PDA

View Full Version : need power

fmf400ex03
12-24-2003, 03:56 PM
i have a fmf t4 (45pilot 170mj) k&n open box what else can i do for more speed and torque for some idea so my machine will rip nasty????/thanx

EXrider03
12-24-2003, 04:33 PM
lots of stuff if your willing too pay! put a bottle of nos and no one will want none.

4TraxRider
12-24-2003, 05:10 PM
Look into a cam and high compression piston, or a degree key, a carburator, or you can send your engine out to an engine builder to make it really rip.

12-24-2003, 05:17 PM
Originally posted by 4TraxRider
Look into a cam and high compression piston, or a degree key, a carburator, or you can send your engine out to an engine builder to make it really rip.

cals400ex
12-24-2003, 10:44 PM
yep, a cam and piston will really wake your bike up from where your at now. here are a few things to check:

1. your jetting looks rich to me. that will hurt performance especially in the upper gears if your rich. whats the temp and elevation your at now??
2. make sure your throttle cable is adjusted properly. what i am saying is that your throttle lever shouldn't have a 1/2 inch of play in it or more. i usually like between 1/8 and 1/4 of an inch.

fmf400ex03
12-25-2003, 07:18 AM
not sure of elevation the jetting might rich and there is no play in my throttle

DaveEX7
12-25-2003, 08:13 AM
Look into a big bore kit such as Sparks 426.... LRD 465..... FDO 463. etc.

Cam
Porting

Theres always the new 450!

12-25-2003, 08:04 PM
Look at your jetting first, seems way rich to me.

Atreyu
12-25-2003, 08:08 PM
Sparks Racing Ignition Advance Key..

"We all want one thing, more power for less money. Such a thing rarely exists and when it is found, it is usually limited to a small few. Well if you crave more power without denting your wallet, look no further than a Curtis Sparks Ignition Advance Key. It is a key that advances your timing 6 degrees giving a snappier throttle and more horsepower. Please note that Curtis Sparks does not recommend this on modified motors due to the extra heat it will generate, so only run this on stock motors. " -written by Cheetah.

tdsongster
12-25-2003, 08:24 PM
I just bought my 400EX so didn't really want to tear the engine apart. However there are a number of things you can do.

I put on a big gun exhaust. Everyone does that, then I put on the K & N, again everyone does that. Next I buught a thin steel head gasket from C&D Racing, raised the compression from 9.2 to about 9.5. Not bad for $20. Then I die grinded down the excess weld where the header connects to, helps with air flow, cost $0.

Next was the 6 deg key from sparks racing, cost ~$25. I then changed the 15 tooth sprocket to 14 tooth (GREAT for trail riding, hill climbing). Finally, I added Elka shocks (speed no good without control). Not counting the shocks, the mods didn't cost much and made a big difference!

There is also a 2nd gasket that can be replaced with a thinner steel one to raise the compression a little more, but is more work to get to.

Point being, there are a number of things that can be done for little money!

There are probable more things that can be done, call C&D Racing about this.

Hope this helps.

cals400ex
12-25-2003, 08:39 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by tdsongster
[B]I just bought my 400EX so didn't really want to tear the engine apart. However there are a number of things you can do.

I put on a big gun exhaust. Everyone does that, then I put on the K & N, again everyone does that. Next I buught a thin steel head gasket from C&D Racing, raised the compression from 9.2 to about 9.5. Not bad for $20. Then I die grinded down the excess weld where the header connects to, helps with air flow, cost $0.

Next was the 6 deg key from sparks racing, cost ~$25. I then changed the 15 tooth sprocket to 14 tooth (GREAT for trail riding, hill climbing). Finally, I added Elka shocks (speed no good without control). Not counting the shocks, the mods didn't cost much and made a big difference!

There is also a 2nd gasket that can be replaced with a thinner steel one to raise the compression a little more, but is more work to get to.

the stock compression is 9.1:1. putting in the flexsteel headgasket will probally not raise the compression that high. also, you should have just drilled the rivot out of the stock headgasket and use one layer of the 3-layered stock headgasket. just put high temp paint on one of the layers and you will be set. using this one headgasket probally wouldn't even raise the compression 3 tenths if i had to guess. my friend did this and just removed the base gasket from his cylinder and he "thinks" there was a gain, but not much. i will probally be using one headgasket when i take my down that far again. good luck

i still say put in a piston and cam even though you just got the bike. however, its your bike and don't expect it to run too much faster without going into the engine. yes, a turbo and nos can be used, but in some cases its not practical.