PDA

View Full Version : Race Gas Half & Half mix (stock engine) benefits??

ewalker302
12-22-2003, 10:50 PM
Would it be a waste of money & time to run half & half premium & race gas in a stock (pipe, filter, degree key) 400????

I tried searching this forum, but could'nt find any threads about this except in reference to higher displacement/compression engines.

Are there any beneifits (performance), or could it harm my engine????

I have always just run pump high grade 92+ in my 400.

I'm wondering if it (race gas mix) would give me a slight performance edge when drag/hillclimb racing.

:bandit:

12-22-2003, 11:01 PM
unless you run high comp. you dont need it... it does not do anything for the performance of the machine.. it might give better gasmileage but is that rally worth the 3 or 4 bucks a gallon... basically the higher the comp. in your engine the higher octane you will need to keep the fuel from exploding to soon because of the higer abount of heat the higher comp make... maybe too confusing but with a stock engine you only need 92 or soo and if you run race gas on stock comp. i call it a waste of money... and the term "Race" gas is kind of misleading.. it doesnt offer better performance, jsut is compatible with engines built for racing:)

ewalker302
12-22-2003, 11:11 PM
Yeah I completley understand that higher octane = higher ignitinon temp.

After having the block decked & putting higher comp pistons in my Bronco, I have to run premium or at least midgrade gas to keep it from igniting (dieseling) when I kill it.

I was just wondering if I would be able to tell any difference if I ran a mix just when I knew I was going to be riding w/my buddies that like to race all day. Like 1/2 quad length or less over 300 yards would decide the wilnner in a lot our races.

This may be a dumb question, but other than lead, is octane the only difference between race gas & pump gas???

:bandit:

cals400ex
12-23-2003, 01:07 AM
i am not too sure on the race gas vs pump gas. i imagine the race gas is mainly a higher quality gas than you get at the pump most of the time. oh, don't forget, there is a nice difference in the price too. :D

it would probally be a waste to run race gas in your stock motor. i have a feeling jetting, sprockets, tires, properly adjusted throttle cable, weight, etc. play a big factor in drag racing.

RUNMYTA
12-23-2003, 07:03 AM
Here is the deal on race gas/higher octane... You only need the higher octane in higher compression engines. WHY: The higher the octane rating the higher the ignite point of the fuel is. This prevents dieseling/detonation under high compression. Also the higher the octane level "THE SLOWER THE FUEL BURNS" this also helps in preventing detonation.

So if higher octane fuels has a higher ignite point and burns slower as the higher the octane gets, theoretically race gas can slow your engine! :eek2:

So make your own choice if you want to run it or not.

Bigg Pimpin
12-23-2003, 07:22 AM
Simply put the Best octane to run for performance is the lowest octane you can run without detonation(spark knock)!

sleestack68
12-23-2003, 08:30 AM
Yeap, it's a total waste of money. Been there.

wilkin250r
12-23-2003, 10:12 AM
High-octane gas isn't the same as race gas. There are many mixtures that will give you high octane and very poor performance.

The burn rate of race gas isn't necessarily slower than pump gas, and in many cases can be faster.

Race gas often contains oxygenates, which will ADD oxygen when the fuel burns, allowing you to burn more fuel, and thus create more power.

So, if you run straight race gas, you will see a small performance gain over pump gas, but it's really not that significant. With two stock bikes, shifting gears at the proper time will win a race over the fuel any time.

So, yes, there is a slight performance gain using race gas, but it's not that significant. In fact, I would say you probably can't directly feel the difference. Today's fuels actually perform very well. You don't really begin to take advantage of race fuel until you get into a the higher compressions and take advantage of the race fuel's higher octane.

jhr400EX
12-23-2003, 11:02 AM
The only real effect you will get from running race gas in a stock motor is really good smelling exhaust fumes. That stuff smells awesome :D

hondafox440
12-23-2003, 03:00 PM
Originally posted by wilkin250r
High-octane gas isn't the same as race gas. There are many mixtures that will give you high octane and very poor performance.

The burn rate of race gas isn't necessarily slower than pump gas, and in many cases can be faster.

Race gas often contains oxygenates, which will ADD oxygen when the fuel burns, allowing you to burn more fuel, and thus create more power.

So, if you run straight race gas, you will see a small performance gain over pump gas, but it's really not that significant. With two stock bikes, shifting gears at the proper time will win a race over the fuel any time.

So, yes, there is a slight performance gain using race gas, but it's not that significant. In fact, I would say you probably can't directly feel the difference. Today's fuels actually perform very well. You don't really begin to take advantage of race fuel until you get into a the higher compressions and take advantage of the race fuel's higher octane.

There is only a slight gain when you jet correctly, which can be difficult when using race gas. Unless you are spot on with the jetting, chances are you will notice a slight decrease in throttle response..

stupid driver
12-23-2003, 05:04 PM
Race gas/high octane will make a stock engine run cleaner, and a bit cooler. But the reason you are not supposed to run it in a motor that has no use for it, is it will burn way too slowly. In a high compression motor, the fuel and air are in a much different environment than on a stock compression motor. For one, the added compression ratio (no brainer). Also, there is signifinately more heat in the high compression motor than the stock. To control pre-ignition, the high compression motor needs the added octane, which basically retards the point in temp where the fuel will ignite. Thus, the fuel is ignited by the spark plug, not by the heat of the engine. But on a stock motor, the high octane will slow down the burn of the fuel. The result, although not noticeable, is a lesser velocity of the piston being thrust down by the expansion of the fuel. Yes, octane is a very clean fuel. But, fuel manufactures have very strict guidelines on how clean their fuel has to be these days. So, bottom line, high octane/ race gas is not neccessary unless your motor is pinging from pre-detination.

chrisp333
12-23-2003, 05:12 PM
thyer is no reason to run any race gas in a 400 with stock motor.
no benefits no reason. huge waste of money. better off saving your money and buying a 450r.:devil: