PDA

View Full Version : rear brakes..need help

adrenaline
12-26-2003, 12:06 AM
....i was running low on brake fluid so i added break fluid i had in the garage not realizing the one i added was dot 3.. :( ..after putting the cap back on i realized its supposed to be dot 4 so i drained the line..put in dot 4 brake fluid and no matter how long i stay and pump the brake (rear) it doesn't seem to want to go through..

any help?!? thanx

ewalker302
12-26-2003, 12:41 AM
Sounds like you still have air in the lines.
Try this

Brake bleeding Jabber style.

http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=9577

I miss Jabber, what happened to him??

:bandit:

zfire_28
12-26-2003, 04:24 AM
gonna have to bleed dat mo fo

adrenaline
12-26-2003, 12:29 PM
yea i thought so..thanx

12-27-2003, 01:56 PM
i did the same thing...except dot 5...my brakes never worked again, some said it was b/c there is a chemical reaction with dot 4 & dot 5 mixed that causes rubber to expand. I just bought a whole new brake system for $75 from a friend. I am pretty sure that dot 3 & dot 4 won't cause your rubber to expand or any permanent damage but I dont think they work when they are mixed which sounds like the problem you are having, :macho

markk
01-14-2004, 09:39 AM
pull your bleaer screw all the way out and just keep on working that break lever for a while then leave the screw out and let gravity do its job for a day or two

then take and put the bleader screw, back in tight and pump the pedal up alot then release the screw, then pump the pedeal alot then then release the screw,(reber to tighten the bleader screw before u let the pedal up (this might take a couple of people) then just repeat this process sooner or alot later u will get results!!!!

try filling your caliaper with fluid, with some sorta injector first mabey

whatwasthat
01-14-2004, 07:28 PM
dot 3 and 4 mix fine, and both will work.. dot 4 can handle higher temps better is all. Now dot 5 is completely different, its a mineral oil and will casue problems in brake systems not requireing such..

01-16-2004, 05:21 AM
dont use dot 5 :bandit: