PDA

View Full Version : Impact Wrench Owners

Chanman420q
12-25-2003, 03:18 PM
How strong are they? do they work good, i was looking at them in home depot and they had a husky one for 50 bucks. Just looking for some input before i buy

Doibugu2
12-25-2003, 03:24 PM
They very all over the board.

What do you plan on using it for? I have a cheap sears one I got with my compressor, its great for a lot of things, but doesn't have a lot of torque to get off a lot of tough bolts.

LTandRaptorider
12-25-2003, 03:26 PM
Originally posted by Chanman420q
How strong are they? do they work good, i was looking at them in home depot and they had a husky one for 50 bucks. Just looking for some input before i buy

Never had any Husky tools, but they seem to be good. I have a Craftsman impact wrench, I think the torque is 450ft-lbs in forward, 375 in reverse. Decide what you want to use it for, and get accordingly. Mine's a 1/2inch drive, which suits all my needs. I'd recommend no less than 400 ft-lbs. in reverse. Get an air compressor to suit your needs also. High volume tools like the impact wrench and cut-off tool require larger tanks, and higher hp motors to keep up.

Chanman420q
12-25-2003, 03:33 PM
Originally posted by LTandRaptorider
Never had any Husky tools, but they seem to be good. I have a Craftsman impact wrench, I think the torque is 450ft-lbs in forward, 375 in reverse. Decide what you want to use it for, and get accordingly. Mine's a 1/2inch drive, which suits all my needs. I'd recommend no less than 400 ft-lbs. in reverse. Get an air compressor to suit your needs also. High volume tools like the impact wrench and cut-off tool require larger tanks, and higher hp motors to keep up.

i got a 26gallon 5hp husky air compressor. Would that be enough for the 450 pounds of tourge? and how much do these things usually range for

ZSK
12-25-2003, 04:06 PM
I've used the ones at work and they work great but there are still some jobs that they won't work for. I was taking the wheels off of a stake truck at work and it wouldn't budge the nuts. I put a breaker bar and a 5ft piece of pipe on it and they broke loose like nothing.

12-25-2003, 04:19 PM
i think they are one of those "you get what you pay for" kind of things so I wouldnt cheap out on one.

LTandRaptorider
12-25-2003, 04:30 PM
i got a 26gallon 5hp husky air compressor. Would that be enough for the 450 pounds of tourge? and how much do these things usually range for

That would be fine. Most impact wrenches are believe are rated for 90psi, it's just helpful to have a larger tank, so you don't have to constantly wait for it to build up more air. A 26 gallon tank will probably take off lug nuts on almost all 4 wheels without having to kick on to build up air. Like Jumbo said, you usually get what you pay for. Always buy the best you can afford.

Chanman420q
12-25-2003, 04:38 PM
im buying it to bust off some 27mm bolts that i couldnt get off with a breaker bar. so i hope this works

Woodsrider
12-25-2003, 05:40 PM
im buying it to bust off some 27mm bolts that i couldnt get off with a breaker bar. so i hope this works

Put a four or five foot section of pipe on the breaker bar, they will come loose. I will tell you right now that a Husky 1/2 impact wont take them off. I use impact tools all day every day. If your going to buy one buy an Ingersol Rand. You can get them at any good tool store. I have three 1/2" impacts. My favorite is the new IR2131 titainium, 1000 ft/lbs of torque in reverse. but you get what you pay for, it cost me $250. I also have an older Mac tools 1/2" that maxes out at 700ft/lb. and a very old chicago pneumatic that I use at home that hits at a measly 350ft/lbs.

Good luck

Chanman420q
12-25-2003, 06:06 PM
already tried the pole over the breaker bar, all that happends is, the socket just like "snaps" off so to say. :confused: so the impact wrench is my next idea. also i think the hubs are a 27mm bolt, can anyone conferm this? i just wanna put my god damn axle on already:bandit:

RiPPiNiTuP7
12-25-2003, 06:21 PM
i bet if you bought a higher quality ratchet/socket, 1/2" drive preferably, it would bust it loose.

Chanman420q
12-25-2003, 07:00 PM
Originally posted by RiPPiNiTuP7
i bet if you bought a higher quality ratchet/socket, 1/2" drive preferably, it would bust it loose.

we only use craftsman, other than the socket we have, but it was the only one we could find. so it was either that or nothing

atvrulz
12-25-2003, 07:04 PM
I have a cannondale quad which requires alot of up keep. I recently bought a 30 gallon 5.5 hp craftsman compressor and i have a husky air impact socket (1/2 inch) wrench. I have not used it yet, but think it should save me alot time.

Stevie-D
12-25-2003, 07:06 PM
me thinks it be time to break out the blow torch:devil:

lmao!

Aceman
12-25-2003, 08:17 PM
I don't have metric sockets larger than about 22mm so I just used a standard impact socket on my axle nut. Use a breaker bar and a pipe on a six-point socket and bust it loose. If that won't do it, a half inch impact wrench doesn't stand a chance.

JOEX
12-25-2003, 10:13 PM
already tried the pole over the breaker bar, all that happends is, the socket just like "snaps" off so to say. :confused: so the impact wrench is my next idea. also i think the hubs are a 27mm bolt, can anyone conferm this? i just wanna put my god damn axle on already:bandit:
Yep, 27mm is the stock hub nut size. Only advice I can add is make sure the socket and ratchet are square to the axle to get maximum grip on the nut. And have a high quality socket.

Your sig says you have an LSR axle, the hub nut for it is bigger than stock. I'm pretty sure it is 30mm, I found out the hard way. Had to buy a single socket for about $6.

Joe

Chanman420q
12-26-2003, 10:20 AM
Originally posted by JOEX
Yep, 27mm is the stock hub nut size. Only advice I can add is make sure the socket and ratchet are square to the axle to get maximum grip on the nut. And have a high quality socket.

Your sig says you have an LSR axle, the hub nut for it is bigger than stock. I'm pretty sure it is 30mm, I found out the hard way. Had to buy a single socket for about $6.

Joe

so thats why it came with its own hub nuts....

last night i actually broke the breaker bar trying to get this thing off, so im gunna try the blow tourch idea

Woodsrider
12-26-2003, 10:37 AM
HEHEHE, Did you take the cotter pin out first:D J/P

really though get the nut hotter than chit then give the breaker bar and four foot pipe another shot while the nut is still red.

Chanman420q
12-26-2003, 10:44 AM
Originally posted by soggyrider
HEHEHE, Did you take the cotter pin out first:D J/P

really though get the nut hotter than chit then give the breaker bar and four foot pipe another shot while the nut is still red.

well i busted my dads breaker bar last night, so im gunna buy my self one, and replace his, then get the blow tourch while im there.

How long do i wanna heat it up?? til it starts turning red??

hey could i just melt the SOB off:devil:

komatsu kid
12-26-2003, 12:03 PM
heat it up till its red and spray jb-80 on it and let it cool down then try it, i do this all the time for broken off head bolts in loaders

Aceman
12-26-2003, 02:54 PM
Just heat it up so its glowing orangish-red. Put a six-point socket on it while it is still orange and loosen it up. I've never had a nut that wouldn't come off after it was heated glowing orange and taken off right away.

redroost85
12-26-2003, 04:08 PM
I have a 1/2 inch Ingersol-Rand. The part number is like IR 475 or something. This thing kicks ***. I wanted a good one and am very satisfied with this. I got it for $100 from my parts store buddy.;)

Stevie-D
12-26-2003, 05:37 PM
hey after you get done toasting your axle, take the torch and heat up the inside of youre gas tank so the fuel doesn't freeze:D

J/P:devil:

250rAL
12-27-2003, 11:04 AM
You need to use "manual impact". Put your breaker bar on it with as much force as you can, then hit the breaker with a hammer. Also, some heat will expand the nut and help loosen it's grip. Just don't go overboard with the heat; you don't want to weaken the axle.