PDA

View Full Version : 300ex rebuild...

02-18-2002, 09:15 AM
What are your opinions on rebuilding a '95 300ex, as far as what parts to use, an approximate price, ect.? I found this 300 for $700 and it runs but it needs to be rebuilt, at least the top-end. Needs an exhaust, new tires/wheels. Suspension seems fine, but i may decide to change shocks. And the plastic needs work, it looks kinda oxidized or something. Anyway, what would you guys put on it and for how much? I'm on a $2000 total budget, and it needs a seat cover, chain, bearings, and i want nerfs and a bumper. I want performance but not to the point of unreliabilty, and i want to run regular pump gas in it.

02-18-2002, 04:45 PM
bump

02-18-2002, 05:07 PM
just find a 250x or 300ex that doesnt need to be rebuilt...if your looking to spend 2,000 you can find one...even might have a bumber and nerfs...
check your local paper
my .02

02-18-2002, 05:28 PM
The problem is, there isnt any. Ive been looking for several months now, and all i can find are wasted 250x's and bone stock 300ex's for $3000 or more. For $2000 and this 300 only costing $800 max, i should be able to build a pretty nice Quad. I just wanted opinions, like do i go with a 330 kit, etc.

02-19-2002, 05:58 AM
last bump

Holty
02-19-2002, 07:15 AM
You should be able to find a 250x or 300ex for $2000 easily. check out ebay, sports car trader, cycly trader, etc.

But anyway, to help with your questions.....
If you're 100% sure that it only needs a top end rebuild and not anything else(if it needs bottom & top end I would save my money and wait for something else) than here are my suggestions. Go with a .80 over bore high compression piston and a cam kit. You'll need hard face rockers and h.d. valve springs too. I say go this way because the 330 kit will end up in the long run costing you around $1000 after all the parts and labor. You can get the .80 over piston, cam, rockers, springs, etc...all installed for around $500 give or take. Give the old carb a good cleaning(free or a couple bucks for a rebuild kit), get some new plastic(around $250), wheels and tires($450), front shocks($500), rear shock rebuilt($250). That takes you to right around your spending limit. But remember, always allow for the little things you'll need.....nerfs, new bars, axle, bearings, brakes, etc. I'd skip the shocks at first and get the necessities. Hope this helps.

330EXman
02-19-2002, 08:44 AM
hey i suggest

you buy the small things you ned then go and see what kind of money you have.

if you have enough Duncan racing has a complete kit. this boost cc's to 330 and comes with a cam,piston,sleeving,porting,full race exhaust, whole new top end, carb, air filters, and a few more things, this kit cost you around $1300 and that is counting the installation by Duncan racing. than go with Works shocks these are pretty nice and they will cost you around $330 for the front pair. for plastic i would buy a used set. plastic these days are a Fu**in rip off. but anyways thats my look on this,

also be cafeful of the pistonb you use if you use a piston that boost compression you will have to run 50/50 race gas.

hope i helped allitle.

quadfamily
02-19-2002, 06:18 PM
Like Holty said, get a new .080" oversize piston and have the cylinder bored. Go with around 10.5:1 or maximum of 11:1 if you want to run pump gas. Get a White brothers drop in cam, new rockers, new valvesprings, new cam chain, get the head rebuilt. Look for used seat. Shop around for tires/wheels or reuse your old wheels. Exhaust systems are personal preference as are the bumpers and nerfs.