PDA

View Full Version : I hope this dont sound stupid, but Ill ask anyways.........

QuadJunkies
12-25-2003, 01:00 PM
I wasnt sure if there was anything out there to use but......... My Daughters mini, We pulled off the Exhuast Headpipe,and could look in to see the piston, it had black oily marks, or possible burn marks on the piston, is there anything to flush threw the system to clean all up the piston and cylinder walls???I hope this all makes sense..... Also, is ther ANYTHING you can use on a CHROME headpipe inside and OUT to clean up any Exhaust oil buildup or residue? Thanks a ton!!!!!!

ewalker302
12-25-2003, 01:10 PM
New can of carb cleaner would prob take a lot off, just put a little oil on top of the cylinder before reassembly.

:bandit:

Pvt. Maggot
12-25-2003, 01:11 PM
they make this stuff for 2 stroke boat engines...i forget the name..but you spray it inside the motor...then let it sit for a little bit..then run it out and it gets rid of all the carbon buildup and stuff..works really good....if i can remember the name i'll post it...it will work in 2 stroke anything even 4 strokes.

400exdad
12-25-2003, 01:39 PM
Personally, I wouldn't do anything to the piston or cylinder, as far as trying to clean it up. I would let it go and maybe clean out the exhaust pipe. Our 80's pipe tends to load up with oil when my little one is putting around on it and not keeping the revs high. I use the oil injection plus I premix a tiny bit too. Like 60:1 or something like that. IMHO, Washing away buildup on the piston/wall is prolly going to cause problems with the rings sealing.

QuadJunkies
12-25-2003, 02:06 PM
Originally posted by 400exdad
Personally, I wouldn't do anything to the piston or cylinder, as far as trying to clean it up. I would let it go and maybe clean out the exhaust pipe. Our 80's pipe tends to load up with oil when my little one is putting around on it and not keeping the revs high. I use the oil injection plus I premix a tiny bit too. Like 60:1 or something like that. IMHO, Washing away buildup on the piston/wall is prolly going to cause problems with the rings sealing. that brings up a good point, I never thought of....;) yeah, we leaned her up, so she doent have all that buildup anymore from the Exhaust,I couldnt believe how much was on there!:eek2: it was about an 1/8th inch thick,but most of its off now ,I just wasnt sure if it was aburn on the psiton were looking at, or buildup,thats why I thought there might be a way to clean it up a bit.......I appreciate all your help guys.......:) Tina

QuadJunkies
12-25-2003, 06:31 PM
anyone alse ever done before?????

ewalker302
12-25-2003, 11:47 PM
So you had build up of 1/8 inside the pipe?

Im just wondering b/c I have a 2 stroke honda scooter (just a toy to run mountain bike trails on) that I havent been able to crank. It's an 85' & has never been into, it always ran fine till one day it just wouldnt start, it would fire w/starting fluid but not run.

Maybe I can just clean the exhaust out.

This thread has been helpful, I was planning to just take off the head & have a look, now I realise I can just take off the pipe & look at it and into the cylinder to see if there is any buildup.

2004TRX450R
12-26-2003, 12:33 AM
quadjunkies,

There should be a think layer of black over the piston. If not it is running way to rich. As the fuel comes into the cylender it goes across the top of the piston. If it is to rich it will wash off the top of the piston and make it really clean. You want to have just a little wash right where the transer ports are but not much. If it is getting that much of a layer in the pipe then you might want to consider useing a different oil that doesn't leave as much residue or check the oil pumps adjustment.

400exdad,

I wouldn't recomend adding more oil to the gas if you are useing the oil system on the bike. You are leaning out the air/fuel mixture and adding more oil that is just going to make more of a mess and carbon things up faster. It seems oil injection bikes get plenty of oil to begin with so you are probably hindering more than helping by adding more oil.

ewalker302,

try just loosening up the exhaust bolts at the head. If the exhaust system is plugged this will allow enough exhaust to go through so that it will start. I have seen a few of those exhaust systems get plugged. Also how long had it been since you ran it last and it wouldn't start? The most common thing I see with those is the carbs need to be cleaned and/or the fuel tank gets rusty and the rust goes into the carb and it needs cleaned. Also if you haven't checked it in awhile check and make sure the air filter is clean. If it get's clogged it won't want to start very well either.

wilkin250r
12-26-2003, 02:23 AM
Originally posted by Pvt. Maggot
they make this stuff for 2 stroke boat engines...i forget the name..but you spray it inside the motor...then let it sit for a little bit..then run it out and it gets rid of all the carbon buildup and stuff..works really good....if i can remember the name i'll post it...it will work in 2 stroke anything even 4 strokes.

There are many different types of decarbonizers, probably the most common is called SeaFoam, but I'm not sure I'd recomend using it in your quad engine. I don't think they are quite the same type of engine.

QuadJunkies
12-26-2003, 09:53 AM
the black onthe piston isnt all over it, just a few spots ,to me..Its looks like a burn mark,just hard to see looking up at that angle w/o having it all the way off......Yeah, since the buildup, oil has been swapped out and it was leaned out a bit too. :)

ewalker302
12-26-2003, 11:12 AM
Originally posted by 2004TRX450R
quadjunkies,

ewalker302,

try just loosening up the exhaust bolts at the head. If the exhaust system is plugged this will allow enough exhaust to go through so that it will start. I have seen a few of those exhaust systems get plugged. Also how long had it been since you ran it last and it wouldn't start? The most common thing I see with those is the carbs need to be cleaned and/or the fuel tank gets rusty and the rust goes into the carb and it needs cleaned. Also if you haven't checked it in awhile check and make sure the air filter is clean. If it get's clogged it won't want to start very well either.

It's been about a year and a half since i ran it, it was doing great, then I ran the battery down trying to start it. Bought a new battery & tried it many many times, it fires a little, but wont start.

A few years earlier It sorta did the same thing, The exhaust hole, smaller than a dime was stopped up by a dirtdauber/wasp, whatever. I cleaned that out & it ran great for a few years.

When it is turning over now there is exhaust coming out, not very hard though.

the filter's clean & the plug is firing.

I had an odessey 250 2 stroke & after about 2 years we had to remove the exhaust, heat it with a torch & beat it with a mallet to get the buildup out.

I was figuring it must be either build up in the exhaust, or compression chamber?? will that happen to 2 strokes?

I'll try cleaning the carb, although I know its getting gas b/c the plug will be wet after extensive starting trys.

It has a seperate oil tank & auto premixes.
If this has stopped working will the engine just not start at all?

It just stumps me b/c it ran great, never sputtered or anything, then just wouldn't crank
Thanks,

cals400ex
12-26-2003, 11:48 AM
Originally posted by wilkin250r
There are many different types of decarbonizers, probably the most common is called SeaFoam, but I'm not sure I'd recomend using it in your quad engine. I don't think they are quite the same type of engine.

yeah, seafoam is probally one of the best products that i have used before. i have used it in my quad, but it didn't make a difference. however, when ran through my oil in my camaro, it did do some cleaning. i probally won't use it in my quad again unless it needs cleaned pretty bad. if it was that bad though, i would probally take it apart and clean it.

2004TRX450R
12-26-2003, 12:10 PM
ewalker,

Ya if it has been awhile since you ran it clean the carb. At least flush the fuel system and drain the carb and try again. If that don't work clean it. You can also do like I said and crack the exhaust. If it is plugged up that will let it start.

400exdad
12-27-2003, 09:00 AM
450R, it was suggested by a competent engine builder that the premix (along with the injection) was a good idea... the idea being his. :) Anyway, if the jetting is richened to compensate for the oil, it should be no problem. Because of my porting and higher rpm's than the motor/oil injection was originally designed for, I feel a little more comfortable with the extra oil in the gas. At 60:1 or so, I need to go out and check, but, the oil is so minor I even run it in my lawn equipment without any trouble.

Live2Ride300
12-27-2003, 09:06 AM
Originally posted by Pvt. Maggot

Fogging Oil?

skemp
12-27-2003, 11:18 AM
QuadJunkies, that carbon on the piston is supposed to be there, like said above. It is one way we can see how a 2 stroke is running, called piston wash. It is much more consistent than plug reading. If you were to take off the head and look at the top of the piston, you would likely see a mostly black piston, with clean half moons around the transfer ports about the size of a pinky fingernail. That would be in a properly running motor, that is. So you don't have anything to worry about unless the entire piston is black. Then you are running lean and will need to richen the jetting a bit.

P.S. I don't like to run any kind of fuel additive through 2 strokes. At least not on a regular basis. With such high RPM's and piston movement, scuffing or lean burn are much more possible. JMO.

cals400ex
12-27-2003, 11:28 AM
Originally posted by skemp
QuadJunkies, that carbon on the piston is supposed to be there, like said above. It is one way we can see how a 2 stroke is running, called piston wash. It is much more consistent than plug reading. If you were to take off the head and look at the top of the piston, you would likely see a mostly black piston, with clean half moons around the transfer ports about the size of a pinky fingernail. That would be in a properly running motor, that is. So you don't have anything to worry about unless the entire piston is black. Then you are running lean and will need to richen the jetting a bit.

P.S. I don't like to run any kind of fuel additive through 2 strokes. At least not on a regular basis. With such high RPM's and piston movement, scuffing or lean burn are much more possible. JMO.

so if the entire top of the piston is black, your running lean?? does this apply to 4-strokes too?? i don't know how you would guess if your running lean on the pilot, needle, or main jet though?

QuadJunkies
12-27-2003, 05:43 PM
Originally posted by skemp

P.S. I don't like to run any kind of fuel additive through 2 strokes. At least not on a regular basis. With such high RPM's and piston movement, scuffing or lean burn are much more possible. JMO. Whew. thats a relief!:cool: Im glad you dont all think Im a total dork for asking these questions,thanks for all your help......;) Well, the whole thing isnt covered just a few spots. I wonder If I can somehow take a pic of what Im looking at.....:confused: and post it........

JDiablo
12-28-2003, 08:28 AM
did neone ever try or think of going to a powdercoating shop or a shop that can sand blast the inside of use da beads to clean the inside of the header pipe by spraying the stuff in there?i no it prob sounds stupid (lol) but jus wondering if neone has every done it.:blah:

2004TRX450R
12-28-2003, 11:42 AM
Originally posted by cals400ex
so if the entire top of the piston is black, your running lean?? does this apply to 4-strokes too?? i don't know how you would guess if your running lean on the pilot, needle, or main jet though?

Yes if it is completely black it is running lean. I would imagine if it was running WAY lean it would start to burn it all back off but if your jetting is anywhere near close that would tell you a little. You can't really tell exactly where it is running lean or rich though. It would be more or less an average. It is kinda like pulling the plug after you have been rideing for awhile. It really doesn't tell you much of anything because you don't know what circuit is causing the color on the plug. And no it doesn't really apply to 4 strokes in the same mannor as two strokes because there are no transfer ports in the sides of the cylender.

KILLER EX
12-28-2003, 08:07 PM
to clean carbon out of the engine put some water in a spray bottle pull the airbox tube off the back of the carb start the quad rev it up while spraying the water at the back of the carb the suction will take the water through the entire engine and out through the exhaust . you will see a noticable performance increase depending on the carbon build up.

skemp
12-28-2003, 10:13 PM
Originally posted by KILLER EX
to clean carbon out of the engine put some water in a spray bottle pull the airbox tube off the back of the carb start the quad rev it up while spraying the water at the back of the carb the suction will take the water through the entire engine and out through the exhaust . you will see a noticable performance increase depending on the carbon build up.

:huh

QuadJunkies
12-28-2003, 11:52 PM
well, the Pipe is TOTALLY clenaed out after many hours of chiping away and soaking the inside with Brake cleaner..... WOW!! What a differenve it made getting all the YUK out of it!!!!:eek2: Repacked the pipe , added new vairer(sp?) weights and it runs like a raped ape!!:blah: :macho This turned out to be a VERY helpful thread! you guys are AWESOME!