PDA

View Full Version : Filling handlebars with foam??

Glamis400ex
12-23-2003, 08:03 PM
Anyone ever fill their bars with expando-foam or silicon caulking for some vibration resistance?

Glamis

stupid driver
12-23-2003, 08:09 PM
i had silicone in my old ones till i got new ones. The silicone imo helped with the hand vibrations. Its no subsitute for say, a stabilizer or some set of high $$ bars, but it is a good cheap mod that helps.

Glamis400ex
12-23-2003, 08:34 PM
That's what I figured, just a temp thing for a little more vibration damping. In no way would I substitute silicone for a GPR or WER unit.

Thanks,

Glamis

NacsMXer
12-25-2003, 12:54 PM
Don't use that expanding foam insulation stuff because when it dries, it is of a dry feeling like that of styrofoam. When I put my new X5s on, I pumped em full of silicone in a caulking gun through a small hole I made in the side of one of the grips. That way, the silicone was more pressurized inside the bars. Ive used this setup in aggressive MX conditions with my steering stabilizer with great results in vibration dampening. The great thing about the silicone is that it dries to a still flexible jelly-like state that absorbs vibrations very well. Now im gonna be switching over for the T2s to make freestylin a little easier on myself and Im gonna silicone them too. Sure wouldnt hurt anything to try!! :D

TORO1968
12-26-2003, 09:45 AM
Hey, check out this thread and see my reply...there's some useful info there.

http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=62088

If any you want a copy of my report, just let me know, and I'll e-mail it to ya!

-Jordan

duneittilludie
12-27-2003, 11:30 PM
Another way to dampen vibration in your bars is to plug one end up with silicone and let it dry all the way and then stand the bars up and fill with a heavyweight oil.Once the bars are full or close to it plug the other end with more silicone and let it dry and you will have a very effective vibration dampener that will not dry out and lose its effectiveness over time.

michigan rider
12-28-2003, 06:08 PM
sounds like a great rust preventitive too :p