PDA

View Full Version : 400EX brakes SUCK!! Part 2

08-17-2001, 02:07 PM
I road this weekend with my parking brake off and a brand new set of EBC FULL METALLIC pads.Guess what I found after 5 hours of riding?My pads were half gone!Needless to say I was pissed.Next I will lub that pin the brake pedal is connected to.If that doesn't work I'm going to trade for a 2002 Rapter.I am that upset about the situation.Honda says that my problem would happen to any quad that is riden in sand,mud,and or water conditions but we all know better than that.Thanks for all the help guys,glad to see it's not just me.Sounds like Honda needs to address the problem.Do I hear class action?HA HA...........

Leo
08-17-2001, 02:23 PM
you can get a raptor, but the brakes are made by the same company...

take a look in rocky mountain or dennis kirk, you will be amazed how many quads take the same pad p/n, because they all use the same caliper ;)

lube up the brake pedal pivot point, and if your riding in really nasty stuff consider going to a solid rotor.

Leo

trx400ex
08-17-2001, 03:05 PM
Originally posted by Leo
you can get a raptor, but the brakes are made by the same company...

take a look in rocky mountain or dennis kirk, you will be amazed how many quads take the same pad p/n, because they all use the same caliper ;)

lube up the brake pedal pivot point, and if your riding in really nasty stuff consider going to a solid rotor.

Leo

very good point leo, what is this though ..my brake pads went out so now i have to get a new quad lmfao..ive bent broken and twisted alot of stuff on my 400 but ive never once screwed with the brakes , and there like new...even if a raptor had diffrent calipers i guess you would like the other common raptor problems........400EX BRAKES SUCK....come on have you ever ridden a blaster

MOFO
08-17-2001, 03:46 PM
Ok, your rear brakes SHOULD NOT wear out that fast. Either you have a problem with your rotor (is it bent at all?), ride in some real BAD sh*t,or you need to lay off the brakes a bit ;) I would pull your caliper apart and clean it up really good. No need to trade that beast in on a Raptor because it has a rear brake problem... :)

Eric

booneTRX
08-17-2001, 04:55 PM
Originally posted by Blayde24
I road this weekend with my parking brake off and a brand new set of EBC FULL METALLIC pads.Guess what I found after 5 hours of riding?My pads were half gone!Needless to say I was pissed.Next I will lub that pin the brake pedal is connected to.If that doesn't work I'm going to trade for a 2002 Rapter.I am that upset about the situation.Honda says that my problem would happen to any quad that is riden in sand,mud,and or water conditions but we all know better than that.Thanks for all the help guys,glad to see it's not just me.Sounds like Honda needs to address the problem.Do I hear class action?HA HA...........

I don't think one person with a brake problem would constitute a class-action lawsuit!!!!!!!!!

Sounds like you have a bad piston. Probably wrecked the seal and water rusted up the piston, causing your brake to drag. Either that or you need to pick up your right foot off the lever.

skemp
08-17-2001, 07:52 PM
I replaced my pads only once, and a new rotor went along with it. All that happened was I bent my rotor and it ate the pads in 3 weeks. This is with a constant scratch, scratch, scratch noise and a light jerking under slow speeds. You could visually see the rotor was bent with the quad stopped it was so bad, but with all this, it took 3 weeks of riding every day after school to wear them out. It is hard to believe that after 5 hours of riding, the pads were half gone. I would say the pedal is sticking, or you are mistaking the pedal with the footpeg.

My pedal was sticking badly, but my rotor was bent at the time, so it didn't matter all that much. I just lubed it up good and I have had no problems with that or my brakes since.

I mainly just use the front brakes, because the rears lock up too easily to use for stopping fast. My stock front pads have been used A LOT since I got the quad last year, and they have about 3/4 to 7/8 of the pad left. My rear pads have no visual wear since I installed them several months ago.

It isn't the brakes on this one, at least I cannot see how, but I think you have a mechanical problem. The pads will not wear that fast under normal conditions, at least in my experience.

08-19-2001, 12:33 AM
i took my 400 to a mx track and rode for 6 hours in muds clay and my pretty new pad were gone by the end of the ride...i also read in dirtbike that riding in 20 min motos can eat up a set of pads..i know it's dirtbike but still....it's really where the mud is clay and gritty stuff eat em up

Revin300EX
08-19-2001, 08:02 PM
Ill bet this guy is also having trouble with his bearings... Did Honda make those wrong too? :devil

86atc250r
08-19-2001, 09:24 PM
Brake pads are consumables, the more you use them, the nastier the conditions, the faster they'll need replaced - at least they're fairly cheap.

Sounds to me like you are looking for something to complain about, if that's all you can find, you should feel lucky - or maybe you really need to just buy that Raptor and see what it's REALLY like on the other side (take a quick peek at bluetrax if you want to see what kinds of things Raptor owners complain about.)

Try a solid rotor if you feel that you're going thru pads too quickly, heck, if you're having that much trouble, spend a little green and get a 250R dual piston rear caliper and solid rotor, you'll have a FAR better braking setup than any Yamaha ATV ever dreamed of - As Leo said the Raptor caliper is IDENTICAL to the 400EX - the last set of pads I bought, I got at a local Yamaha shop, they were for a Raptor.

If you'd been around the sport much at all, you'd be well aware of brake pad life, I've dealt with it on my hydraulic disk bikes for 15 years now - it's no different now than it was back then.

TRFOXX
08-22-2001, 08:56 AM
Well im changing my brake pads for the 3rd time now and my machine is only 5 months old! Yeah i ride in pretty bad conditions and steep hills but i never thought id have to change the pads this many times so soon! Im not going to go out and buy a new machine or anything because of this but this is getting expensive
$110 dollars in 5 months only in brake pads thats ****ed! Hopfully that these EBC Severe SV Duty Grade FA-84 will be a little better because the 84-R suck! Im glad to see that im not the only one that thinks that Honda rear brakes suck. I had my 92 quad racer 250 for 5 years and only had to change the pads once!:grr

86atc250r
08-22-2001, 09:01 AM
Did your QR have a solid rotor? If so, then your conditions may require it's use - get a solid rotor for your 400.

That's the trick, buying the correct parts for your intended application.

oynot400
08-22-2001, 12:53 PM
I was riding my 400 last weekend and I noticed that my rear brake was sticking. The only way to release it was to break the line loose and release the pressure. What would be causing this? :confused: My one friend has a banshee and his is doing the same thing. Should the brake fluid be changed or have the caliper rebuilt. Has anyone else had this problem?

08-22-2001, 08:10 PM
the stick sounds more like its the master cylinder than caliper

08-23-2001, 12:50 AM
Quit using your brakes that will fix it.:huh

400ex Magnum
08-23-2001, 07:22 AM
I had to change the stock rear pads on my 2001 400 after one weekend at Silver Lake and one weekend at Wayne National Forest. I replaced the pads with solid brass brake pads from Box Brakes. ( www.boxbrakes.com ) . I took the caliber apart last night to clean it after riding at Wayne last weekend and the brass pads hardly had any wear on them at all. The stopping power is marginally less than with the stock pads, but still more than adequate stopping power. After my next ride and clean up, I will post a thread with a picture of them compared to the stock pads for comparison (they will have equal time on them at that point).

Edit: Apparently his website is not working. If anybody is interested, please email me and I will send you his email address.

08-23-2001, 08:55 PM
here is what i found. if you run any set of pads down low enugh to get the backings into the rotor, and gaul the rotor, then the next set of pads usually only last one ride. if i do run my pads down and dammage the rotor i just throw a set of cheap pads on and let them clean up the rotor, then replace them with the a set of ebc sintered pads. if the rotor is smooth with no blemishes or gauling the pads usually last me 8 or 10 rides. I beat the crap out of my stuff too, ride in sand, mud, thru creeks, my brakes have seen it all. but then again that is my experience. but I will venture to say that you scuffed your rotor with your pad backings, and just threw a set of pads on it without cleaning up your rotor.

86atc250r
08-24-2001, 02:00 AM
That is correct... I was taking for granted that everyone knew that if the surface of the rotor was ripped up, the next set of pads would get eaten VERY quickly.