimeter in thier toolbox. you can get them for less then $5 for a basic unit. it takes alot of geuss work out of electrical issues.

400EXcrazy
12-26-2003, 11:15 PM
ok cool thanks

Pappy
12-26-2003, 11:19 PM
btw... the stock battery # for the 400ex is YTX9-BS. there is a direct fit upgrade unit available that has a signi***ant increase in cold crank amperes. the negative on the upgrade is that its hard to find. i have them but i sell batteries for a living:p

stay away from the dealer unless they treat you right. you shouldnt pay over $60 for that battery and by now it could be less then $50. (i havent checked retail pricing in awhile)

bone705
12-26-2003, 11:35 PM
u might check at wal-mart. u can get one for under $50. i got a batery for my 300ex from there and it seems to be holding up good.

f1502nv
12-27-2003, 12:21 AM
i found with my 300 if the light switch is on it will drain the battery even if you DONT have any lights on it!!!!

2004TRX450R
12-27-2003, 12:45 AM
IF you need a new battery I'd go with a factory Yuasa battery. They seem to last a lot longer than the other cheaper brands. Interstate also seems to make a decent battery. Don't get a chepo like a Bike Master or you will be replaceing it again soon. Batterys if properly maintained should last a lot longer than 1.5-2 years. If you let your bike sit for long periods it will slowly discharge the battery and a battery should never be left to sit when in an uncharged state or it will go bad prematurely.

The first thing I would do is get a volt meter and see what kind of voltage the battery has. Then make sure the battery is fully charged and start the bike. Check the voltage with it running. It should be up in the 13.5-14 volt range. If it is lower then you have a chargeing system problem. Otherwise you might have a bad battery. Also you will want to do a key off system draw. Take the negetive battery cable off and hook an amp meter to the negetive terminal on the battery and the negetive battery cable. There should be .02 or less amp draw with the key off. Otherwise you have a draw on the battery that is draining it when it is sitting.

toby400ex
12-27-2003, 12:53 AM
just touch wires to the battery and frame until big sparks shoot everywhere

Pappy
12-27-2003, 05:32 AM
Originally posted by toby400ex
just touch wires to the battery and frame until big sparks shoot everywhere

im geussing you still have both your eyes?

seriously DONT TRY THAT. i see atleast 1 battery a week blow up and it is no joke.

yuasa is the worlds largest battery manufacture of cycle batteries. the make all of interstate batteries cycle batteries.

sickmojave
12-27-2003, 05:47 AM
Originally posted by Pappy
im geussing you still have both your eyes?

seriously DONT TRY THAT. i see atleast 1 battery a week blow up and it is no joke.

I had a guy test one of our cat. batterys with a milton tester.I told him the batt was hot like it had a short in one cell but he didn't listen. well when it sparked putting the tester on the batt blew parts everywhere it took most of the skin off his face and the last I heard he lost an eye. these things are no joke. if you don't know what your doing take it to a pro.

Pappy
12-27-2003, 05:55 AM
yeah they can hurt ya.

we had one the other day that was in a bank of warranties being charged. it looked like someone was welding inside the battery:eek: i ran over and shut down the line and it didnt blow but thats close enough for me:p

cals400ex
12-27-2003, 11:40 AM
you want to let the secret part # out for the upgraded 400ex battery?

f1502nv
12-27-2003, 12:09 PM
ya!!!!!!!!

quadryda
12-27-2003, 09:17 PM
try wal mart u mite be suprised but they have alot of batteries i got mine there bring the stock one with u and match it up

Pappy
12-27-2003, 09:20 PM
Originally posted by cals400ex
you want to let the secret part # out for the upgraded 400ex battery?

i didnt post it becuase i cant remember the thing...must be the cold medecine. its either YT12ABS or YT12bs...ill check monday for sure

JOEX
12-27-2003, 10:32 PM
Hey Pappy, when you get that part number you should put it in the FAQ section so when it comes time for me (and others) to get one I wont have to harass you about it!:p

Joe

2004TRX450R
12-28-2003, 01:12 AM
Originally posted by Pappy
i didnt post it becuase i cant remember the thing...must be the cold medecine. its either YT12ABS or YT12bs...ill check monday for sure

Is that a MF battery? It doesn't look like it from the number. I think I would stay with a MF battery on these things. That way if you roll it over you won't have acid dumping out.

Pappy
12-28-2003, 05:32 AM
yes almost all the atv batteries are MF(maintence free) its actual designated an absorbed glass mat battery where in the acid is absorbed by a fiberglass envelope that surronds the plates. after about 4 hours after adding the included acid pack your battery will not have any "free acid" inside. it will be dry