PDA

View Full Version : Bearing Carriers

Chanman420q
12-25-2003, 09:43 PM
Tapered or Double Row....... whats the diffrance and what are the benifits of each

12-26-2003, 06:53 AM
Tapered will last a lot longer and is by far the best of the 2. But it's possible you'll loose chain adjustment depending on what company you get your carrier from.

Chanman420q
12-26-2003, 10:34 AM
Well im either gunna get the RAD tapered or the LSR double Row

cals400ex
12-26-2003, 11:57 AM
i have been told that the lsr products are junk. however, i have NO experience with them so i honestly don't know. that is just what i was told. you may be able to get more responses in the suspension forum if you don't get it figured out here. good luck

Pappy
12-26-2003, 12:28 PM
i had been told that tapered also wears faster:confused: and i believe the reason i was given was due to side bearing load? i havent a clue....lmao

i run a burgard double row and havent had one problem. lsr double row is a decent part also but i have no personal expierence with tapered.

FFW
12-26-2003, 07:55 PM
Well Pappy, look at it this way, how many cars out there on the road have servicable front bearings? Answer: Millions. All of those same car's bearings are of the tapered variety.

I would imagine they easily exceed the side loads during light usage that one would see under even the most extreme conditions on an ATV. The bearings are specifically designed to be loaded from the side, hence the tapered design. Premature failure would really only come from three things: Lack of grease, dirt/water intrusion, and improper tightening.

I've had the Rad carrier on my 440 now for about 2 years and it's been very much trouble free. Only service I have performed is occasionalyl pumping some grease into the zerk to ensure it's full. I don't anticipate ever having to replace it unless I do something extraordinarily stupid. From what I understand the Rad carrier uses automotive bearings anyway.

I also don't see any real issues with the double row carrier. Take care of it with normal maintenance and it should last a long time as well.

:)

Pappy
12-26-2003, 08:50 PM
Originally posted by FFW
Premature failure would really only come from three things: Lack of grease, dirt/water intrusion, and improper tightening.

lmao...exactly the thing 99.9% of atv owners suffer the most of;) :D

RiPPiNiTuP7
12-26-2003, 11:05 PM
both carriers are nice, no doubt, but the tapered has the better edge. a tapered carrier will last for years when given the proper care. not to mention how much stronger the bearings are. its true that with certain ones you will loose a little bit of chain adjustment, but after running one on my old 400ex for roughly a year i can tell you that never became a problem. either carrier is a good choice, but if you have the extra money i highly recommend the tapered one.

btw, lsr carriers are just as good as any other, i dont know why you would think otherwise.

f1502nv
12-27-2003, 12:18 AM
i have had a lsr for years and never had a prob...at all......not even when it comes to adjusting the chain

toby400ex
12-27-2003, 01:34 AM
wd40 works bestiisss:mad: