PDA

View Full Version : New 400ex not running too well anymore

cbr1100xx
12-24-2003, 07:00 PM
I was riding tonight and ended up get the new bike stuck in about a foot of soupy mud. It was so bad i have to have to other guys help me get it out. Then I tried to tow another quad out of the mud with mine. The problem I had afterward was my bike would not go into neutral. Once I let it cool down is seems to work now, but the shifts are not as firm as I am used to out of my hondas. Did I do any permanent damage? Is the 400ex built in a way that it can take that much mud? :(

Pappy
12-24-2003, 07:44 PM
how new is this quad?

if its brand new you may have done damage...thats why there is a break in procedure. it could be that you damaged something regardless of the age of the quad.

id start by changing the oil and inspecting it closely for metal or if you managed to get water in it in some fashion.

ReconRider25
12-24-2003, 07:47 PM
you did break it in correctly right? and did you do any powershifting? cuz that could wear out a tranny pretty quickly. but i dont see how deep mud could affect the tranny.:confused:

cbr1100xx
12-24-2003, 07:49 PM
Actually it is still on it's first tank of gas. I guess we will see how it runs tomorrow. I will check the oil in the morning though.

coryatver
12-24-2003, 09:42 PM
You might just need to adjust the clutch cable. It might have streched becuase it is new. 400ex's can take a lot of mud. You should be ok. But I would stay out of the deep mud and towing untill you get that thing broke in.

cals400ex
12-24-2003, 11:05 PM
did you leave it running while it was stuck. to me it sounds like it may have overheated. i would check the basics and also adjust the valves.

you could have bought a polaris and then you wouldn't have to worry about durability. :rolleyes:

chucked
12-25-2003, 06:49 AM
you could have bought a polaris and then you wouldn't have to worry about durability.
lmao

cbr1100xx
12-25-2003, 08:57 AM
LOL, funny you mentioned Polaris. There was a 250 there that seized and won't turn over anymore. I did turn it off while stuck, so no over heating. I am hoping it is a clutch issue. Another symptom is that it was trying to roll forward while I was starting it. I think the coryatver is right. Maybe it's a clutch adjustment. Thanks guys.

Red00Honda400EX
12-25-2003, 09:42 AM
On a side note: you know these quads do have a break in period like mentioned before, right? I don't know about others but I broke mine in correctly and never had any problems with it afterwards. Read the manual and check up on it to make sure you're doing everything correct. I forget but break in was around 5-10 hours.

Chef
12-25-2003, 10:12 AM
The damage obviously didnt come from the mud, it came from you trying to pull someone out with your 400. NEVER use a sport quad to pull on something heavy like that.

Out_Sider
12-25-2003, 12:26 PM
you can use a sport quad to pull......but not when its on its first tank of gas!!!!!!!!!!! if your running it hard like that when its new your gonna have nothing but problems with that 400ex for the rest of its (the 400s) life. break in the most important stage of the quad.....it determines wether it will be a POS or a stronge runner!!!

12-25-2003, 04:13 PM
if your driving through mud like this & pulling people it sounds like you should have gotten yourself a utility...just an opinion ;)

cals400ex
12-25-2003, 07:45 PM
Originally posted by Jumbo747
if your driving through mud like this & pulling people it sounds like you should have gotten yourself a utility...just an opinion ;)

exactly, a polaris sounds perfect!! :D no, just kidding.
yeah, the owners manual has the clutch lever adjustment procedure. check that out. it might not hurt to change the oil in that bike either.

ewalker302
12-26-2003, 12:54 AM
A 400 will eat mud & pull out other quads all day, I ride in mud lot's & I will never have another utility. At least if the 400 gets stuck you can pull it out by hand unless you are a wimp or scared of mud. When your 4x4 gets stuck then you are screwed.

Anyway, I figure you revved the piss out of it both when you got it stuck & when you tried to pull the other guy out & ran it way too hot before the rings could seat.

On the first tank of gas?????????????
Are you nuts?

My advice clean it up, sell it & get another one, break it in right.

Otherwise start saving for a rebuild probably sooner than later.

:bandit:

cbr1100xx
12-27-2003, 07:21 AM
Ok guys, I let it cool down and all is well. It is running like a champ again. Thanks for all the input, and i agree a 4x4 would have gotten just as stuck in this crap, and would have required a truck to get out. i am happy with my 400ex purchase for my needs. The only complaint I have is the damn parking brake.

cals400ex
12-27-2003, 12:16 PM
Originally posted by cbr1100xx
Ok guys, I let it cool down and all is well. It is running like a champ again. Thanks for all the input, and i agree a 4x4 would have gotten just as stuck in this crap, and would have required a truck to get out. i am happy with my 400ex purchase for my needs. The only complaint I have is the damn parking brake.

a parking brake block off comes in pretty handy!!