PDA

View Full Version : XC linkage

K_Fulk
12-25-2003, 08:40 AM
I saw this on Gt thunders website, Thought some of you guys might be interested.

http://www.gtthunder.com/400exRearLink.jpg

This rear link for the 400ex is designed to replace the front link of the rear linkage for those who are running 20 inch rear tires and a stock rear shock.It will allow you to lower your bike to a very popular ride height for XC racing as well as adding extra wheel travel

ReconRider25
12-25-2003, 09:52 AM
how much is that thing?

coryatver
12-25-2003, 12:41 PM
will it work with shocks with sag?

Dave400ex
12-25-2003, 03:00 PM
That looks very interesting. How much does that cost?

K_Fulk
12-25-2003, 04:20 PM
It is $75. Its supposed to be for a stock shock. I don't think it would work with ssd or zps style shocks probobly sag too much. Maybe Lazarus will get on here and answer some more questions about them.

Here is the email I sent with the questions I asked and his response.

Hi i have a few questions about the rear linkage. Would it be alrigtfor mx racing? I use pep limited mass shocks witch sit pretty high would it work ok for lowering the rear without bottoming? Or would running 18 inch tires cause it to bottom out? Would I have to have anything done to the shock to get it to work correctly?

I have used a lowering strut before but that just doesnt work right for my application. Thanks for your time.

You bring up some very good questions.

Several issues here.

1. This link sets the height for 20 inch tires and would lower your bike to much for 18 inch tires. If I get several requests for it I will gladly design and build one for 18 inch tires for MX racing.

2. You mention PEP shocks - this link is designed to work to have the correct wheel travel when using a stock shock. If you use an aftermarket shock that has the same compressed length and extended length as stock, it should work fine. The other issue with that is the spring diameter - as long as the aftermarket spring is the same O.D. as stock, it will work fine.

3. You mention using a lowering link before - The lowering link that replaces the rear link, lowers the bike by lengthening the rear link - when you do that your overall length of the rear linkage setup is to long and does not reach as a high a peak velocity just before bottoming and as such gives you a more linear rate vs. the high variable rate that has proven to work best, since it gives maximum bottoming protection while still giving a plush ride.

Happy Holidays

LS

bmw500hp
12-25-2003, 04:27 PM
All of this makes sense.....BUT...

If you were to send your AXIS rear shock WITH the Lazurus Custom LT link, to your shock builer, could the shock builder make the necessary adjustments or mods to make the system work in unison? or is it absolutely necessary to use the stock shock :confused:

K_Fulk
12-25-2003, 04:32 PM
Maybe they could but I think this is mainly for people to lower their rear end. Without going through the expense of getting a aftermarket shock.

I just put it on here for people that may want to lower there rear end some can see it.

bmw500hp
12-25-2003, 04:59 PM
Originally posted by K_Fulk
Maybe they could but I think this is mainly for people to lower their rear end. Without going through the expense of getting a aftermarket shock.

I just put it on here for people that may want to lower there rear end some can see it.

Don't get me wrong dude, I think it's a terrific idea! and glad you took the time to share the find!

It would seem like Lazurus is onto something (again) that can be developed toward a variety of applications.

Maybe he will post a bit more about the do's and don'ts....

Doibugu2
12-25-2003, 05:53 PM
that looks very similar to the thing Elka came out with. There's is like 300 but it supposed to help with the bucking bronco affect.

12-26-2003, 07:58 AM
Originally posted by Doibugu2
that looks very similar to the thing Elka came out with. There's is like 300 but it supposed to help with the bucking bronco affect.

THe elka kit also comes with new springs and I think 2 new Links.. A lot more too it compared to GT Thunders but the GT thunder one looks to be a nice feature witha stock rear..

gump
12-27-2003, 09:13 AM
do they have one for a z400??

Dave400ex
12-27-2003, 09:58 AM
I know Houser and Elka do, but they both require an aftermarket rear shock for the longer travel!

12-28-2003, 07:08 AM
Originally posted by gump
do they have one for a z400??

Elka does...:cool: You can see pics on their site..

remlapr
12-28-2003, 11:20 PM
The Elka setup is a complete replacement for the whole rear linkage.

Dave400ex
12-29-2003, 08:39 AM
Remlapr how much does the Linkage help? Right now I'm using the rebuild rear, and I think the setup should be better. Is it worth it?

12-29-2003, 09:12 AM
Originally posted by Dave400ex
Remlapr how much does the Linkage help? Right now I'm using the rebuild rear, and I think the setup should be better. Is it worth it?

You get like 1.5 more inches of travel and from what i've heard it helps a ton in keeping the rear end from swapping around over the rough stuff. I'll be getting this setup any day now and will be doing a full review on it. Everything from pics of the install, to all the actuall parts, ride review, etc, etc, etc.:cool:

Dave400ex
12-29-2003, 09:14 AM
Rico sounds good. If you need a second opinion, bring that sucker to the Badlands and I can test it! :devil:

remlapr
12-29-2003, 11:09 AM
Originally posted by Dave400ex

I still can't really say - I rode yesterday and messed with the setup a little bit more, but it still feels too stiff to me - but I don't think that's anything to do with the linkage, just the shock. Rico should be able to give a better review since he is already used to his Elka rear. I went straight from a stocker to the full Elka rear setup.

Doibugu2
12-29-2003, 11:26 AM
Originally posted by Rico
You get like 1.5 more inches of travel and from what i've heard it helps a ton in keeping the rear end from swapping around over the rough stuff. I'll be getting this setup any day now and will be doing a full review on it. Everything from pics of the install, to all the actuall parts, ride review, etc, etc, etc.:cool:

Put the beer can down and get out there and ride it will ya.

Let me know how your GT stuff turned out.

racerx5x5
01-13-2004, 09:23 PM
Has anyone tested that setup yet?

markk
01-14-2004, 11:17 AM
how far doesn it set down? and will it still work with 22"'s

K_Fulk
01-14-2004, 12:25 PM
I dont know the answers to your questions but this guy can, lsommers@bright.net