PDA

View Full Version : O-Ring Chain?

hondaex03
12-24-2003, 09:42 AM
How does and O-Ring chain help and what is the difference?:confused:

cals400ex
12-24-2003, 10:38 AM
the 0-ring chains are suppose to be a little more durable. the o-rings themselves are suppose to help keep debris out. not too many people run non o-ring chains. i am debating on it because i have been told they produce less friction. i figure that is less power lost. i wouldn't consider a non o-ring unless you don't see mud and water very often though. i believe many people are running the X-ring chains now.

Narly R
12-24-2003, 11:52 AM
I run a o-ring chain and LOVE it. I had a x-ring (or whatever they are called) and it wasnt as strong at the o-ring. The o-ring seems to be "less bendable" like my other would just flop all over, but the o-ring doesnt seem to be like that, but you always have to keep them REALLY lubed.

2004TRX450R
12-24-2003, 03:20 PM
Get an O or X ring chain. The X rings are supposed to seal a little better and last longer. I gurantee you will not see any difference in power useing one over the other and the O-ring chain will last a lot longer. The O-ring chains actually need less lube than a nonO-ring chain. The O-rings seal the lube in the chain so the most important thing with them is keeping them cleaned with a light lube on them. A nonO-ring chain you should keep very lubed as the lube will come out while rideing.

12-24-2003, 03:51 PM
non o-ring chains will stretch & wear faster than an o-ring chain, I also don't think theres a big difference from the o-ring chains to the x-rings except $$$ :rolleyes:

2004TRX450R
12-24-2003, 07:31 PM
Originally posted by Jumbo747
non o-ring chains will stretch & wear faster than an o-ring chain, I also don't think theres a big difference from the o-ring chains to the x-rings except $$$ :rolleyes:

Yes they will wear faster but I don't think they will stretch faster. That has to do with the strenght of the links not so much the lube in them. But I guess if you wear the holes and pins there will be more of a gap so I guess it would kinda be stretched faster. I guess it depends on how you look at it. The X ring is just a modified O-ring and is supposed to seal better therefore being a better chain. A lot of the new O-ring chains are actually X-ring.

12-24-2003, 07:47 PM
Originally posted by 2004TRX450R
Yes they will wear faster but I don't think they will stretch faster. That has to do with the strenght of the links not so much the lube in them. that makes sense ;)

ewalker302
12-24-2003, 09:17 PM
Tip

Make certain if you are using an O or X ring chain you buy chain lube that says on the can (For O ring chains).

I have read that reg chain lube will eventually degrade the O rings.

:bandit: